Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... the Seattle area, that is, compared to north-central Alabama.

Took a flight to the Pacific Northwest with my parents to see a wedding of one of my nieces. Drove over to my parents house and left my Outback Sport in their garage and went in their Jeep Cherokee to the airport.

Subaru's all over the place, outnumbering those seen around home by probably 40 to 1. Saw one of the dealerships near South Center shopping mall. I had expected a difference in Subaru ownership numbers but it was a vast change from the scant few I manage to notice every once in a while here in Alabama.

Well, got back home tonight so the show is over, but it was interesting to see I have a car that alot of other people drive.

Like I said, I knew it was a likely sight (I lived there for 15 years but was 25 years ago) but I just didn't have my personal eyewitness account before, that people drove them in large numbers. Admittedly, Seattle-Tacoma roads are so populated with traffic-jamming vehicles that they tend to get lost in the crowd but they also wouldn't stop appearing during drives around the place. New ones, old ones, Outbacks, Foresters, etc.

I might have seen someone from here at subaruoutback.org, too, although from what I know now I can tell that they all couldn't be registered here or else there'd be no one from other States or other parts of the world (to explain the member count). ;)

Best of all were the older ones, something I'm not even sure I've seen at all yet here. Odd thing is, I think I only noticed one WRX but then I wasn't looking for those.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
That's what it was like driving through the mountains in western Maryland - lots of Subarus, every model. And old ones, too, so you know it has been a trend for many years.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Subaru is unofficially the "state car" of Vermont - top selling passenger car make. (although I guess the 05 OB is technically now a "truck"... might muddy that)

They're EVERYWHERE here. Not uncommon to be in a random line of 3 or 4 of them in traffic. I work at a company of 70 people, and there are currently 8 Subarus in the parking lot on a regular basis. I see a car that looks exactly like mine at least once a week.

It's always interesting to visit MI and especially the Detroit area, it's not as bad as when I lived there 10 years ago, but I probably drove 500 miles on MI highways last month and saw maybe a dozen Subies the whole trip.

For the first time in decades, I find myself actually secretly hoping a little of this snow that's been blowing around the last couple days would accumulate - this is my first AWD car and I can't wait to see how it does! :)

-Peter

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
bheinz57 said:
Same with Colorado--many, many Subaru's out there. Here in Nebraska the #'s are growing, though. Brian
So very true. When I lived in the mountains west of Colorado Springs, it seemed every other car was a Subaru.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
colorider said:

So very true. When I lived in the mountains west of Colorado Springs, it seemed every other car was a Subaru.

:)
I drove up to Boulder, Co couple of weekends ago to the Boulders farmers market and i was amazed at all the Subaru's there...Also notice there alot of 05's on the streets..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PTinVT said:
--->8 I see a car that looks exactly like mine at least once a week. 8<---
Got to see my twin in Auburn WA briefly as it went off in another direction, was next to me a moment, so at least I got a look at it being driven by someone else, so now I have an idea of what it looks like on the roads here at home. Spectacular! :D Well, okay, maybe beauty in the eye of the beholder. Heh. I didn't even see who or what was driving as I concentrated on the car itself.

Yeah, where is that snow...? :p Um, probably one or two months away yet, if at all. I'll make a wish for getting a few inches of the stuff during Christmas again, which it never has done as long as I've lived here (18 years).

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again...I think you'd be hard pressed to find an area with more Scooby's on the road than the Rochester, NY/Monroe County region, especially the wealthier east/southeast sides. As Kitty Van Bortel says "We are the number one selling Subaru dealer in the nation." And I highly doubt S.O.A. would let her say that if it wasn't true...

One of these weeks I'm going to count every one that I see each day and try to get a nice average for you. It's got to be close to 50-60 each time I leave the house and drive for at least 15 minutes. I'd say the average is probably between 3 and 5 a minute, with spots as high as 15-20 and spots with 0.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think you'd be hard pressed to find an area with more Scooby's on the road than the Rochester
Amen brother! Lots a Legacy Outback Wagons, but a fair number of the rest as well. I've seen several '05's as well....lots are the Champagne color...whatever that's called.

The way I used to drive to work, I would see our Outback's twin, except no spoiler or bug guard, every morning going the other way.

Seattle's a nice area. We spent over a week there a few years ago. Went to Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helen's, San Juans, and Whitbay, and then spent a couple days in Seattle itself. Amazingly, it only rained the day we were leaving.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Subarus of all ages here in Maine. In fact, there is an independent used car dealer that sells nothing but Subarus here in the Portland area. They even have a sign that says Subaru factory trained technicians. Kind of nice to have that option for service as opposed to the traditional new car Subaru dealer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waynerd said:
--->8 spent a couple days in Seattle itself. Amazingly, it only rained the day we were leaving.
Yep, it can be fantastic sometimes.

I loved the proximity to both mountains and water. Just that there can be so much fog and drizzle and long dreary wet gray winters that I wouldn't want to live there again. I stored up plenty of good memories inbetween all that though. Just wish people would use at least a little A/C indoors, during those short hot summers. Luckily, our family would occasionally go up into the mountains to get into the melting snow so it made summer more interesting.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
In my neighborhood, I count 12 Subarus (that's probably a 25% share). We're in snow country at the NY/Mass line. Let me see: 3 Foresters, 6 Outbacks (2 '05s, mine included), 1 Outback Sport, 2 Legacy Wagons. I used to see a Legacy Sedan, but that disappeared a couple months ago, and one guy last month traded in his old Outback Wagon for a Honda Element.

My son goes to The University of Rochester, and you guys are right--there are a ton of Soobys in and around the city. The weather and Van Bortel's add up to a winning combination.

By the way, Greenman and Waynerd, I'll be up there this Thanksgiving, so if you see an '05 Atlantic Blue OB-XT with NY plates "GO SAWX" on I-390, W. Henrietta, or in the MacGregor's parking lot, that's me!

By the way, I've discovered that there are some great bars in Rochester, too.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Jeez - O - Pete, what drugs were they on when they decided to sell the Element?

Sometimes it seems to me that the SUV manufacturers were not satisfied with the ugly boxiness of mere trucks, and sought the most grotesque look they could possibly get. Some of those things look like giant ugly sports shoes instead of vehicles.

I am so happy to drive a vehicle that can carry its spare tire inside the body, instead of having it hang on the outside like the battery on the back of a wristwatch.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
actually, it's kinda grown on me. good thing, since that's one of the other non-OB options in the girlfriend-transporting-aged-parents-car realm.

but i agree with you on the need to uglify in shoes, cars, boomboxes, ???? Hummer Syndrome??

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The_Lizard said:
I am so happy to drive a vehicle that can carry its spare tire inside the body, instead of having it hang on the outside like the battery on the back of a wristwatch.
I have a solar-powered watch. :p Well, it still has a battery in there someplace-- and has proven I should wear it out in the open daylight more often! (I hate wearing a watch).

Yeah, spare stuck on the back was a major factor in not checking into the Suzuki Vitara or Honda CRV any more than I did.

I'm still amazed at those spares which were put under the hood of some older Subaru's. I didn't know about that until I saw a photo someplace recently. Wacky place to put a tire! ;) But at least out of sight.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
We refer to his silver Element (affectionately) as "the rolling toaster." It's not a bad vehicle, and this guy has three dogs, so I can undertand his decision to some degree.

I drove it once. The visibility is not good, particularly when the back seats are up. And it drives like a Honda, which for some is and for some is not so good.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Yes, the older Subarus had the tire under the hood - same thing with my dad's 1969 Renault 16. Full-sized tire, too, not a doughnut.

I once changed the tire on a minivan, major pain to winch it down from underneath and winch the flat back up. I was glad to do that in the parking space here at the apartment, instead of on some dark rainy roadside.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
'05 Count:
4 days ago: I saw 4 total, 3 within less than a mile in my hometown. 1 Garnett Red OB SEDAN (!), 1 Silver/Gray 2.5i, and 1 Champagne XT. On the highway later that day I saw a White/Gray 2.5i.

3 days ago: I saw 3 total. A Champagne 3.0/LL Bean (not sure), a Blue/Gray XT, and a White/Gray 2.5i.

2 days ago: I saw 2 total. A Champagne XT and a Black XT.

1 day ago: I saw 2 total. White/Gray XT and a Black XT.

The only one that I think was the same car was the Black XT, so I've seen 10 *different* '05s in just 4 days of normal driving. This is an excellent sign, they are catching on quick.

I wish I could view them through the eyes of someone who wasn't a Suby fanatic. Are they as visually appealing to non fans as they are to all of us? Because whenever I see one I can't help but think how much more beautiful they are than all the other crap driving around them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Subaru density (or market saturation, as I guess it's called) is odd and not entirely predictable, at least in Canada. I spent several weeks in Winnipeg recently, in the geographic centre of Canada; it has a metropolitan population around 700,000... Long, really cold winters, and short hot summers (when everyone who can drives to their lake cottage on weekends and vacations). Given the climate and population, you'd expect to see lots and lots of Subes, but nope. I was amazed how few there were. I stopped in to the only Subaru dealership late on a Friday afternoon, too. Not a single customer to be seen on the lot or in the showroom (it was a relatively mild day, at that.) Hardly any staff activity; very few new cars on the lot....
Maybe there's some sort of critical mass that has to develop in a market area? I saw zillions of SUV's, lot of them costing more than a Sube, so it wasn't just a question of disposable income.
Contrast that with areas of Vancouver and the lower mainland, where you can't drive more than a couple of minutes without seeing one (or five, or ten.)
Driving the back roads in canyon country in the US (Arizona and esp. Utah) every autumn through the '90s, it also seemed like every car sporting Colorado plates was a Subaru. Seriously!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Actually, you'll find that Manitoba and Saskatchewan have comparatively few imported cars. People there are very conservative and still like their American cars. They don't trust those Japanese and European P.O.S. :D

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
24 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing