Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this subforum in particular is not a high-traffic area, but I do see people "viewing" this subforum regularly. My questions to you (assuming you, or anybody, is reading this) are: do you like cars other than Subaru? would you discuss other makes and types of cars? What type of car stuff WOULD you like to discuss?

I enjoy my Subaru Outback, it's great. But I also like other types of cars and you people can be a great source of knowledge and opinions. I tried posting some *interesting articles in this forum and haven't gotten much response..

According to Dictionary.com, a forum is defined as an assembly, meeting place, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest. Let's get some dialogue going!

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
I sure do, I like all sorts of cars. In fact I own another completely different car, a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. I have a thread for that car here, but it is in the off-topic section:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/23-village/45071-my-pontiac-grand-prixs-project-thread.html

But I see what you mean. Sometimes It seems like this forum hates any car that isn't a Subaru. Funnily enough, my Outback's thread on www.w-body.com (which refers to the GM W platform) has way more replies and views than my Grand Prix's thread here. Overall the GM guys seem more welcoming of foreign car owners than vice-versa.

Just an observation.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I hang out on the Forester forum. I'm occasionally on TCCoA | TCCoA since I had a 1997 Thunderbird until a drunk driver demolished it.

Spent some time on the Crown Vic and Jeep Cherokee sites when I was vehicle shopping.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there is life in this forum!

I have no problem with people being biased towards Subaru or whatever car(s) they own. I hope they take pride in it since they are the ones driving it; I wouldn't purposely put myself behind the wheel of a vehicle that I didn't enjoy.

But based on my previous experience on car forums, I find it strange that people view the other car threads in this subforum and don't comment. Are there no opinions out there? I'd be happier to see someone post "this car sucks, Subaru's are better!" in every one of these threads than nothing at all! At least then a conversation could start..

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'm a "petrosexual." There are few things automotive that don't interest me. I'm practical with my personal conveyance but when it comes to admiring the automobile I'm excited form mild to wild.

Some people think it's weird that I love old Datsuns and have never owned one.

·
Registered
02 Impreza Outback...stock for now
1 Posts
I like cars.....my other car is a '56 Fairlane, it runs drives and does burnouts, but it's not as nice as my Outback

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for your responses - but I'm confused as to why this thread, which is really about nothing, has more conversation than the other threads I posted that are actually about cars?

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
i wonder if people on any section of this forum like cars
HAHA! This forum is unlike any other Subaru forum and any other car forum that I know of; in that having the audacity to want to change the perfection of a 25k car is beyond comprehension and must be met with endless ridicule and questioning of your sanity.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
87 Posts
I'll see your car chat and raise you a boat conversation:p...mine comes with an engine too.

Love cars and boats too!

My 1st car was a Candy Apple Red, 87 Camaro RS...Jersey to Cali twice and points in between:crazyp:

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Guys, thanks for your responses - but I'm confused as to why this thread, which is really about nothing, has more conversation than the other threads I posted that are actually about cars?
Sometimes people prefer nothing. Jerry Seinfeld wrung a whole TV career out of it, we should have no trouble taking this out to 3+ pages.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha fair enough, I guess..

I would prefer to have a conversation about cars, as opposed to a conversation about having a conversation about cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've owned Subaru cars for thirty years, but owned other cars as well. I had a 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, and then a 2001 BMW 330Ci. Both cars were exciting to drive. However, I can't get away from what I've always liked about the Subaru's. Their reliability, ease of maintenance, go anywhere in anything, and longevity.

I was about to buy a 2011 BMW 328i coupe, when I test drove my 2011 Legacy GT. That was all I needed and I bought the GT. What a car!

Too bad they quit making it.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
To be perfectly honest I'm simply not interested in any of the topics posted.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ Hence this thread and my questions: what type of non-Subaru car stuff would interest people in this subforum? The dozen threads I've started so far focus mostly on higher end, exotic or new cars/technology, because usually that's what sparks the most conversation. I didn't think a 1995 Honda Civic thread would yield anything interesting.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
If it's conversation you're looking for, why not actually post your own comments/opinions rather than just posting pics, quotes and links? Threads tend to die if there's not actually any starting point for conversation.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^Noted, will do from now on.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Car controls...

The 1916 Cadillac Type 53 was the first car with the controls arranged the way we now take for granted: clutch brake gas (left to right) handbrake and shifter in the middle, key start.

Other car controls have evolved over the years. Some for the better and others not so much.

I'm curious about your memories, associations and wishes for car controls.

For example- to this day I get caught off guard by modern high beam headlight controls. I learned to drive in a few cars with different controls. The old domestics used the toe switch. My old VWs had a latching relay on the turn signal stalk.

At some point in the 1990s I experienced a Toyota with the modern high beam switch setup and wondered why I had to keep holding the lever up to get high beams. Now it seems like everything on the road is what I call 'Toyota style' with the headlights on a twist switch and high beams (momentary) via pulling the turn signal, or permanently by pushing the stalk forward. It works reasonably well, but it still seems 'wrong' to me.

Subaru has its own oddities with the Virgin Switch and now the electric parking brake. Even the widow washer.

Reverse gear lockouts in classic Saabs? Old fords with the horn on the turn signal stalk? Push button hydramatics anyone?

BMW seem to have earned a legion of haters with their iDrive system.

Ford's sync impressed me with the voice command system but the touchscreen requirement splashed cold water all over my enthusiasm for the gear.

What are some of yours?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts