Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pricing announced today on Ascent. Very aggressive?

Pricing announced today on the Ascent. Seems very aggressive? If I was Ford/Honda/Toyota I would be shaking in my boots.

For example, the MSRP of an Outback Limited 3.6 (after adding the EyeSight package) is actually more than the Ascent Limited. Linked PDF's from the media site.

Mmm, ventilated seats would be wonderful, but for me personally, I'm not sure that would tip me over the pricing point between the 38k for the Limited to 44k for the Touring. Heck, even the 34k for the Premium looks like a steal.

Take my money already!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
here, gas has been going up steadily 5 cents plus each week or more.
Just filled up with 87 no ethanol at 2.99. 87 with ethanol was 2.59

Gas is going to be $4.00 soon, so they need to move them when gas goes up, nobody buys large, they buy small and high mpg.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The touring would be a no brainer for me the window shades option should be on the Limited , as should the camera system.

The big as in huge reason I won’t buy a Touring even though everything I want is on it. No frigin 2nd row bench seat! Seriously WTF!! Like this is such a big deal for me I think I’ll just hang onto the Outback another few yrs. No Really!!

My Sequoia and my Subaru OB would have been replaced in a micro second by a 8 pass Touring trim Ascent. 7 seat only? I can buy a 2yr old Highlander like my brother just did if I wanted 7 seat capacity.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Ascent is only rated for about the same MPG as the OB 3.6 despite the smaller engine. I don't see its curb weight listed in the specs, but Motor Trend had it at a portly 4300 lbs.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
For example, the MSRP of an Outback Limited 3.6 (after adding the EyeSight package) is actually more than the Ascent Limited. Linked PDF's from the media site.
Looks like they're letting you choose between seat count and feature content with that price overlap between the two cars.

I think they're off to a good start with this [strike]minivan[/strike] SUV.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The Ascent is only rated for about the same MPG as the OB 3.6 despite the smaller engine. I don't see its curb weight listed in the specs, but Motor Trend had it at a portly 4300 lbs.
Load numbers and chassis for 3rd row makes it a very different beast than the OB. Its numbers are similar to my 2005 Sequoia which isn’t dramatically larger foot print wise than my Outback but the Sequoia has a far far far heavier load rating and far lower average mpg than the OB.

So I would say no its nothing like the OB and yes 20+mpg averages would be pretty nice. The Sequoia does 15mpg around town my brothers new Highlander does 18mpg around town. The Sequoia does 16’s highway trips at 70+mph my brothers Highlander gets 20-22mpg highway trips. If the Larger Ascent does 18-20mpg in town and 25ish highway Subaru is is ok for a 8 pass, 3 row 5000lb rated rig.

·
Super Moderator
25,273 Posts
It's about $3,000 less than what we were expecting. I've already ordered one, I have one appointment tomorrow to order one, and two on Saturday.

First delivery to dealerships in late June or so.
quoting you on the Ascent pricing thread, in the Ascent section.

I wonder if any dealers are getting a single early example to enable test drives for people that want to order.

here is a couple pics of one testing on the highways of colorado 2 weeks ago, (getting dusty,.. @traildogck might guess at the locations)

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-ascent-seen-wild-doing-high-altitude-testing

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
They need the Automotive press reviews out before June!!! Like the real ones where the guys get the car for a week and can load it up and do a trip with it and then write up their take on it.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
If I was Ford/Honda/Toyota I would be shaking in my boots.
Why? Ford sold 271,000 Explorers last year, Toyota sold 216,000 Highlanders and Honda sold 127,000 Pilots. Those 3 alone almost total ALL of Subaru's 2017 sales of 643,000 units.

Back in November Subaru said they would be pleased if they only sold 50,000 Ascents. They also recognized the Ascent would steal Forester and OB sales.

I doubt any auto makers are shaking in their boots over the Ascent pricing.

I do find the huge gap between the limited and the touring rather puzzling.

·
Premium Member
15,928 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah @subiesailor I personally am having a hard time dealing with the Touring. The ventilated seats are something I’ve been waiting Subaru to introduce literally for years.

I also don’t know if I want that big of a car. I was pretty much hellbent on a 3.6 going forward one way or the other but I’m thrown by this. Premium plus HK upgrade would be killer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The three top must have items in my next family hauler. Ventilated seats ! In rear view mirror rear camera view. The reduced seating flexibility of the Captains chair layout is pretty much a deal breaker. If I wanted a mini van Id go buy one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. I agree. Not sure why they would reduce features on Touring. That’s kind of like what they do on outback with the exterior and interior color choices. The bench seat is more useful than they realize, I think. At least the option for it!

I don’t mind in rear view camera. I have that now on my 2011 and for the most part I tunnel vision on the camera part. So I’d rather have a bigger clearer display.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
here, gas has been going up steadily 5 cents plus each week or more.
Just filled up with 87 no ethanol at 2.99. 87 with ethanol was 2.59

Gas is going to be $4.00 soon, so they need to move them when gas goes up, nobody buys large, they buy small and high mpg.
Been going down NW of Chicago, https://goo.gl/SwEWYq

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey who cares. At least it’s 87 and not 93. That’s a game changer for Subaru.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yeah. I agree. Not sure why they would reduce features on Touring. That’s kind of like what they do on outback with the exterior and interior color choices. The bench seat is more useful than they realize, I think. At least the option for it!

I don’t mind in rear view camera. I have that now on my 2011 and for the most part I tunnel vision on the camera part. So I’d rather have a bigger clearer display.
The rear view camera is not center stack, it’s embedded in the rear view mirror you know where it should be ;-)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hey who cares. At least it’s 87 and not 93. That’s a game changer for Subaru.
Hopefully the engine is like Cadillac's 2.0T and can take advantage of 93 octane if the owner opts for better fuel.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@z28dug

Yeah that would be really cool if it would advance the timing automatically. Wonder if we can find out specs on that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts