Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my OB to the dealer last Wednesday to have the starter replaced. While I was sitting in the waiting room the service manager came up to me and said that they noticed the front right CV boot was leaking grease and flinging it around under the car. I immediately thought about the 1" Subtle lift I installed just a month before. Luckily the dealer covered the repair under warrenty without issue :29:

So fast forward to today, I just got it back after they had to wait for the new starter to show up Monday morning. So after work I was poking around the engine bay to see what was replaced. The passanger side inner CV boot is where the leak was. It looks like they replaced the inner CV boot and cleaned up the surrounding area. However, when I go over to the driver side, just under the new starter that was installed, I'm noticing grease coming from the inner cv boot towards the bottom as well. I'm thinking about calling the dealership back to see if that one needs to be replaced as well :28:

So...I'm wondering if these "leaks" are a direct cause of the 1" lift. :confused: I mean, my OB only has 47k on it, so it seem too early for issues like this. Not to mention, both CV boots seemed fine just a month ago and to have one, maybe two, fail so close together seems fishy...

Now, I did a ton of research before adding the spacers to the Kings and KYBs I had already installed. I know this is a very popular combination and the amount of lift gained seems well within the "save" amount. I mean, the angle for the axles doesn't seem that bad at all just by looking at it. I'm hoping that it's just a case of these boots being bad to begin with and that now one is fixed, that should be the end of it.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
If you are just talking boots...It is coincidence. The increased angle with the 1" added is negligible. Mid-to-high speed vibration will be a sign of the actual joint being stressed out of spec. and headed for failure.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Boot failures are common on ALL subarus.

The inner boot tears in the middle and fling grease. Usually passenger first, drivers a few 10k later. They often leak grease at the shaft. This is not a big deal, but if you feel it necessary, a new clamp can be added to stop the leak. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a 2" lift on my 2017 and am having constant CV axle issues. One shop that works on a lot of Subies recommended that I get CV Axle spacers to help with the angle. I am researching to find the right spacers. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5
48 Posts
So I took my OB to the dealer last Wednesday to have the starter replaced. While I was sitting in the waiting room the service manager came up to me and said that they noticed the front right CV boot was leaking grease and flinging it around under the car. I immediately thought about the 1" Subtle lift I installed just a month before. Luckily the dealer covered the repair under warrenty without issue :29:

So fast forward to today, I just got it back after they had to wait for the new starter to show up Monday morning. So after work I was poking around the engine bay to see what was replaced. The passanger side inner CV boot is where the leak was. It looks like they replaced the inner CV boot and cleaned up the surrounding area. However, when I go over to the driver side, just under the new starter that was installed, I'm noticing grease coming from the inner cv boot towards the bottom as well. I'm thinking about calling the dealership back to see if that one needs to be replaced as well :28:

So...I'm wondering if these "leaks" are a direct cause of the 1" lift. :confused: I mean, my OB only has 47k on it, so it seem too early for issues like this. Not to mention, both CV boots seemed fine just a month ago and to have one, maybe two, fail so close together seems fishy...

Now, I did a ton of research before adding the spacers to the Kings and KYBs I had already installed. I know this is a very popular combination and the amount of lift gained seems well within the "save" amount. I mean, the angle for the axles doesn't seem that bad at all just by looking at it. I'm hoping that it's just a case of these boots being bad to begin with and that now one is fixed, that should be the end of it.
I talked with the folks who do installs for RalliTEK up in Portland the other day and they said something I found fascinating and hilarious at same time. The people who put in lifts of pretty much any size and then go off-roading often, in situations that articulate the suspension -- not just gravel road driving -- are the ones who see immediate issues with axles, etc. Those who put lifts on but either don't go off-road, or stick primarily to gravel roads, don't have trouble. So, I guess my question is: are you getting wild out there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm coming over from the Forester SG world - 2" ADF lift kit run hard for many years. Observation: When you install a lift, the CV angle changes. This isn't necessarily an issue, but you must look at the boots and see if the ribs are rubbing with eachother on the concave end of the bend - this is IMO why the boots die faster when you fart with the angle. You need to re-seat the boot, and in many cases I ended up pulling the boot over the ringed bump on the axle and re-clamping to solve this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts