Subaru Outback Forums banner

Software update failed, would you like to retry?

28K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Dantrax 
#1 ·
Got an email a few days ago that my current head unit Rel_A1.19.12.20 software in my ‘18 non-navigation Outback can be updated OTA to Rel_A2.20.07.20 or Rel_A2.20.18.20. After checking for updates I only get a message informing me of “software update failure, would you like to retry?” I hit okay to retry but nothing happens. I have already done a successful OTA update last year and I am within strong WiFi signal so why am I getting this message? I don’t see the files posted online in order to update via USB.

#3 ·
Same as above, remove yourself from your network and then rejoin. Another possible action, your head unit may operate like my NAV unit and try press and hold your Tune knob to force a head unit reboot. Then start again.

When mine has done odd things, I do the reset

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have attempted the software update too, but it failed in the end and now the head unit is turned off and won't turn back on.
The new software was downloaded and during installation, the system rebooted, but right after that I got a message saying that "the update failed and the unit will now turn off".
Anybody encountered it? Is there any way to turn the unit back on to try again?

#11 ·
Interesting. Updated my 2018 unit OTA in my garage off my WiFi (more than once).

Head unit replaced 1.5 yr ago under recall. A few updates since that time without issue. While there have been a small number of reported issues on this forum, I don't think the sample size-results warrant a complete failure of Subara/SOA in this area. Because the option exists to update without cracking the code/Passwords [user accessible], if it fails the issue can be resolved by dealer under warranty.

#13 ·
Interesting. Updated my 2018 unit OTA in my garage off my WiFi (more than once).

Head unit replaced 1.5 yr ago under recall. A few updates since that time without issue. While there have been a small number of reported issues on this forum, I don't think the sample size-results warrant a complete failure of Subara/SOA in this area. Because the option exists to update without cracking the code/Passwords [user accessible], if it fails the issue can be resolved by dealer under warranty.

I have also done several updates via wifi previously, but this one just seemed to mess up the entire head unit. I will let the dealer figure it out.

#14 ·
I have done several OTA and USB updates over past 9 months, all worked fine, though the full USB upgrade with NAV takes about 40-50mins and hangs for a long time on the maps bit. I needed a 32GB stick to hold the UK/EU latest May update. you can register (need your VIN) and d/l the software from here -- : Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal
I updated mine on Friday via USB, worked perfectly. No issues.

#19 ·
I updated my 2019 Outback Premium yesterday (DAB radio version- Australia). First time I tried it suddenly went black after step 3 of 9. I tried another USB stick, and it went further then stopped with the failed update message after Gracenote update. I then found a USB stick I had used previously that I had kept in the car, created another install (number 3) and it worked perfectly. I did notice the USB sticks were very hot during the updates. I consider myself very lucky - I am not going to update this myself ever again. (My free subscription is running out anyway in a month).

I cant explain the difference in the USB sticks, the one that worked was out of the same pack of 5 as the first one that failed!

#20 ·
Does the updater ask you to enter the activation code when you update OTA? That step may be missing if you update OTA. I used a 32Gb USB stick and I had to delete and update the map downloader software first. I then opened my Subaru account and got a code to get the activation code. I then entered that code when asked and proceeded with the update as usual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.