Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an email a few days ago that my current head unit Rel_A1.19.12.20 software in my ‘18 non-navigation Outback can be updated OTA to Rel_A2.20.07.20 or Rel_A2.20.18.20. After checking for updates I only get a message informing me of “software update failure, would you like to retry?” I hit okay to retry but nothing happens. I have already done a successful OTA update last year and I am within strong WiFi signal so why am I getting this message? I don’t see the files posted online in order to update via USB.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
Same as above, remove yourself from your network and then rejoin. Another possible action, your head unit may operate like my NAV unit and try press and hold your Tune knob to force a head unit reboot. Then start again.

When mine has done odd things, I do the reset

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium with EyeSight (Crimson Red Pearl / Black)
13 Posts
I have attempted the software update too, but it failed in the end and now the head unit is turned off and won't turn back on.
The new software was downloaded and during installation, the system rebooted, but right after that I got a message saying that "the update failed and the unit will now turn off".
Anybody encountered it? Is there any way to turn the unit back on to try again?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
34 Posts
I have attempted the software update too, but it failed in the end and now the head unit is turned off and won't turn back on.
The new software was downloaded and during installation, the system rebooted, but right after that I got a message saying that "the update failed and the unit will now turn off".

If this is the case, and the screen stays "black/off" you need to go to the dealership ASAP. The head unit may be toast..

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium
158 Posts
Glad I read this before doing it. Anyone had success? I would hate to brick my stereo.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R
34 Posts
Glad I read this before doing it. Anyone had success? I would hate to brick my stereo.

I have and it was very easy. I was even able to use my phones hot-spot to get it done. The wi-fi at my work (Subaru dealer) is crap. I do recommend staying in the car, if you miss a prompt bad things "can" happen..

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
369 Posts
That's exactly what mine did today. What a piece of junk!! It did not even give me the option of trying a second time - it just shut down completely and won't come back on. Let me know if you ever figure out a solution. My wife is not going to be happy about me even attempting an update on a unit that WAS working fine.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Don't perform any updates on this terrible Subaru head unit, if your is working presently. What a mess. Subaru ought to be ashamed. Back to Toyota or Honda or Kia or Hyundai, etc.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
Interesting. Updated my 2018 unit OTA in my garage off my WiFi (more than once).

Head unit replaced 1.5 yr ago under recall. A few updates since that time without issue. While there have been a small number of reported issues on this forum, I don't think the sample size-results warrant a complete failure of Subara/SOA in this area. Because the option exists to update without cracking the code/Passwords [user accessible], if it fails the issue can be resolved by dealer under warranty.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Interesting. Updated my 2018 unit OTA in my garage off my WiFi (more than once).

Head unit replaced 1.5 yr ago under recall. A few updates since that time without issue. While there have been a small number of reported issues on this forum, I don't think the sample size-results warrant a complete failure of Subara/SOA in this area. Because the option exists to update without cracking the code/Passwords [user accessible], if it fails the issue can be resolved by dealer under warranty.

I have also done several updates via wifi previously, but this one just seemed to mess up the entire head unit. I will let the dealer figure it out.

·
Registered
2018 Outack Limited, with Eyesight (Canadian model) Crystal white pearl, black leather interior
76 Posts
I have done several OTA and USB updates over past 9 months, all worked fine, though the full USB upgrade with NAV takes about 40-50mins and hangs for a long time on the maps bit. I needed a 32GB stick to hold the UK/EU latest May update. you can register (need your VIN) and d/l the software from here -- : Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
I updated mine on Friday via USB, worked perfectly. No issues.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I updated mine on Friday via USB, worked perfectly. No issues.
My wife went out to go to work, only to find the battery in her 2018 Outback to be dead. Had it replace under warranty 6 months ago. She is not liking her Outback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts