Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Anyone have CarPlay issues, it'll randomly drop the CarPlay connection and go back to the normal home screen, then it'll come back after ~20-30 seconds...this is with a new Apple lightning cable, and a 12 Pro, running iOS 14.6
I'm not sure if this is a response to the issues I have experienced or whether you are responding to another comment. But to be clear, what I was experiencing is not what you are describing. My screen stopped functioning, then turned black and then, after a period of between several minutes and 15 minutes, the system tried to reboot, sometimes multiple times in succession. And when it did reboot I would get messages that Eyesight, Driver Monitoring and/or RAB were disabled. On one trip, Eyesight was disabled for many hours after the system rebooted.

So, in my case, this went well beyond CarPlay dropping (which has also happened, incidentally).

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
462 Posts
Sad thread here. I've had ACP in a 2016 VW Golf & 2019 Kia Niro and never had an issue. Unfortunately I've become both enamored & dependent on it.
One of the main reasons I'm thinking about upgrading my excellent, low mileage Gen 5 OB to a Gen 6 is for the ACP. Threads like this are making me leery of the Gen 6 OB. As a result I continue to consider a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento as my next car.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Good info. My head unit does the same, but it’s random and difficult to pin down. I also experience random CarPlay disconnects and reconnects. It’s an ugly stain on an otherwise excellent vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I finally heard back from SoA and they are going to replace the CCU. They also apologized for the many trips in for service and are giving me a complimentary 10 year/100,000 mile Subaru Added Security Gold Plus $0 deductible extended warranty.

Needless to say, this is very welcome news and I will be absolutely thrilled if this resolves my issues with the head unit!
Glad to hear it! Mine went to the dealer today as well— same thing. CCU is being replaced. I wonder if they read this thread!

·
Registered
2020 XT Limited
66 Posts
sorry if a dumb Q, but what is the CCU? My dealer replaced my entire radio unit and it didn't help a thing.

·
Registered
2021 White Outback Touring
1,057 Posts
Are all of these "re-boots"/ disconnects only on the 2020's? I have not seen many , if any? 2021 owners complaining about this issue. Second ? -is this issue happening only after the car has been running for a longer period of time?
Asking these questions as I would like to know what to watch for, or rather what to have wife watch for as she drives our Subaru 95% of the time. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
sorry if a dumb Q, but what is the CCU? My dealer replaced my entire radio unit and it didn't help a thing.
CCU = Cockpit Control Unit. It's the main brain module of the infotainment and control system, and the other part is the display unit (the actual touch screen) so what we think of as the entire radio unit consists of both a CCU and the Display, which are two different part numbers.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Are all of these "re-boots"/ disconnects only on the 2020's? I have not seen many , if any? 2021 owners complaining about this issue. Second ? -is this issue happening only after the car has been running for a longer period of time?
Asking these questions as I would like to know what to watch for, or rather what to have wife watch for as she drives our Subaru 95% of the time. Thanks
2021 models are experiencing problems as well, and while there are certain patterns for some people, overall it's not confined to "only" long trips.

While it's happened for some people mainly when they use Sirius XM, others who do not use Sirius XM also have reboots.

While it's happened for some mainly when a phone is connected via USB, others who do not have a phone connected have had reboots.

She will know for sure if the infotainment reboots and the only advice I would have is to stay calm, don't let it distract you, and realize that automation functions may not work so pay attention to driving. If there's a passenger have the passenger make a video of the event.

Report the event to the dealer to begin documentation of the problem, noting the conditions - was a phone plugged in? Was Sirius XM on? Was it a long trip? Was Adaptive Cruise on? Essentially the more detail that can be reported the better Subaru can understand if there is any pattern at all to this (software?), or if it's simply that there's a high defect rate in the hardware.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
63 Posts
Sad thread here. I've had ACP in a 2016 VW Golf & 2019 Kia Niro and never had an issue. Unfortunately I've become both enamored & dependent on it.
One of the main reasons I'm thinking about upgrading my excellent, low mileage Gen 5 OB to a Gen 6 is for the ACP. Threads like this are making me leery of the Gen 6 OB. As a result I continue to consider a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento as my next car.
The head unit issues cropped up on the 2018's when carplay was first introduced, I haven't seen any issues posted lately so it seems like they have issues when they are new and the bugs get worked out with software updates. It's certainly frustrating, I just recently picked up a 2018 with the updated HU and it's been pretty much flawless, although I did have a weird music issue happen earlier today on the way back from the tire shop, just had to disconnect and reconnect my phone and all was well. I have also seen the touch screen element issues on the 15-17's as well with the lines appearing very visibly, not sure what's causing that, I think that SOA needs to really look at the HU's and get us a good long term reliable solution, the VW's are pretty good, although not perfect. I suspect some issues may be related to software updates that happen quite frequently. Who knows

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
48 Posts
CCU = Cockpit Control Unit. It's the main brain module of the infotainment and control system, and the other part is the display unit (the actual touch screen) so what we think of as the entire radio unit consists of both a CCU and the Display, which are two different part numbers.
Think of it as the car's radio/navigation/system information computer, and the part you see and touch to input commands as your monitor (touch screen).

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
134 Posts
So we’re starting to get into some real speculation territory here but, Honda and other manufacturers had a problem on some early mode cars with similar reboots. They traced the fault to a problem with the code and a memory overflow. Essentially, they updated the software such that it did a soft reset at night, clearing everything out.

For those having chronic issues with this, I’m curious, if you reset the system (either pulling the battery or a more traditional reset) does this prevent the issues from occurring?

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,571 Posts
2021 models are experiencing problems as well, and while there are certain patterns for some people, overall it's not confined to "only" long trips.
It happened to me three or four times to me and it wasn't on long trips. And I did a lot of 12+ hour drives. For me it was a combination of plugging in my phone either just before or right after the car has started. In my case, it almost feels like the system is overwhelmed by whatever it needs to do when it starts up and at the same time, serving Android Auto.

So far with the wireless android auto dongle, it seems to have actually improved the head unit reliability. For some reason, the time it takes for AA to come up used to vary a lot with a cable. But with the dongle, it is a consistant experience and the head unit seems to like it too.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Oops wrong thread

Reactions: ALSG

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
@camhabib was just thinking it smelled like a memory leak (5-6 hour drives some have cited) or critical fault threshold and the reboot was (an attempt at) self healing behavior. Anyone who has seen a bad app on their phone or even theirsmart TV force a device reboot would be familiar with it (HBO Max almost always causes my Roku TV to reboot itself, sometimes just starting up, sometimes in the middle of a show, or if I try and browse too fast)

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i Ltd replaced 2010 OB; 20 mm WRX rear sway bar & Michelin LXT Premier tires; replaced 2010 2.5 OB Ltd. City car is 2019 Kia Niro PHEV EX Prem
462 Posts
The head unit issues cropped up on the 2018's when carplay was first introduced, I haven't seen any issues posted lately so it seems like they have issues when they are new and the bugs get worked out with software updates. It's certainly frustrating, I just recently picked up a 2018 with the updated HU and it's been pretty much flawless, although I did have a weird music issue happen earlier today on the way back from the tire shop, just had to disconnect and reconnect my phone and all was well. I have also seen the touch screen element issues on the 15-17's as well with the lines appearing very visibly, not sure what's causing that, I think that SOA needs to really look at the HU's and get us a good long term reliable solution, the VW's are pretty good, although not perfect. I suspect some issues may be related to software updates that happen quite frequently. Who knows
I actually have considered getting the HU from a 2018-19 OB with ACP for my 2015 OB. I've gotten the impression it is a pretty simple plug & play sort of swap. Anyone tried that?

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,571 Posts
I actually have considered getting the HU from a 2018-19 OB with ACP for my 2015 OB. I've gotten the impression it is a pretty simple plug & play sort of swap. Anyone tried that?
If you are goint to the trouble of replacing the HU, I would suggest a third party HU that has wireless CP or AA. Might as well, right?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6r with CVT
63 Posts
That would be cool, not sure if it's been done or how involved it may be other than a simple plug and play. I suspect they may have changed the 18/19 HU just enough to prevent that, or it would be more cost effective to do an aftermarket unit, you might be the first if you decide to try it out.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
368 Posts
If you are goint to the trouble of replacing the HU, I would suggest a third party HU that has wireless CP or AA. Might as well, right?
Due to the tight integration with EyeSight and even mundane functions like the heated seats, how would using a third party platform be possible? Agreed that the wireless CP and AA would be great, even in my vehicle it is annoying without, but I do not see how the essence of this thread be corrected without a retrofitted factory solution

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
11 Posts
Mine is a 2021 but Apple car play works fine for me, and the entire screen fills up nicely especially using waze

61 - 80 of 133 Posts