Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago we traded in my wife's Chevy Colorado for a Honda Ridgleine. She said if Subaru made a truck, she would buy it...but they don't.

A few observations.

Weird Key fob quirks:
Subaru Outback -- Your rear hatch opens all the time if you keep the fob in your pocket.
Honda -- All the windows and the sunroof open if you leave the fob in your pocket. (Google it. I am serious)
Winner -- Subaru. In a rain storm I will take rear gate open over sun-roof open any time.

Adaptive Cruise Control.
Winner Subaru -- Slows down all the way to a stop, and is smoother accelerating and decelerating. I never thought the Subaru was all that smooth until I drove the Honda.

Lane Keep Assist.
Winner Honda -- Much less overcorrection while still being more assertive to keep you in your lane.

Eyesight vs. Sensing
Winner Subaru -- Honda does even more annoying beeping and flashing when it isn't needed than Subaru does.

Smooth and Quiet Ride.
Winner Honda -- Another one where I thought my Outback was good until I drove the Honda

Auto High Beams.
Winner Honda -- It was hard to get used to because Auto High Beams work in the low beam position and you pull back to turn auto on and off. Completely backwards from Subaru. However, you can leave headlights in "Auto" and turn off auto high beams in the Honda. That is nice.

All Wheel Drive. I haven't really tested it, but my money is on Subaru.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,473 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
551 Posts
Honda wasn't smooth at all for me too. Its V6 turns off its cylinders as it pleases. Some people don't mind it, some hate it. Search for "VCM" and "problems".

·
Registered
2017 Outback Touring Pearl White
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so when are you going to trade a brand new honda ridgeline for a 2006 subaru Baja?

or would you like to get a newer outback and cut the rear of the roof out of it.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/62-car-lounge/143129-home-made-baja-s-brats.html
If they made a Baja that looked like a regular truck, they would probably sell. The Ridgleine is a unibody, independent suspension Front Wheel/All Wheel Drive Car that looks like a truck. The only difference being that it actually looks like a truck and has a beefed up suspension to haul and (almost tow) like a truck.

I know that from a practical standpoint that is irrelevant, but from a marketing standpoint, that is huge.

Honda wasn't smooth at all for me too. Its V6 turns off its cylinders as it pleases. Some people don't mind it, some hate it. Search for "VCM" and "problems"
I was talking more about the ride quality which is very good. It is a 6-speed automatic and it does turn off cylinders. Both are noticeable, but in my opinion not overly annoying. In fairness, I am also comparing it to my 2.5i. The 3.6 would be a much more fair comparison, and probably a closer contest.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring in Wilderness Green
53 Posts
I drove a 2011 Ridgeline for a few years. It was an absolute beast in the snow. I remember being parked on the street outside my home after the plows went by after a snowfall of about a foot of wet snow that fell overnight. My neighbors were digging out their cars. I went out, got in, put it into 1st gear via the selector, turned on VTM-4 Lock (Honda X-mode), gave it a little gas, and it just blazed through the 2-foot-high snow banks piled up around us.

There was something oddly satisfying driving something that big with a unibody frame. The 3.5L V6 had plenty of power and the steering was actually pretty tight and responsive. A/C in the summer turned it into an ice box. There weren't that many more creature comforts though; I bought it used as the '98 4Runner I had before it had rust issues on the right rear subframe and was just getting worse. So I bought this thing on a recommendation from a family friend, as I just needed a 2nd car for bad weather and hauling stuff, as I had just bought my first home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts