1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$250 obo
($440 new from RalliTek)

Seattle area, local preferred

I bought a few different lift options to experiment with on my '12 outback. Now I'm hoping to sell the kits I didn't stick with. These were only on the car for a couple weeks while I tried out various kits. This kit was a 1" front and 1.4" rear. The front springs are oem height, and the kit came with a 1" spacer on the strut cap. I kept the strut spacers; those are $110/pair from RalliTek.

The RalliTek springs are not a bad product. If I regularly carried more people or gear I would have kept these. But my Outback is a daily driver. I just wanted a slight lift for some occasional weekend fun. At the end of the day, these springs are too firm for my daily commute. They advertise at about 20% stiffer than stock, and I think that feels accurate. I also tried King springs for comparison and the Kings are definitely stiffer than these RalliTeks.

(Side note: If you go down the path of lifting your ob like I did, you will want to get upgraded struts too. My oem struts could not keep up with these springs. I ended up getting the Cusco adjustable struts and really like them.)

Local is preferred, but if you want to discuss shipping them somewhere the box dimensions would be 14"x14"x16.5" and 35 lbs. It would be coming from 98021.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose that is important information. 😋
Greater Seattle area. Local preferred.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated with box dimensions. Local is preferred, but if you want to discuss shipping them somewhere the box dimensions would be 14"x14"x16.5" and 35 lbs. It would be coming from 98021.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Did the 2014 they were installed with have the 2.5 or the 3.6? - I know the 3.6 models get a bit higher rate springs from the factory to accommodate the extra weight. I've also added a rather heavy 2" hitch, and sound proofing, and carry another 40 lbs or so of stuff under the cargo floor. - Just thinking how much firmer they'd be. (Back end sinks like the titantic with two people in the back seat, or 10 bags of mulch).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the factory spring rates are, or if they're different between the 3.6 and 2.5 models, but mine is a '12 3.6. Honestly if I regularly carried any weight I would have kept the ralliTeks. The ride is firmer, but not rough. If you have weight in the back it probably would be similar to stock. In my case I usually run light, and I chose comfy over carrying capacity. But it was a tough choice...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Are you sure the rears aren't 0.4 inch, plus a 1" spacer, as a kit? - Pretty sure the spring itself is only 0.4.

If I was closer, I'd probably buy them, the shipping is a killer. Would they fit into a USPS flat rate box, even if fronts in one, and rears in another?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I’m sure about the 1.4” in the rear. It looks like RalliTek changed the product line to 0.4” with a 1” spacer. That would make sense given that their front springs are set up that way. When I bought back in April-ish the rear spring alone was 1.4”. Happy to show you the invoice if it helps. 😊

I might be willing to compromise a bit on the shipping. This listing is OBO. I’m not goingto give them away but I’d rather someone get some use out of them rather than going to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Any chance you know the part number for the rear springs? - Want to check spring rate, and if different struts are needed.

Wonder if they'll sell just front spacers with camber adjust to match.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, RalliTek sells spacers by the pair in a couple of sizes. Primitive Racing sells a lot more size options though and I think they might be cheaper. Details are listed on their websites. Attached is my original invoice with part numbers. Notice that the front kit lists two part numbers, the springs and the 1" lift spacers. The rear kit only mentions the one part number, which is the springs. That same part number (RTEK-830-522-355) now lists a 0.4" spring on RalliTek's website.

Spring rates are listed on RalliTek's website. I believe they are 355 lb/in.

If you're only going up 1-1.4" you won't need a camber adjustment. The stock front bolts have enough play. You only really need to adjust the geometry if you go 2" or more. I also experimented with a subframe spacer kit, thinking that since I was close to that 2" height threshold in the rear I might want it just in case. While it does position the rear subframe lower, potentially giving me more suspension droop and better alignment, it also had the negative effect of introducing a shudder at 25-30 mph. (It's a common problem with outbacks lifted 2" or more.) Someone made a transmission mount insert that was supposed to fix the shudder, but it didn't work for me. It just moved the harmonic to a different speed and introduces a lot more vibration across the rpm band. I did a lot of trial and error in this process, so long story short I would not recommend adjusting your geometry unless you're prepared to make sacrifices in comfort. Staying under 1.5" means you get a nice boost in ground clearance/ride height, while not sacrificing what makes the outback great.

I would, however, recommend upgrading your struts. I know RalliTek says the springs are compatible with stock, but I don't agree. My stock struts were not up to the challenge of dampening the rebound of these springs. I wound up getting a set of adjustable struts from Primitive and I really like them. They weren't cheap, and they were a pain to install, but being able to dial in the dampening force is really nice.

One more thing I forgot to put in the ad: a pair of strut extenders. I'd be happy to include those in this sale. They would go with the rear springs since they are a spring only lift (no spacers). Let me know if you want me to provide more details there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts