Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
21 owner, same issues. Have had this happen 5-6 times in the 7 months I've owned it. Does seem worse on 'longer' drives.

I've also experienced dozens of apple car play reboot issues; nearly any drive over an hour and it just fully disconnects ACP and sometimes I have to unplug, plug in, and it'll still take a # of minutes for it to work again. Had ACP on my prior 2015 GTI and 6 years of use it never acted up; quite frustrating on something so integral to the driver interface

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limted - 2.5 4 cyl - Nav - Sunroof-StarLink Enabled -I ce Blue Metalic
28 Posts
All
I have an 2020 Limited - has the 380 software update via the recall.
I'm usually by myself, so not able to record/document crashes.
I have about 8k miles currently. About 6100 miles, I started to have reboots about every 200 miles or so.
I usually have the map screen (until last Saturday had the Nov 20 map update) being displayed. I usually am using the Radio on XM or FM radio for music/news. I very rarely have my Android phone connected, if I do it is just charging as I will turn off all the Android Auto functions prior to starting to drive. I have the Navigation window on most of the time to see the traffic and also to reduce screen burning a constant image.
When I have a reboot the music/noise will stop, I will then look to see, and note a black screen, then followed by a reboot sequence. Usually, the system will restart and return to the operational status prior to crash/reboot. When I have been actually using the Navigation with a route, the route returns and picks back up. Sometimes the safety systems seem to fail as well, but once the system reboots all is well.
The other day my radio upon starting the car choose a random FM radio station, that I do not have saved as a favorite and have not selected to listen to previously.
The reboots are occurring more frequently, I did make a trip to my local Subaru dealer service dept. and was told by my assigned service advisor, "...there is another customer having similar problems and SoA is aware." This service advisor told me,"... that SoA is working on a fix to be released in June/July and to check back in a few weeks."
I had not previously posted the information about the "fix" out of respect, that I may have been told privileged information, but since it has been posted, I can confirm this information.
I love my car, but it is very frustrating for the reboot problem.
I bought this car used, missing the factory manuals, I finally got some factory manuals it took every bit of 2 months as they were missing, so I have had a learning curve, but I have found this car, fairly intuitive and gaps filled in here by the various members.
I hope SoA, can figure these problems out soon. My computer experience tells me they should at least release a debugging patch that is easily installed via the wifi update program in the car, and make it very small to facilitate this install.
Too bad SoA does not monitor the public unofficial forums, they could learn quickly problems the customers are reporting and solving. From my experience Dodge (here in the US) monitors message bases and even has accounts to interact with owners on the message bases, and does so frequently.
On the converse side, it is possible that SoA does monitor forums, and just "listens" and will not admit to the practice.
Seems to be, an easy way to collect marketing data, and a way to be proactive in problem management.

I hope, as others have noted, that a solution is found soon, as my car is going to age out vs. mileage on the warranty then I guess we, the unlucky few are just plain stuck.

Silver-Blue

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
This service advisor told me,"... that SoA is working on a fix to be released in June/July and to check back in a few weeks."
I had not previously posted the information about the "fix" out of respect, that I may have been told privileged information, but since it has been posted, I can confirm this information.
Could this be why Subaru is holding off hardware Cockpit Control Unit (CCU) changes?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT Crystal Black Silica
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Anything is possible, but SoA is replacing my CCU and several others report theirs are getting replaced too (on this or other threads) so that would seem to suggest a software fix for the problem isn't imminent.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
368 Posts
@ALSG - Check out this thread. It appears that some of these issues are hardware related. If it is a storage / flash issue, no amount of software patches will address. The person below reported the "flash module" was replaced.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
@ALSG - Check out this thread. It appears that some of these issues are hardware related. If it is a storage / flash issue, no amount of software patches will address. The person below reported the flash module was replaced.

Do we think the "flash module" is separate from, and can be replaced independently of, the CCU?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
I'm skeptical about the flash module - maybe they meant they used a different flash drive to install the software? The problem with communication is that people use the wrong words all the time. A part number is good - a description is often misleading.

A flash drive could be described as a flash unit, flash module.

They could even be referring to the CCU (Cockpit Control Unit) as a memory module or whatever. It comes down to part numbers. Later in the post it's described as a memory unit.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm skeptical about the flash module - maybe they meant they used a different flash drive to install the software? The problem with communication is that people use the wrong words all the time. A part number is good - a description is often misleading.

A flash drive could be described as a flash unit, flash module.
That was exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring
107 Posts
My personal experience today !!
Was going to the dealer to get my unit replaced again !!
Surprise when they opened the box, it was the wrong part :rolleyes:
Denso screwed up !!
But my mechanic told me that he saw recent 2021s being delivered in the past few weeks with a new firmware and by the time they receive my unit, I should get that one !! I don't remember the number :unsure:
FYI I have the recent 380 firmware, 2020 Outback Touring 45,000 miles.

Luc
Canada

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve been having the head unit on my 21 freeze and reboot or refuse to connect a few times a week for months now. I’m getting really sick of it. Probably will start bugging SOA this week. It spent a lot of time with my dealer already with no resolution.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
A new firmware is always appreciated, if they are delivering new units with it and there are no structural/harware changes associated with it, then the rest of us should be seeing it shortly (guy with 2021 wants new firmware just because, and slightly less off center lane centering). Also, want firmware that changes temp offset... and ASS... and... and... and...

oh.. oops. Sorry. Just love new features for no reason.

I think it is 380 for the 2020 and 980 for the 2021 currently from this past new Year.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I'm still waiting for the new CCU to be installed -- my car has been at the dealer since May 21 (so 19 days and counting and 5 days since they said 5-7 days for the part to arrive) and for the extended warranty paperwork to arrive.

Meanwhile, this arrived from Subaru today. They clearly are making an effort o keep this customer happy.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
Dang... the only gift I got from them for my windshield was the windshield... oh well... I'll take it (and I bet they know it).

Reactions: ALSG

·
Registered
19 Posts
All
I have an 2020 Limited - has the 380 software update via the recall.
I'm usually by myself, so not able to record/document crashes.
I have about 8k miles currently. About 6100 miles, I started to have reboots about every 200 miles or so.
I usually have the map screen (until last Saturday had the Nov 20 map update) being displayed. I usually am using the Radio on XM or FM radio for music/news. I very rarely have my Android phone connected, if I do it is just charging as I will turn off all the Android Auto functions prior to starting to drive. I have the Navigation window on most of the time to see the traffic and also to reduce screen burning a constant image.
When I have a reboot the music/noise will stop, I will then look to see, and note a black screen, then followed by a reboot sequence. Usually, the system will restart and return to the operational status prior to crash/reboot. When I have been actually using the Navigation with a route, the route returns and picks back up. Sometimes the safety systems seem to fail as well, but once the system reboots all is well.
The other day my radio upon starting the car choose a random FM radio station, that I do not have saved as a favorite and have not selected to listen to previously.
The reboots are occurring more frequently, I did make a trip to my local Subaru dealer service dept. and was told by my assigned service advisor, "...there is another customer having similar problems and SoA is aware." This service advisor told me,"... that SoA is working on a fix to be released in June/July and to check back in a few weeks."
I love my car, but it is very frustrating for the reboot problem.
I bought this car used, missing the factory manuals, I finally got some factory manuals it took every bit of 2 months as they were missing, so I have had a learning curve, but I have found this car, fairly intuitive and gaps filled in here by the various members.
I hope SoA, can figure these problems out soon. My computer experience tells me they should at least release a debugging patch that is easily installed via the wifi update program in the car, and make it very small to facilitate this install.
Too bad SoA does not monitor the public unofficial forums, they could learn quickly problems the customers are reporting and solving. From my experience Dodge (here in the US) monitors message bases and even has accounts to interact with owners on the message bases, and does so frequently.
On the converse side, it is possible that SoA does monitor forums, and just "listens" and will not admit to the practice.
Seems to be, an easy way to collect marketing data, and a way to be proactive in problem management.

I hope, as others have noted, that a solution is found soon, as my car is going to age out vs. mileage on the warranty then I guess we, the unlucky few are just plain stuck.

Silver-Blue
Dear Silver Blue

I have a 2021 OB with 9600 miles and got my car back today from the 9th time in for "Infotainment and radio issues. I was told the fix of replacing the radio (2x) CCU (2x) and the DCDC would cure my issues. I was forced to pick up the car at 10am today. It had been at the dealer since 5-21-21. They badgered me into turning in my loaner. I left the dealer and about 3 hours later, the system crashed again. I have been speaking with SoA and the dealer about a buy back of the car. I do enjoy the car as the other two Subaru's we have had. I have had 3 calls with SoA today alone and have been told they should have a resolve for me early next week. Keep at them and don't take the answers they offer of "it's rare and isolated". That's BS!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still waiting for the new CCU to be installed -- my car has been at the dealer since May 21 (so 19 days and counting and 5 days since they said 5-7 days for the part to arrive) and for the extended warranty paperwork to arrive.

Meanwhile, this arrived from Subaru today. They clearly are making an effort o keep this customer happy. View attachment 513638
View attachment 513639
That sucks... Sorry for the pun, but you have to laugh at times. I got mine back with a new CCU and DCDC converter today after 17 days in the shop this time. The car started it's old tricks within 4 hour's of getting it back today. SoA will not start a third Service order on the car. They want the weekend to decide if they are going to take the car back.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
That sucks... Sorry for the pun, but you have to laugh at times. I got mine back with a new CCU and DCDC converter today after 17 days in the shop this time. The car started it's old tricks within 4 hour's of getting it back today. SoA will not start a third Service order on the car. They want the weekend to decide if they are going to take the car back.
lol. Very sorry to hear that a new CCU and DCDC converter didn't help in your case. Keeping my fingers crossed but I would not be at all surprised to end up in the same place as you. But even if I end up in a buy back, at least I'd have the vacuum to remember my Subaru by. :cry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
lol. Very sorry to hear that a new CCU and DCDC converter didn't help in your case. Keeping my fingers crossed but I would not be at all surprised to end up in the same place as you. But even if I end up in a buy back, at least I'd have the vacuum to remember my Subaru by. :cry:
HAHA. Good luck. I will keep you posted. P.S. My attorney served them with a Lemon Law Letter on Monday. That got me a couple calls real quick. They want to avoid dealing with that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
HAHA. Good luck. I will keep you posted. P.S. My attorney served them with a Lemon Law Letter on Monday. That got me a couple calls real quick. They want to avoid dealing with that.
Yeah. I wrote my own Lemon Law letter back on May 21 (I am a lawyer but SoA doesn't know that). That was what prompted SoA to offer to replace the CCU and give me the 10 year/100,000 mile Gold Plus zero deductible warranty. And the vacuum. :LOL: They obviously want to avoid buying these things back but I think they will have to buy them back in droves if they can't get the head unit issue resolved.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
I almost feel guilty that my infotainment unit has been fine aside from the lost eq settings when it first came out. It also seems that early on, people who had their CCU replaced had their problems resolved but now it seems like a CCU replacement isn't fixing anything.

Another person mentioned that replacement CCU's are now refurb units, which makes me wonder if they're replacing defective with reman defective.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts