Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Outback 2.5L. 17" rims. I want to buy rims for mud and snow tires for winter, Will 16" or 15" Subaru wheels hurt anything on my car except my MPH. will it mess up my transmission, differential rotation being the car was made for 17's or anything else that deals with rotation because of tire size.

·
Registered
282 Posts
2011 Outback 2.5L. 17" rims. I want to buy rims for mud and snow tires for winter, Will 16" or 15" Subaru wheels hurt anything on my car except my MPH. will it mess up my transmission, differential rotation being the car was made for 17's or anything else that deals with rotation because of tire size.
I've owned the same setup from new. I switch to 215/70R16 snows on steel rims every winter with no problems at all. The speedo error isn't too bad, but it is a major PITA to retrain the ECU for the TPMS sensors twice a year. The dealer will charge you for this, I'm lucky that a local tire dealer will do this for me for free. Don't forget to order a set of lugnuts and hubcaps to go with your rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've owned the same setup from new. I switch to 215/70R16 snows on steel rims every winter with no problems at all. The speedo error isn't too bad, but it is a major PITA to retrain the ECU for the TPMS sensors twice a year. The dealer will charge you for this, I'm lucky that a local tire dealer will do this for me for free. Don't forget to order a set of lugnuts and hubcaps to go with your rims.
thanks, wasn't even thinking about lugnuts

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
15" Subaru wheels won't fit.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It takes me 5 seconds to switch the TMPS programming between summer (all-season) and winter tires. I use ATEQ QuickSet TPMS: https://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4

One button to push for summer, one for winter. USB interface to initially set the IDs for each TPMS sensor through a Windows application.

I bought mine years ago - there may be cheaper solutions out there by now. There certainly are fancier tools.

If you don't have the IDs for each TPMS sensor you either need to have a shop read those for you (8 in total) or buy a tool capable of reading them. Some tools both read and can help with re-programming but those are pricey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts