Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time member, sometimes lurker...

I wanted to share with the community what an exceptional experience I had with SOA yesterday. A week ago I got the dreaded Vehicle Dynamics error with codes P0700 and P2763 at 131,000 miles on my '13 2.5 Outback. I've done many repairs myself and saw the DIY guides here on the forum, but didn't want to get into this one - off to the dealer. They call and say, "it needs a new valve body, it's $1800." The price breakdown was roughly $1100 in parts and 5 hours labor. Needing a car for work, I authorize the repair.

But, knowing that the valve body is $800 retail and around $700 on several parts sites, and that there were known issues with these valve bodies, I start to have my regerts. So I call up SOA and they're super friendly. Since I had already authorized a repair she said she'd escalate it right away and prioritize it. The escalated CSR called the dealer and spoke with the service manager. He calls me and lets me know the angle he informed the dealer about - that certain states have emissions laws where they may be able to process it as a warranty repair through emissions.

I got a call later that afternoon that my car was ready and it would be $1955, so I ask, "I have an open issue with SOA and they spoke with your service manager, what's the status of that?" She calls me back saying, "yes, it's covered under warranty."

8+ years old, 131k miles...SOA covered my $1900 repair!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
526 Posts
That is AWESOME! I've had the torque converter replaced on our 2011 OB under warranty and am wondering how long it will last (and if it fails again, will it be covered under warranty)? I've read about the valve body failures - - glad that SOA is stepping up to the plate and knocking it out of the park!

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic, 2002 H6 Outback wagon VDC + 2001 2.5 VDC
336 Posts
Would be lucky to get that on a 3 year old car this side of the pond...
basically, “your car, your problem”......

·
Registered
24 Posts
First off, congrats, that's awesome and you certainly saved yourself a lot of money here.

However in my opinion this is definitely NOT the normal outcome most people get with this issue. This is actually pretty rare from what I've seen. So much so that I didn't even bother with SOA or the dealer when mine went, although I was closer to the 170k mark and had no kind of conceivable "warranty".

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
35 Posts
I have had a positive experience with SOA too. I purchased a 2005 Outback XT with a manual transmission. This configuration is known to have a problem with the cooling fan sensor which can damage the computer and result in the cooling fan constantly running. Subaru issued a recall on it which one of the previous owners had completed.

Fast forward to mileage in the 120K range and my acquisition of the vehicle. I noticed the cooling fans constantly running and my Subaru mechanic alerted me to the recall. Researching the issue I found the recall had already been performed. However I reasoned it either wasn't done properly or the recall was ineffective.

I decided I needed to get it fixed even if I had to pay myself. I called SOA and they ultimately agreed to cover 50% of the cost despite their records showing the work had previously been completed.

IMO the goodwill SOA showed me really helped solidify Subaru as a business I was happy to do business with and I've shared this story on multiple occasions when someone has asked how I like Subaru's.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Limited
36 Posts
I'm actually going through this same issue! After spending $1300 to replace the CVT valve body on my 2014 2.5 (with less than 95K), I contacted SoA, and they are currently cutting me a check to cover what I put out. I have heard mixed reports from various customers about dealing with SoA, but nothing ventured, nothing gain.

I'll follow up when I actually have the check in my hand, but they were very clear that my model and year were part of an extended warranty valid until 01 Jan 2024, or 100K, whichever comes first. I didn't know anything about the extended warranty, and the dealership (while I think good-intentioned) didn't have any problems taking my money without mention of possible warranty coverage. I guess I'm glad it happened when it did...

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is awesome that they took care of you. My 2014 is at 109k miles and Im awaiting this problem. I used to be a dealer service writer ,but I have no idea what emission warranty would extend past 100k miles or cover a transmission problem. Any details to clarify that so I can work that angle if need be?

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Limited
36 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this thread and let everyone know that Subaru was good to their word, and I got my full refund yesterday. The issue, and the GM of dealership explained, was that when a car comes in for service and they enter the VIN, if there is a warranty or recall, an alert is triggered and the dealership treats it as such. In my case, because it was an extended warranty not originally attached to the VIN, no alert was triggered.

In any event, my recommendation would be to always contact SoA in the event of a major/ costly repair. I only contacted them because a while ago, I read somewhere on this forum that a member contacted them after shelling out $1,500 for a repair. He didn't get a full refund, but they gave him back $750. Even if that was going to be the case for me, 50% is definitely worth a a two-minute online submission to SoA.

And they couldn't have been more agreeable! There was no arguing, no hassle; nothing but apologies and "we'll take care of you."

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
35 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this thread and let everyone know that Subaru was good to their word, and I got my full refund yesterday. The issue, and the GM of dealership explained, was that when a car comes in for service and they enter the VIN, if there is a warranty or recall, an alert is triggered and the dealership treats it as such. In my case, because it was an extended warranty not originally attached to the VIN, no alert was triggered.

In any event, my recommendation would be to always contact SoA in the event of a major/ costly repair. I only contacted them because a while ago, I read somewhere on this forum that a member contacted them after shelling out $1,500 for a repair. He didn't get a full refund, but they gave him back $750. Even if that was going to be the case for me, 50% is definitely worth a a two-minute online submission to SoA.

And they couldn't have been more agreeable! There was no arguing, no hassle; nothing but apologies and "we'll take care of you."
That might have been me as that's exactly the situation I was referring to in post #8.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,301 Posts
8+ years old, 131k miles...SOA covered my $1900 repair!!!!!
Not to rain on the parade, but SOA did this because it's the law, not because they are sympathetic to your situation. Maybe the latter is also true, but their primary driver is the former.

I have no idea what emission warranty would extend past 100k miles
Well, here's Oregon's, for example - up to 15 years and 150k miles:

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,165 Posts
Not to rain on the parade, but SOA did this because it's the law, not because they are sympathetic to your situation. Maybe the latter is also true, but their primary driver is the former.

The valve body is part of the emissions system?

·
Registered
187 Posts

Wow, had no idea of those extensions. I will look at my warranty book to see what is still covered. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts