Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i SAP/white, 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the last minute I added the puddle lights to our ordered Outback. So glad I did. In combination with the SAP it's very cool. They come on when you unlock as expected but also as you approach the car. Most higher end luxury cars don't even do that. I know this has been mentioned before but though it was worth mentioning again. If you are already getting the SAP I would recommend adding it as it's relatively inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB Limited 6L
8 Posts
I wasn't going to order these either, so glad they are on my car as well!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Subaru has had puddle lights on all their cars since the early days. It is a clear light that is mounted on the inside door panel when you open the door it lights the ground. They started putting the additional lights under the floor board with the GEN 4 in 2010. More or less to say they had them compared to other auto makers. I've seen a few 2010's with broken lights given they are exposed to the road and its actually not a cheap option to have added.

Try opening the door and see what the light on the door does for you. Subaru was one of the first Japanese auto makers to incorporate this design into their doors many years ago.

·
Registered
'13 OBW SAP 3.6R
416 Posts
What is even better is they light up when you with fob in pocket get close to the vehicle. First time I walked past it at night I thought I had left a door ajar or something when I noticed the lights were on both interior and puddle. So glad I got the SAP package...oh and an Outback.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback Limited 3.6R Pearl White, Moonroof, Protection Package, Side Molding, Puddle Lights, interior lighting package and STI RASB
68 Posts
We like that they light up the ground under and around the car before you open the door so you have visability in dark areas, dark garage, etc. I do use an old wash mit to keep them clean. My wife likes to be able to see if any puddles or small lakes have formed by the doors on rainy days, etc. We are glad we added the extra lights inside and outside. We have had a few compliments on them as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
We like that they light up the ground under and around the car before you open the door so you have visability in dark areas, dark garage, etc. ........
+1. We get a lot of positive comments on them.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
But you do have to open the doors to use the interior puddle lights. What is nice is having them on when you walk up to the OBW. Sometimes it rains between the time you left and the time you get back to the OBW. That's when it is especially nice.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
We like that they light up the ground under and around the car before you open the door so you have visability in dark areas, dark garage, etc. I do use an old wash mit to keep them clean. My wife likes to be able to see if any puddles or small lakes have formed by the doors on rainy days, etc. We are glad we added the extra lights inside and outside. We have had a few compliments on them as well.
I call mine "snake lights" down here in Florida!:D

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Subaru has had puddle lights on all their cars since the early days. It is a clear light that is mounted on the inside door panel when you open the door it lights the ground. They started putting the additional lights under the floor board with the GEN 4 in 2010. More or less to say they had them compared to other auto makers. I've seen a few 2010's with broken lights given they are exposed to the road and its actually not a cheap option to have added.

Try opening the door and see what the light on the door does for you. Subaru was one of the first Japanese auto makers to incorporate this design into their doors many years ago.
I was aware of that and looked at the actual puddle lights on one car in dealer stock. I don't abuse my car but it's off pavement a lot and drives around a ski area (the trails and runs) to carry tools. I figured it was something that could get damaged.

The funny thing was my wife's reaction to them about the same time I was deciding a lot of the car bling remind me of the sort of wife I'm glad I don't have!

My kids and a sibling felt differently about the bling options.

:)

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i SAP/white, 2013 BMW 335i xDrive sedan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was aware of that and looked at the actual puddle lights on one car in dealer stock. I don't abuse my car but it's off pavement a lot and drives around a ski area (the trails and runs) to carry tools. I figured it was something that could get damaged.

The funny thing was my wife's reaction to them about the same time I was deciding a lot of the car bling remind me of the sort of wife I'm glad I don't have!

My kids and a sibling felt differently about the bling options.

:)
My wife could care less about it too. It's only me, the car and tech geek in the family that gets excited about it. I don't think of it as "bling" which to me means just for show. I think it's just cool tech and adds some safety at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts