Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback XT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having issues with this software update which was supposed to be available yesterday? First, they claim it takes over an hour to install. Seriously? It's 2022 - not 1998. And that is if you can download it at all. 3 tries and failure to reach server. And yes, my wifi is crazy fast and I am connected.

So you're supposed to leave the car run for 75 minutes while this installs?

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
1,943 Posts
". . . So you're supposed to leave the car run for 75 minutes while this installs?"
It is a good idea to let it idle, yes.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
598 Posts
Does it allow you to download it to a usb drive and then plug the drive into the car without having the car connect to wifi?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
228 Posts
I have found that my maps will update while driving. Anyone know if it’s the same for starlink software? I do it while driving by using phone or the car’s hotspot.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
112 Posts
If you want to waste a ton of gas, sure. Alternatively, do the install when you know you have a longer drive. Not sure about this current update but when I've done them in the past, I install it on my drive to work which is normally about 45min. It's usually done by about 30min. And if it's just another maps update, it is not urgent, you can wait and do it when you have a longer trip. I think I've done like three of them now and I've never noticed any difference it how it functions or anything. It updates some streets and stuff, but likely nothing you will notice. The biggest problem, the basically useless voice recognition, never gets fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Anyone else having issues with this software update which was supposed to be available yesterday? First, they claim it takes over an hour to install. Seriously? It's 2022 - not 1998. And that is if you can download it at all. 3 tries and failure to reach server. And yes, my wifi is crazy fast and I am connected.

So is your system saying its unable to reach the server or just that there is no update available? Mine says no update available, but I had previously done the USB update for the April update, so that makes sense.

As far as time in concerned, that's not uncommon. My wifes 22 BMW generally takes 2 hours to update the software.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
3 Posts
If you want to waste a ton of gas, sure. Alternatively, do the install when you know you have a longer drive. Not sure about this current update but when I've done them in the past, I install it on my drive to work which is normally about 45min. It's usually done by about 30min. And if it's just another maps update, it is not urgent, you can wait and do it when you have a longer trip. I think I've done like three of them now and I've never noticed any difference it how it functions or anything. It updates some streets and stuff, but likely nothing you will notice. The biggest problem, the basically useless voice recognition, never gets fixed.
I'm assuming that this is similar to a phone update? Download the update and then go out for a drive while it updates? This is the first update I'll be doing solo so any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
I'm not sure if @Lunajett is describing how he did a USB update instead of an OTA update, or maybe he was using his phone as a hotspot for the WiFi connection to the car?

Reactions: Baggss

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
24 Posts

Is this a maps update or head unit software update

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
112 Posts
I'm not sure if @Lunajett is describing how he did a USB update instead of an OTA update, or maybe he was using his phone as a hotspot for the WiFi connection to the car?
Sorry, I was talking about the maps update that we download to our own USB and then install into the car. I assumed that was what the OP was about, but re-reading, now I'm not sure what update they're talking about. Is there some new OTA option for updates? As far as I know the maps are the only updates we can do ourselves. When my car is at the dealer for the regular maintenance, they usually have had some other software update they do, which they always tell me should fix the annoying little infotainment issues.... uhhh, sure. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,837 Posts
Sorry, I was talking about the maps update that we download to our own USB and then install into the car. I assumed that was what the OP was about, but re-reading, now I'm not sure what update they're talking about. Is there some new OTA option for updates? As far as I know the maps are the only updates we can do ourselves. When my car is at the dealer for the regular maintenance, they usually have had some other software update they do, which they always tell me should fix the annoying little infotainment issues.... uhhh, sure. :rolleyes:
If you refer to the software thread in the Gen 6 forum, some generous folks have purchased access to the Subaru tech info system in order to download the software update files and allow the rest of us to update our own using the dealer mode USB option. Technically, it's not an option for owners but it's not horribly difficult to do (there's just a risk to doing it).

Is there some new OTA option? It seems Subaru may have sorted out how to get the OTA option to work and they're now doing a test roll-out to some folks.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,727 Posts
@ncnuke can you verify that they were talking about towing vehicles that attempted the 8/4/22 OTA flash, or could it be that they were talking about the earlier failed 2021 OTA flash that resulted in a lot of bricked head units?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts