Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2020 touring outback 06 outback XT 05 outback XT 94 touring wagon 94 SVX 84 Brat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter bought a 98 forester that had a new short block from subaru put in 3000 miles before. I thought that this would be a good car for her that wouldn't need much work. Ha Ha!! After she drove it less than a 1000 miles it developed a rod knock. After pulling the engine and taking the heads off number 4 piston had a good 1/16th of inch play in it. Tried to get Subaru to replace the short block but they wouldn't because it wasn't installed by a subaru mechanic. It was done by an independent shop. After splitting the block and taking the crankshaft down to the machine shop it is too bad to have turned. I thought that all dohc had 48 mm rod journals. This crank has 52 mm journals.
The question I have is that I have a sohc engine that I went through the bottom end and new rings rebuilt heads and new timing belt components. Will this fit in if I change the wiring harness from the dohc over?

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a new crank for it and rod? It has rebuilt heads and new timing components.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
you can use that motor.

you can attempt to swap all the intake wiring harness over...i've only "heard" of someone doing it, haven't done it myself.

another option would be to simply bolt your 98 DOHC heads onto the SOHC block. not really out any extra time or parts costs.

it's a better and more robust block anyway, the DOHC is just a bear of a motor, headgaskets are maintenance items, and they eat bearings all the time. SOHC's are much better. install the turbo gaskets (642 last three digits of subaru part number) on them and don't overheat/run low on oil and they're golden. just verify that the 642 gasket will work with those DOHC heads...i'm fairly certain it will, i've swapped DOHC/SOHC blocks before...just don't hold me to that from memory, late at night, typing fast.

Subaru requires a coolant conditioner in Phase II SOHC EJ25 vehicles...so if you go that route i suppose the block requires it but the heads don't...LOL. i'd just add a bottle for good measure, it surely won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2020 touring outback 06 outback XT 05 outback XT 94 touring wagon 94 SVX 84 Brat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hate to take heads off sohc since it has just been rebuilt with everything new or rebuilt. I did it for a 99 Forester but ended up fixing the engine that was in it.thanks grossgary for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.