Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased an Outback Touring XT. When I got it home in the garage I was able to join it to my home WiFi network. I then asked it to check for any software updates and it said it was up to date. When I go to system information I see this:
Software Version: F11GHM020-502
Map Version: 17080

Three questions
  1. Are these the most recent versions of software and maps? I see the 502 at the end of software version and I am thinking there is a newer version
  2. If it is not the newest version, why when it checks for a newer version it does not find one? How can I get the newest version?
  3. Is there other firmware/software besides what I show above? I kept thinking that there was some other spot to check including some possibly newer firmware for the amplifier that runs the sound system

·
Registered
28 Posts
We just purchased an Outback Touring XT. When I got it home in the garage I was able to join it to my home WiFi network. I then asked it to check for any software updates and it said it was up to date. When I go to system information I see this:
Software Version: F11GHM020-502
Map Version: 17080

Three questions
  1. Are these the most recent versions of software and maps? I see the 502 at the end of software version and I am thinking there is a newer version
  2. If it is not the newest version, why when it checks for a newer version it does not find one? How can I get the newest version?
  3. Is there other firmware/software besides what I show above? I kept thinking that there was some other spot to check including some possibly newer firmware for the amplifier that runs the sound system
1. I believe the most recent version of software is 504. And I believe there’s a newer version of the map, although the specific number escapes me.
2. I believe that the newest version is supposed to be dealer installed (there is a “bulletin” out for it, I think). That being said, there’s a GIGATHREAD on this topic in which a forum member or two were given access to the newest software version and map files and many other forum members have completed their own installations/updates.
3. I believe that’s it.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there some reason why a software update needs to be dealer installed? What good is the software update check then in the menu of my Outback?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring (not XT)
51 Posts
First of all, your software is two versions out of date. The current version is the 504. Second, it is my understanding that over-the-air updates will be available at some point in the future. You can
also do it yourself, but seeing as how the dealer delivered your vehicle with out of date software, I would have them do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I did not realize that even though the Outback attempts to check for new software updates that this feature does not work yet. I am surprised they did not have this working right when they started selling the car

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
340 Posts
Map is also out of date, although the latest one is from January and I think a new one is due out any day now. I'd hold off on the maps for a little bit to see if the new ones drops soon, Also, it took over a month after delivery before my vin was recognized on subaru-maps.com to download it anyway...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a spot somewhere where it lists all the latest versions so someone would know if they are out of date or not?

·
Registered
2020 Outback
301 Posts
Is there a spot somewhere where it lists all the latest versions so someone would know if they are out of date or not?
Maybe someone smarter than I should create a sticky. Something along the lines of that gigathread consolidated to two or three relevant posts, maybe even just a couple paragraphs with the information one needs to update themselves, or what would be helpful to take to a less than knowledgable dealership.

Personally, I would hesitate to direct anyone to read that entire thread who simply wants basic information on getting the update done! o_O

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnettie Grey Metallic
277 Posts
What about the version of software running on the infotainment system, is that also found on the Subaru site
There is a whole thread on this, read up on it so you do it correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know when Subaru will make over the air firmware updates available so we do not have to go to a dealer to do this?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,020 Posts
What about the version of software running on the infotainment system, is that also found on the Subaru site
No, you need to read through the other thread, unfortunately. It's long, but it has all you need, including links to the files.
Or you can go to the dealer and get it done there.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
717 Posts
Here's the really short version on 504: usb installed either by the dealer or by the owner if you get the files from the dealer or the gigathread. 704 is an abbreviated version of 504 and will supposedly be released over the air. My dealer told me a customer tried to do 704 OTA and failed because of a poor wifi connection, but I haven't heard of anyone else who has actually seen 704 so the communication from that one particular customer might be inaccurate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts