Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many miles y'all have on your 3rd gen OB's?? Considering the new Subaru's are lame and despite issues I freaking love this car, I'm scheming how I can make this thing last to 300k miles :grin2:

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited
108 Posts
I'm sitting at about 151,600 miles right now. Runs amazing! I definitely hope to take it to 300K!

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
268k and counting.

I'll admit, it's not the original engine, but the trans, diff, rack (and rear suspension) are original; the rear suspension is the PO's doing.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,727 Posts
I'm just a youngster here at 124k miles.

Part of getting to 300k involves something you can't control entirely - which is to avoid accidents. And if it is involved in an accident, avoid having it totaled by an insurance company just because a repair is not economical on paper to them.

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
I have a few in the family :D

My 2005 - 210k
Wife's 2006 - 225k
Sister's 2006 - 250k
My 2003 5spd - sold @ 308k (on rebuilt engine)
Wife's 2001 - sold @ 230k (original engine)
And finally... our rally bugeye has around 215k on it.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
It's in another hi-miles thread, but one member has a 2007-ish 3.0 well past 400k at last report.

I might see 200k on my XT before year's end.

·
Registered
2007 2.5 base 5MT
140 Posts
only a measly 126k but just passed the 12th winter together, which is how I measure time in the north woods. Aiming for 15 years/150k miles from the car as do not drive a tons of miles so should be doable-- bar another unwanted high cost repair.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's in another hi-miles thread, but one member has a 2007-ish 3.0 well past 400k at last report.

I might see 200k on my XT before year's end.
I get a feeling that those 3.0's are probably the most robust build. Sort of wish I had gotten one instead of my 2.5.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I get a feeling that those 3.0's are probably the most robust build. Sort of wish I had gotten one instead of my 2.5.
Oh, it's unequivocal. Those really are the enduro champs, at least until the head gaskets go. They don't pop as often as on the 2.5i, but then once they do, few have a clue how to do it right because it's so rare.

For my money, the real reason to get one is the 5-speed auto. Head and shoulders more enjoyable to drive than the 4-speed.

·
Registered
2013 Impreza Sport, 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0 FWD, 2009 Outback XT Limited 5MT - R.I.P.
377 Posts
I'm at 141,000 on my '09. Although engine number three only has about 12k on it now. I'm hoping for continued long days and pleasant nights with this car.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,727 Posts
Here's my truth-tell about the matter: Everyone needs a plan "B". For many, that's a trade for a new Outback, or a trade-up to a newer used one. Me, I'll keep my 2.5i for as long as it's practical, but should anything happen to it, I'll be only looking to replace it only with a good-condition Gen 3 replacement. I have absolutely zero interest in anything Subaru has since built in the Legacy / Outback platform.

And at the moment, I even have a particular one in mind: A 2006 LL Bean 3.0R with 170k on it, owned by an acquaintance who is the second owner, has it well documented, and accumulates miles on it at a pretty low rate. She occasionally has approached me for recommendations on service and the question of "how much should this work cost?". And our last two discussions have started to sound enough like "I don't want to put that kind of upkeep into a 12 year old car" (it was about rear suspension work, IIRC) that I made this request of her: That car will be mine someday, so continue taking good care of it. I might be coming to you at any point should I need a replacement, and you'll likely find my "make me sell" offer very agreeable. But if in the meantime you want to sell that car at any time, find your best price for it on the open market, come to me with it, and I'll likely top it.

So on paper, this might look like a trade-down, at least when you consider age and miles - this Outback is two years older and 50k more miles than mine. But that's my attitude about this engine and drive train, they are really that durable, I've come to find out.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Not that many yet - 112K miles on a true 06 JDM face-lift 3.0R SI Drive.
Average private vehicle miles per year in NZ about 10K miles

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
'08 L L Bean 3.0. 160k original owner and runs like a champ. Added bonus no rust living in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
906 Posts
2002 Outback,second engine, another recent head gasket job, 293,213, still runs great!

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R H6 VDC
278 Posts
'05 3.0 VDC - 212K, and running like a champ. If I weren't 6'5", I wouldn't hesitate to take her anywhere. Valve cover gaskets were done 3 years ago, and timing cover gaskets will need to be done soon. The 5EAT is by far the most durable automatic transmission that Subaru ever made. Its my first Subaru, best car I've ever owned, and when I die, I'll be buried in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Auto
418 Posts
Well, I'm only at 124k, and I probably need HGs to get to 200k. But I'm not planning on buying another gas powered car*, so I'll be running this until it falls apart or used EVs become a sensible option.

*unless it's an MGB. And even then I might do an electric conversion.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
8 Posts
144K on my 2008 Outback 2.5i. I bought it with 105K about 3 years ago.

The headgaskets are weeping oil (which stinks the car up) but my mechanic has advised me to live with it because the cost to repair would not be worth it. Along with the headgasket, the suspension feels pretty tired, but otherwise it's in reasonable good shape. Barring any transmission or other expensive issues I don't see why I won't be able to get another 3 years and 40K miles out of it.

I get rid of most of my cars at about 180K miles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts