Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KYB has told me that SOA has NOT released shock spec's to them for MY13. this is why they still haven't tooled up for MY13 replacement shocks.

please email SOA and voice your concerns and requesting they release the shock specs so we'll have aftermarket shocks readily available when we need them.

https://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/contact-us.html

thanks

duckboy

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
AFAIK the KYB replacements are not much different than stock as far as valving. At least for 2012 that was the case.

IMHO KYB is of inferior quality as OEM, so I'd just buy direct replacements from Subaru as they are similar. They are not very costly from Subaru as far as prices go. When I looked into it the fronts were around $130 each and the rears around $105 each for 2013 part numbers.

I've had a couple sets of KYBs over the years, both of which I did not have a good quality experience with.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nickshu,

the MY10-MY12 have the same shocks & springs. MY13 has increased spring & damping rates.

the stk shocks are actually made by KYB. take a look at the imprint on the lower part of the shock body.

my preference would be to have replacement shocks w/ about 20% more compression & rebound damping.

thanks

AFAIK the KYB replacements are not much different than stock as far as valving. At least for 2012 that was the case.

IMHO KYB is of inferior quality as OEM, so I'd just buy direct replacements from Subaru as they are similar. They are not very costly from Subaru as far as prices go. When I looked into it the fronts were around $130 each and the rears around $105 each for 2013 part numbers.

I've had a couple sets of KYBs over the years, both of which I did not have a good quality experience with.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
nickshu,

the MY10-MY12 have the same shocks & springs. MY13 has increased spring & damping rates.

the stk shocks are actually made by KYB. take a look at the imprint on the lower part of the shock body.

my preference would be to have replacement shocks w/ about 20% more compression & rebound damping.

thanks

I know but they are made by KYB to Subaru's specs vs. the models they sell aftermarket.

There is a member here who contacted KYB and was told by KYB that their aftermarket shocks/struts for the OB 2010-2012 are only slightly stiffer than stock, not sure if it's 20% but my guess is less.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Based on my experience with replacing the rear shocks on my 2011 2.5i with King springs, the KYB Excel G (aftermarket) offer a higher level of damping than the OEM 2011 rear shocks. Maybe it's 20%, maybe it's 10%, maybe it's 40%, but the exact amount doesn't really matter to me. My car would load up the springs after coming off a bump, and rebound hard enough to lift the rear wheels on occasion with the OEM, and it does not rebound as hard with the KYB. I feel no appreciable difference for compression damping.

From a purely subjective viewpoint, the aftermarket version I have now is better then the OEM that was on it. It was worth the small amount to replace them. On stock springs, I would have likely as not just left it alone.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
If KYB is making the stock shock then they must have the specs :confused:

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nickshu,

I believe the member ur talking about was me. I contacted kyb several mths ago and continue to pester them for support. U are absolutely correct that SOA has kyb build their stk units to their own specs.

Being that the stk '13 shocks have firmer damping than the '10-'12 stk units, so I personally have been hesitant to purchase '12 kyb units.

One question I have is , I have noticed is my rear ride height was reduced. Iwonder if others have the same issue. So I'm wondering if the poor rear damping is an indication of the rear shocks losing their gas pressure charge? Food for thought.

I know but they are made by KYB to Subaru's specs vs. the models they sell aftermarket.

There is a member here who contacted KYB and was told by KYB that their aftermarket shocks/struts for the OB 2010-2012 are only slightly stiffer than stock, not sure if it's 20% but my guess is less.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
619 Posts
Your ride height is not dependent on the valving, or the shock. Springs will determine that. Put a small spacer in there on the strut tops and you can even it out. One company used to refer to them as "saggy butt spacers."

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Your ride height is not dependent on the valving, or the shock. Springs will determine that. Put a small spacer in there on the strut tops and you can even it out. One company used to refer to them as "saggy butt spacers."
+1. Shocks/struts do not support a car, the springs do. Shocks only dampen the effect of the springs.

If the rear is sagging a broken spring is the most likely culprit. But there would be other symptoms.

Worn shocks could cause squatting under acceleration though....

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry didn't mean to say a "worn" shock or.bad valving but more more appropriately just gas charge loss. The imprint on the shock.body does state the shock is gas charged. I remember a long time ago I installed gas charge tokicos and my cars ride height increased.

[QUOTE=reddoak;516867]Your ride height is not dependent on the valving, or the shock. Springs will determine that. Put a small spacer in there on the strut tops and you can even it out. One company used to refer to them as "saggy butt spacers."[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I remember a long time ago I installed gas charge tokicos and my cars ride height increased.
This would only occur (generally) under the condition of sagging/worn out springs. Or very soft springs against very stiff shocks.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nickshu,

when i put those tokico hp's on my civic, the car didn't have more than 5k mi's on it. the car was pure stock when i installed the tokico hp's w/ the stk springs.

didn't notice this behavior w/ bilstein hd's that i put on a later nissan pathfinder (hardbody gen). so maybe my theory is wrong. just thinking out loud.

just trying to find a reason as to why my OB's rear is now sitting lower and the rear shock valving is so poor.

This would only occur (generally) under the condition of sagging/worn out springs. Or very soft springs against very stiff shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts