Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2020 Outback Limited with Navigation running version 503 of the info software just informed me that a software update to version 704 is available via Wi-Fi. I downloaded the update and the vehicle installed the update. During installation I was told to keep the engine running until the update was complete. When done I received a message that final installation of the update required a vehicle start. I restarted the vehicle and eventually the new version appeared in Software. A second restart might be required for complete initialization of the software.

NOTE: While my update proceeded correctly many users have subsequently reported that their update failed resulting in a blank info screen. My suggestion is to NOT INSTALL 704 until problems are solved. But if you decide to proceed be sure to follow instructions carefully, do the update with a good Wi-Fi signal and have a reliable internet connection. Easy access to a good dealer is another consideration. Not sure why some users are experiencing problems while others seem to have success.

There are several comments about what all has changed with this update later in this thread.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,647 Posts
My 2020 Outback Limited with Navigation just informed me that a software update to version 704 is available via Wi-Fi. I downloaded the update and the vehicle installed the update. During installation I was told to keep the engine running until the update was complete. When done I received a message that final installation of the update required a vehicle start. I restarted the vehicle and eventually the new version appeared in Software. A second restart might be required for complete initialization of the software.

Not sure what all has changed with this update. I'll spend more time checking into that tomorrow.
Were you on 504 before?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
68 Posts
Wasn’t there an abbreviated version of 504 that they said was going to be pushed out via WiFi? Sounds like that’s it.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
772 Posts
My 2020 Outback Limited with Navigation just informed me that a software update to version 704 is available via Wi-Fi. I downloaded the update and the vehicle installed the update. During installation I was told to keep the engine running until the update was complete. When done I received a message that final installation of the update required a vehicle start. I restarted the vehicle and eventually the new version appeared in Software. A second restart might be required for complete initialization of the software.

Not sure what all has changed with this update. I'll spend more time checking into that tomorrow.
Any chance this is small enough to be done by connecting the car to my phone as a WiFi hotspot? Our cars can see our home WiFi network but we’re too far away to get a useable signal so I thought maybe it could be done over the cell network if I can get my wife’s car to connect to my phone, it failed the first time I tried.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
185 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
85 Posts
Really weird. There is exactly one thing you don't get with 704 as compared to 504 and it's the clock setting enhancement?
I agree, that's odd. Maybe they don't update one of the components in 704 and it happens to handle the clock setting change. But that's the only one? Weird.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just checked for an update over wi fi 3 days ago and it said there was nothing. I bought the onyx's in March and April. I'll check again today.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring Silica Black
45 Posts
So I just did the OTA update, Outback 2020 Touring. Downloaded and installed. It did come up saying that once the car is restarted it would complete the install process. I restarted, but it appears that it did not complete the install. I am wondering if the car has to be turned off for some time before restarting for the update to actually take place. I believe when you shut the car, and open the door which completely shuts the system down, that it still is essentially "on" and needs time to time-out before it can complete. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine showed up today over wifi. Download took forever. Installation failed, tried again and shows stuck on software update setup is initializing. Whole thing is confusing, they don't tell you if car has to be running or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine showed up today over wifi. Download took forever. Installation failed, tried again and shows stuck on software update setup is initializing. Whole thing is confusing, they don't tell you if car has to be running or not.
I did my update on the road while driving (started download and install before driving obviously). Worked just fine on both ends. The final step is what I am waiting on now. I have been out of my car for 2 hours or so. Going to see if it completes later when I start the car. If it is having an issue downloading, might be a bad connection. Try getting closer to the router if that's possible. If not, use your phone as a hotspot - that's what I did.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
31 Posts
So I just did the OTA update, Outback 2020 Touring. Downloaded and installed. It did come up saying that once the car is restarted it would complete the install process. I restarted, but it appears that it did not complete the install. I am wondering if the car has to be turned off for some time before restarting for the update to actually take place. I believe when you shut the car, and open the door which completely shuts the system down, that it still is essentially "on" and needs time to time-out before it can complete. Anyone else notice this?
Yes- I had to shut the car down completely, close the doors, lock the car and walk away (with the fob) for 5 mins. Came back, started it up and a screen said "latest updated applied". Now the Apply Car Play is full screen which is nice. But I thought there was one less step for the stop start switch? Not showing that update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, great so glad to hear that. I would also love to see an auto-lock feature added and the ability to set a time amount for that. I am shocked that the car doesn't have it already.

1 - 20 of 496 Posts