Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2020 Outback Limited and currently have just over 5,000 miles on it. I am curious to see if anyone else has encountered the same issues. I'm very much regretting the purchase at this point.

1. Car shutoff at red light and had to be restarted. I was behind a van with flashing lights for several minutes at night and the Outback suddenly stalled, lights flashed, and an error message popped up. It took a few minutes to get the car to settle and start again. The car has never done this again, but this one time was very concerning.

2. The paint on the shifter has already started to peel off. Dealership is replacing.

3. Bluetooth. This is one of my biggest issues. I have a OnePlus with android and was able to use Bluetooth for calls for the first month. My phone no longer works with the car. The dealership has tried 2 times to fix it and Subaru of America has no answers other than a "we are sorry." Has anyone else experienced a failure of the Bluetooth audio system with an android phone?

4. Door Lock. I was unable to get one of the rear doors to unlock to get my child out of the car. It would no unlock via the key fob nor the unlock buttons from the front. We ended up having to reach around to get it unlocked. It was very strange. The lock was unresponsive to anything we tried other than a manual unlock. Going to bring this up with the dealership next.

It just seems these are strange problems to have with a new car.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I've been following almost everything happening to the 2020 outbacks in this forum since I bought mine.

1. Unexpected engine stalling is not a problem I have seen posted here before. It's unclear if the stop/start system stopped the engine but failed to restart, or if the engine stopped for a different reason. Definitely something to report to the dealer, document the event, including their response to your concern, let them know that you think it's a potential safety hazard if the car stalls unexpectedly and won't restart. Document Document Document - whether it's e-mails, phone conversations, or in-person. Document that the odometer reading was when the stall happened, the date and time, location, whether it was raining, hot and humid, altitude, or the car had just gotten off 20 miles of uphill freeway driving. Was the air conditioner on or off, anything that you can, to nail the details down. The more detail you include, the more hints the dealer has to figure out what if anything is the cause of the problem. The more vague your complaint is, and lacking in detail, the less credibility it has and the less the dealer has to work with in determining the cause and/or attempting to replicate the problem. Our cars also have oil temperature displays, so noting the oil temp might be helpful.

In the 1990's I had a Subaru that was stalling on me and I had it declared a lemon after the dealer was unable to resolve this safety issue after three attempts at fixing it. Lemon laws vary from state to state so it may not be applicable to you. In my case the stalls were happening after a hot restart - drive 5 miles, stop the car, start it again within 5 minutes, and then it will stall about 30 seconds later. This pattern did not happen every time, but it happened often enough that it was not unexpected.

2. The paint on the shifter is thin and one person who wore rings seemed to cause the paint to scratch off. Not sure if you have jewelry on that hand, but that could be the cause. In another Subaru that I had, my wrist watch was scratching the inside of the door handle and I didn't even notice it until it was too late.

3. Bluetooth with Android - get the infotainment updated to software version 504 at the dealership. This is a common problem.

4. Door lock - have never heard of this problem before in a 2020 Ouback, although when I took the door panels off on my own car, I didn't put the lock cables back perfectly and I did have a problem that I solved by removing the door panel and re-installing the cables correctly. The dealer should be able to fix this, whether it's an electronic or mechanical problem. Double check the child lock toggle on the back doors and see if you can replicate.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
202 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Outback Limited in January 2020. I now have 7500 miles on it and have experienced none of the problems you describe. My only complaints with my vehicle center on the Driver Recognition and the large Infotainment Screen.

Driver Recognition is too glitchy. Doesn't recognize me half the time even though I've tried the suggestions presented by others in this forum. And the "Keep Eyes on the Road" warning appears too many times for apparently no reason.

The Infotainment software needs updating. My screen often restarts after the engine has run a minute or so. This seems to be more frequent after the engine has been shut down for many hours or longer than a day. I haven't done the latest (504) update yet which might correct some of this problem.

Other than those issues I'm pretty happy with the vehicle. Lots of nice features and I'm getting mpg in the 28-32 mpg range.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,182 Posts
1 and 4 sound like some electrical gremlin. Perhaps have the dealership scan all vehicle systems to see if there are any faults or anything else being tripped up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been following almost everything happening to the 2020 outbacks in this forum since I bought mine.

1. Unexpected engine stalling is not a problem I have seen posted here before. It's unclear if the stop/start system stopped the engine but failed to restart, or if the engine stopped for a different reason. Definitely something to report to the dealer, document the event, including their response to your concern, let them know that you think it's a potential safety hazard if the car stalls unexpectedly and won't restart. Document Document Document - whether it's e-mails, phone conversations, or in-person. Document that the odometer reading was when the stall happened, the date and time, location, whether it was raining, hot and humid, altitude, or the car had just gotten off 20 miles of uphill freeway driving. Was the air conditioner on or off, anything that you can, to nail the details down. The more detail you include, the more hints the dealer has to figure out what if anything is the cause of the problem. The more vague your complaint is, and lacking in detail, the less credibility it has and the less the dealer has to work with in determining the cause and/or attempting to replicate the problem. Our cars also have oil temperature displays, so noting the oil temp might be helpful.

In the 1990's I had a Subaru that was stalling on me and I had it declared a lemon after the dealer was unable to resolve this safety issue after three attempts at fixing it. Lemon laws vary from state to state so it may not be applicable to you. In my case the stalls were happening after a hot restart - drive 5 miles, stop the car, start it again within 5 minutes, and then it will stall about 30 seconds later. This pattern did not happen every time, but it happened often enough that it was not unexpected.

2. The paint on the shifter is thin and one person who wore rings seemed to cause the paint to scratch off. Not sure if you have jewelry on that hand, but that could be the cause. In another Subaru that I had, my wrist watch was scratching the inside of the door handle and I didn't even notice it until it was too late.

3. Bluetooth with Android - get the infotainment updated to software version 504 at the dealership. This is a common problem.

4. Door lock - have never heard of this problem before in a 2020 Ouback, although when I took the door panels off on my own car, I didn't put the lock cables back perfectly and I did have a problem that I solved by removing the door panel and re-installing the cables correctly. The dealer should be able to fix this, whether it's an electronic or mechanical problemlu

4. Door lock - have never heard of this problem before in a 2020 Ouback, although when I took the door panels off on my own car, I didn't put the lock cables back perfectly and I did have a problem that I solved by removing the door panel and re-installing the cables correctly. The dealer should be able to fix this, whether it's an electronic or mechanical problem. Double check the child lock toggle on the back doors and see if you can replicate.
#3 Bluetooth. Got our 2020 outback llimited XL and my android phone will connect, but the the phone book fails to transfer. Dealer says to go to subaru.com go to "for owners" and select bluetooth compatibility and first of all, latest devices are not even on the list to choose. All devices I try says N/T(not tested) so can't even determine with my device if my bluetooth on the OB will function! The page to check bluetooth was really wonky too. We had a 2014 OB and bluetooth and phonebook worked, so seems this is going backwards!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts