Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a quote from Glendale Subaru (The largest Subaru dealer in the world) and they want $5000 over MSRP. I'm totally new to Subaru, is that how most dealers are? I'm in San Diego but willing to drive north if anyone has any suggestions.

This is my first post but I've learned so much lurking on this forum. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT
228 Posts
Got my XT at Irvine Subaru, they had one marked up 10k, the sales person bragged about how its a competition to see how much over MSRP they could get people to pay....I should have walked away from that mess to be honest but in the end they met my conditions of MSRP and T1 financing rate. Tried to say I had to buy a $2000 warranty or else I would only qualify for 4%....I think its because I am only 21 and well look like young child but these idiots quickly realized they need to meet my terms or I could go to any if the 5 other Subaru dealers in the greater LA South CA area. I knew before walking in my credit scores put me at T1 and they even showed me what they pulled, only to come back with that BS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got my XT at Irvine Subaru, they had one marked up 10k, the sales person bragged about how its a competition to see how much over MSRP they could get people to pay....I should have walked away from that mess to be honest but in the end they met my conditions of MSRP and T1 financing rate. Tried to say I had to buy a $2000 warranty or else I would only qualify for 4%....I think its because I am only 21 and well look like young child but these idiots quickly realized they need to meet my terms or I could go to any if the 5 other Subaru dealers in the greater LA South CA area. I knew before walking in my credit scores put me at T1 and they even showed me what they pulled, only to come back with that BS.

So sounds like MSRP and the 1.9% 48 month is the best I will do. I'm good with that if I can find a deal like yours. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,325 Posts
So sounds like MSRP and the 1.9% 48 month is the best I will do. I'm good with that if I can find a deal like yours. Thanks for the help.
Get on Cars.com and Autotrader.com and do a search of dealer inventory at 100-200 mi radius (or whatever distance your willing to travel one way to pick one up). Then set up your deal over the net before going to get it. You'll get better pricing and selection that way. (I did ). You can have the car serviced locally regardless of where you buy it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R & 2005 Impreza sport 2020 Honda Passport
55 Posts
I haven’t seen too many marked up on the east coast, at least in CT. it may be worth your while to fly somewhere and drive back home. Nice little road trip.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
586 Posts
This is a terrible time/market to buy a new vehicles...the supply is limited due to the global chip shortage and other parts and transportation challenges. If you don't need to buy now, don't. Some dealers (regardless of brand) are charging above MSRP for vehicles right now because they can...supply and demand economics. It's not a "Subaru" thing at all.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
274 Posts
This is a terrible time/market to buy a new vehicles...the supply is limited due to the global chip shortage and other parts and transportation challenges. If you don't need to buy now, don't. Some dealers (regardless of brand) are charging above MSRP for vehicles right now because they can...supply and demand economics. It's not a "Subaru" thing at all.
^This

I have seen local Ford dealers with Broncos listed for nearly double MSRP (just introduced and shortages on the model are extreme given the order backlog). Not saying they are getting it, but be happy if you find a more reasonable markup because less reasonable ones certainly exist. I have read good things on other forums in threads similar to this one about using a broker to buy. Never tried it (so not making a recommendation one way or the other), but I could see where having someone do the search work for you could both save money and make things way easier in the current market.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
274 Posts
Become a member of a Subaru VIP organization. I have read the fastest way to get access is to make a $500 ASPCA donation. You will want to confirm before trying it, but I have read this on several Subaru forums. Most VIP orgs have a waiting period before gaining VIP access. From what I have read (again you should confirm), ASPCA waves this period for a donation of $500 or more.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
30 Posts
A dealer here in the MId-Atlantic area has sold both Wilderness edition OB's they received within a week of their arrival.

Both sold for $5k over MSRP.

·
Premium Member
‘22 Geezer Blue Wilderness
116 Posts
Become a member of a Subaru VIP organization. I have read the fastest way to get access is to make a $500 ASPCA donation. You will want to confirm before trying it, but I have read this on several Subaru forums. Most VIP orgs have a waiting period before gaining VIP access. From what I have read (again you should confirm), ASPCA waves this period for a donation of $500 or more.
Yep. I donate anyways. Be sure you verify the dealer accepts the VIP form both before placing an order and before you negotiate price, because there will be no negotiation. Many dealers do not accept VIP.

The dealers that do the program reserves the right to deny VIP pricing... I think. But not on the basis of it being a special edition, because the Wilderness is not. I do not think Austin Subaru will do that deal again (I pre-ordered and built-to-order in April, though, I did not "walk in"). That’s a lot of money off a hot vehicle, and they’d rather make the sale go cold and find a full price buyer. Best way to do it is customer order and wait.

Spending $500 to save multiple thousands is proper. I wouldn’t have paid a dime over MSRP, and my savings paid for the TT&L, PPF, and Tint.

·
Registered
21’ OB Premium, Abyss Blue Pearl
8 Posts
Got mine last month (Maine). It was a premium marked up $3k over MSRP. Talked em down $4k and did not get the worthless warranty and still got 0.9% interest rate. Should note that it was a brand new 2021, not a 2022. I'm sure they would have been less flexible on those, but its essentially the same vehicle so I was content with "last years model" at a better price/rate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts