Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Legacy Outback, 2.5L, cat back high performace exhaust
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my second set of snow tires for the Outback this winter. I wanted to put on Michelen Artic Alpins again but couldn't find any left. Bought Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 2 snow tires and love them. The Michelens were better dry road tires but the Hokkapelitta's work much better in the snow. I would highly recommend them. I noticed that quite a few of the local Subaru's I saw in VT were sporting them this winter.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Tree skier, allegedly you have a set of the absolute best in the name of winter/snow tires. Nokian is the top rated tire for adverse conditions. The treadwear warranty alone is excellent for that type of tire. Now, those are still the dedicated snows and not the all-season WR's or whatever they are now, right? Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
winter only

The Nokian Hokkapelitta's are for winter only. I got 4 season's out of the Alpins and hope to get that from the Nokian's. Running a Michelen all season during the rest of the year. I think they are Rain Force or something like that.

I had a set of Blizzaks on the Saab I owned before the Outback. They wore out in one season.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,112 Posts
Hmmm... I've never even heard of Nokian tires :confused:

I've checked their site and they seem to specialize in winter tires. tree skier, how to these tires perform in regular non-winter weather? I'm a big Michelin fan myself but I'm somewhat curious about this brand. They preach safety all over their website and thats what I'm looking for. Brian you are right about thier warranty, very nice, another reason I'm interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snow tire handling

The OB has a little more body roll in the turns with the Nokian's compared to the all seasons and the alpins. The exit ramp I used to get to work that I took at 70 with the all seasons feels more comfortable at about 60 with the Nokian snows. These snow tires are the real thing with large channels that really get the slush out from under the tires. They feel much more stable during lane changes when there are piles of slush to cross. Dry pavement driving is not great but acceptable. I'll be making the 400 mile drive to VT (each way) every two weeks or so for most to the winter so it's worth the dry pavement scarifice.

My wife has a 2002 Lagacy GT wagon. That baby really handles the dry pavement nicely.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Swedish tires, originally. I think the newer version of the old WR is the WR AWP2. I have heard those are great all seasons and almost beat dedicated snows in the winter. Kevin, as far as snow you really can't beat 'em. As for the price, when do you get your hazardous duty pay:p They aren't cheap. Tree skier can elaborate on the price. Tree skier, please state size of tire and cost if you would please. I'm guessing for his Hakka 2's about $155 a tire in his size. Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hakka's

They are standard size for a 98 OB - 205/70. They cost $110 per tire but that included $16 for mount, balance, valve stem, disposal and insurance. I don't usually get insurance but had already paid for them and was half way across the parking lot before I saw it on the reciept.

I have a set of steel wheels from my alpins that I had them mounted on. Tirerack has some great snows on wheels deals. The alpins landed in my driveway mounted balanced and ready to go for about what I would have paid for just the tires at a lot of tire places. Too bad they don't carry Nokian's. The Artic Alpins do work great for most snow conditions but you can almost drive like it's not there with the Hakka's. Lane changes where you go from plowed to unplowed a back is where I noticed the biggest difference. Crossing over a 60 feels a lot safer with the Hakka's.

And if you feel you need even more traction; they are studable.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
That's a great price, of course that is 70 series. I think for a 205/55/16 it is like $150/tire w/o mounting and balancing. Nonetheless one of the best winter tires out there. Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked on line for the Hakkapeliitta 2's on line but couldn't find price anywhere. I did find 205/55/16 Hakkapeliitta 1's @$107 with shipping at www.discounttiredirect.com.

I'll call the dealer where I purchased mine and get a quote on 205/55/16's.

They would handle better than the 70's but the 70's will get through the snow a little better. If your OB can run 205/70/15's, I'd recommend them if you deal with lots of snow. Skinny is better in the snow. I had 75 series studded snows on steel wheels on my last Saab 99 and would run 60's the rest of the year. That car was almost as good as the OB. It passed a few SUV's that were stuck on the ice.

·
Registered
'06 LOB, '03 Taco, '97 MX-5
785 Posts
Finnish, actually. And as pointed out above, supposedly the best snow & ice tires out there. Rumored to have a very good all-season. And almost impossible to find a local dealer.

So far, the Sumimoto Srixon4's ( H-rated all-seasons) have done OK, getting my wife up our street & driveway.

Hey, we're the highest point in Edgewater!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts