Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 Subaru Outback Ltd.

• Car in Austin, Texas since 2009
  • Texas car since new – purchased CPO in 2009 (second owner)
  • 101,000+ miles
  • Last year of Gen 3 – analog controls and nice cockpit
  • Entire maintenance history by Subaru of Austin since 2009; all service intervals hit and recommended service (even after warranty ended)
  • Complete records including all service, most oil changes, original sale and CPO records, state registrations, etc.
  • Registration (August 2020); Clean Texas title in hand
  • New battery (Sept 2020), Takata recall, Subaru inspection and alignment (August 2020)
  • Timing belt, idlers, fluids, valve cover gaskets, and everything that goes with 60K major service at 80,457 miles (2017) – rest of service history is like that

• Pearl white exterior; light tan cloth interior; dark tinted windows
  • No accidents
  • Subaru heavy duty floor mats; factory fog lights; towing package – used twice
  • Yakima racks and Space Case
  • Original Subaru cross-bars; rear cargo netting; owner’s manual
  • Clean – detailed in September; tires are good
  • Inspection welcome

Administrators, I’ve been a member since May 2012 with probably no activity. This is because I do what so many regular posters want – I research a question before I ask. Most issues I just took to Subaru, but I did use the forum from time to time. Thanks everybody – you answered all of my questions. I appreciate it.

Asking $8,450 – I’m open to reasonable offers but Austin is a good Subaru market. Dealers ask $7000 for twice the miles and no service records. I’ve watched some of the ebay listings. Listed locally, but I prefer a buyer who appreciates what they’re getting. Lots of pics – ask for details. Digital service records to serious buyers. I’ve spent a lot on this car the last three years, because I never intended to sell it.

The car is tight and feels exactly like an Outback should. Interior is one of my favorites – light tan cloth with a black dash (with the tint it’s super dark inside but also light due to the interior color); everything is analog, big knobs, and simple controls. Heated seats and windows all work. AC works the same as when I bought it. Front power outlet doesn’t work but center console and rear cargo outlets work. The car also has an aux input in the center console.

This is an outstanding car – I drove it through a crazy storm on the way to Albuquerque, to North Carolina and the Blue Ridge, Colorado, New Mexico, multiple trips a year to Marfa/Terlingua, New Orleans, Florida, camping trips, etc.

This Outback has been very reliable. But I’ve also spent a fair amount to keep it in great mechanical shape. My rough estimate is about $6,000 over the last 3-4 years. This was my daily driver until June 2020 when I found out that 2019 was the last year of the 3.6. On a whim, I looked and found the only available 2019 Outback Touring 3.6 in green with tan leather interior (at the time) at a San Antonio dealership. Even my wife liked it more than a 2019 4Runner we drove to compare. I bought it CPO Gold. It’s exactly what I want, so now I’m selling my ’09. Otherwise, I’d still be driving the '09 every day.

Comparing the two, the 2019 is nice and has more power, but I still like driving the '09. The controls are so simple compared to my 2019 and it’s a slightly smaller, tighter car. Plus, I think the Gen 3’s are the nicest looking Outbacks – a good mix of old and new. The 2019 is a pretty car. My ’09 is white, basic, but looks good and runs great.

Service History: I bought this Outback in 2009 from Subaru of Georgetown (Tx) as Certified Pre-Owned Gold Package with 26,000 miles. After I bought it, all maintenance was done by Subaru of Austin except tires, oil changes, and brake pads. All service interval maintenance was done, plus all recommended service with a few rare exceptions like the tire pressure light. Even after the warranty ran out, I kept it maintained by Subaru of Austin.

When I bought the car, they told me my service intervals were pushed back by 20,000 miles because it had been CPO’d at 26,000. If you look at my service intervals, this is the case. For instance, the 60,000-mile service was at 80,000 miles, which is also when I had them do some major work like timing belt, plugs, etc. That was in June of 2017.

Most recent service was August 2020 – Takata airbag and alignment. Most recent before that was November 2019 – rear brake pads and rotors. I only used Subaru and followed their recommendations because this car was driven not only every day to work, but all of our trips to Colorado, New Orleans, West Texas, Blue Ridge, etc. I never want to break down on a road trip with my wife, so Subaru did all the work. Plus they cost about the same as the better shops in Austin. My daily drive to work is about three miles – and that kept my mileage to about 75,000 over ten years.

I have all of the service records in hard and some in digital copy, including sales records, most oil changes, registrations, and the CPO Gold package. When Subaru of Austin recommended work, I usually had it done. I have not had the tire pressure indicators fixed so that light stays on. Subaru wants $600 for that work. I just check the tire pressure every couple of months. You should do that anyway.

The car has never been in an accident, but it does have minor dents and dings, a couple of small rock chips on the hood, a few light scratches, bumper scrapes, etc. It is not a flawless exterior. I have pics of everything. To me, this is a get-in and go anywhere driver that looks good – exactly what a Subaru should be. The interior is clean except for a rough spot on the front corner of the right rear passenger seat. The window tint is starting to peel at the corners and there are two or three scratches in the tint. Passenger side rear window has some tape residue from the dealer sticker that I could never seem to get off. The car spent all of its working life in a parking garage. That is, 8-6 M-F, and some weekends.

Tires have plenty of tread. Subaru inspected them in August and had no problems. Austin Subaru sells a lot of tires, so these should be fine.

Takata airbag recall went through two services. First, they did a temporary fix a few years ago. In August 2020 I had the permanent fix done through recall. The only problem is that they didn’t do a perfect job on the dash – you can see some spots where they cut into it. You have to look for it. Ask for pics if you’re concerned.

I’ll assist serious buyers with getting the car inspected and shipped at the buyer’s expense. Prefer a $1,000 deposit, which gets you the digital service records dating back to about 42,000 miles, and 14 days to get it inspected and finish the deal. I have complete hard copy records of all service starting in 2011, which is probably my first service interval after I bought it. Austin Subaru is about 10-15 minutes from my house if you want them to inspect. They just did a full inspection in August 2020 when I took it in for the airbag recall – that’s why I had it aligned. I didn’t think it was out of alignment. Anyway, you can look at that doc to see what their inspection turned up, which is the tire pressure light.

As-is. No warranty. Buyer will need to sign a simple bill of sale and a Texas seller’s disclosure. Texas buyers need a Form 130-U to transfer title.

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
429 Posts
If I was in need of a car, would drive from Houston to get it (drive a 2018 touring 3.6r myself)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super-Duper Moderator
376 Posts
It may be your 1st post.... But we can see you are a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time lurker.....

Reactions: Kevin and Marcinho

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
Status of head gaskets is usually of interest - are these originals?

Nice clean Gen 3!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be your 1st post.... But we can see you are a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time lurker.....
I hope lurker is a compliment. Although most my lurking over the years has been in the Pelican 911 forums.

Schroeder, I do like the 2019 3.6 a lot. Need some more lurking though to turn off the cruise control beeping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll need to review the service history and get back to you.
I reviewed my digital service history and the head gaskets have not been replaced.

I also discovered that, when the timing belt was replaced, I did not have them replace the water pump. This comes as a surprise to me - I own several cars and always have the water pump replaced when the timing belt is replaced (along with idler pulleys and anything else while they're in the front end). I have no idea why I "declined" to have it replaced, unless the service advisor had said its usually not necessary - which would be odd. I have no explanation for this. I changed the ad to reflect that the water pump was not replaced.

Thanks for the question - it helped me catch something in my ad.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts
I have no idea why I "declined" to have it [water pump] replaced, unless the service advisor had said its usually not necessary - which would be odd. I have no explanation for this.
It means the service writer was being honest with you, as it is true that it's usually not necessary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Subaru Outback Ltd.

• Car in Austin, Texas since 2009
  • Texas car since new – purchased CPO in 2009 (second owner)
  • 101,000+ miles
  • Last year of Gen 3 – analog controls and nice cockpit
  • Entire maintenance history by Subaru of Austin since 2009; all service intervals hit and recommended service (even after warranty ended)
  • Complete records including all service, most oil changes, original sale and CPO records, state registrations, etc.
  • Registration (August 2020); Clean Texas title in hand
  • New battery (Sept 2020), Takata recall, Subaru inspection and alignment (August 2020)
  • Timing belt, idlers, fluids, valve cover gaskets, and everything that goes with 60K major service at 80,457 miles (2017) – rest of service history is like that

• Pearl white exterior; light tan cloth interior; dark tinted windows
  • No accidents
  • Subaru heavy duty floor mats; factory fog lights; towing package – used twice
  • Yakima racks and Space Case
  • Original Subaru cross-bars; rear cargo netting; owner’s manual
  • Clean – detailed in September; tires are good
  • Inspection welcome
Hello there, I didn't see any contact information in your post. I'm very interested in this Outback and would like to connect with you if it's still available for sale.

I'm also based in Austin, on the south side of town near Stassney lane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello there, I didn't see any contact information in your post. I'm very interested in this Outback and would like to connect with you if it's still available for sale.

I'm also based in Austin, on the south side of town near Stassney lane.
Hello,

I get an email when someone responds to the posting. You can also PM me. Let's take this offline through a pm and I'll get you my email address. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello,

I get an email when someone responds to the posting. You can also PM me. Let's take this offline through a pm and I'll get you my email address. Thanks
Car is sold to Srajan. Great to deal with. Thanks and hope the forum takes care of any questions he has.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.