Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my 17 outback 3.6R, never felt so relieved selling a vehicle.
Long story short, 9 month ownership, 11 times dealer visit, replaced cvt, seat rails, steering controls, etc. Subaru dealership in souther California has a average BBB rating of D. C is the best, lots of Fs and couple Ds. Nobody at my dealership cares about doing things right at the first place and once problem occurred, they kick you around.
I would like to list some points sharing my honest experience.

1. The 3.6 flat 6 is smooth and quiet, sometimes you think the engine is off when idle.
2. Eye sight system is really good and effective, also very cheap.
3. Rear passanger leg room is awesome, heated rear seat and reclines.
4. Snow and sand dune off road capability is awesome. (with adequate tires)
5. Fuel economy is not the best but it’s a full time awd and station wagon.
6. CVT total failure at 15K miles.
7. Driver seat squeaking crazy, replaced seat rails.
8. Replaced steering mounted volume control.
9. Interior trim noise/squeaking around passenger B pillar area.
10. Navigation screen freezing you have to turn car off and on to reboot system.
11. Blind spot monitoring went out but magically came back after scheduling services.
12. CVT is nowhere near smooth, torque convertor lock up jerks the vehicle at around 17 mils every single time. Also shifting is very harsh and uncomfortable during hard acceleration. Lots of time when you made a complete stop and the moment your foot lightly touches the gas pedal, (ie stop sign, red light) the vehicle lunched forward, literally LUNCH forward.
13. No auto lock and unlock.
14. No rain sensing wipers (no big deal but odd they don't have it since it got so much sensor and cameras)
15. Seat trim cover cut into your leg when wearing short.
16. Turn signal auto cancelation does not work until you turn your wheel at least 90 degrees.
17. Cannot adjust dash backlight brightness(will turn into full brightness as soon as you turn lights off) when headlamp is at off position.
18. Seat position memory does not memory mirror position.
19. Windshield mounted rear view mirror loose and shakes with vehicle vibration.
20. Battery is weak, need replacement/upgrade asap.
21. AC is weak, here in southern California summer is not efficient to cool down a black colored vehicle when stopped in traffic or in parking lot. Once you get up to speed and more air flow is passing the condenser it gets colder.
22. Heated seats is very very weak. The only time it gets hot is ironically when the dealer fuc k boy mechanic messed up the wiring during the seat rail replacement, it stayed powered on.
23. Sound quality is sh1t. Defiantly feel like they spend all the money on that HK logo and branding fees, and left with no money to buy the speakers. Lightyears away from the one in Mercedes and land rovers.
24. For $40k out the door price with pre-paid maintenance plan, it’s CHEAP!!!

Someone would say I'm nitpicking, but its just my honest experience. It totally depend on where you come form, range rover, or chevy spark, you get the idea. I would like to say it’s still a very nice and capable vehicle that worthy every penny. Just wish mine was more reliable and less drama, and Subaru should really work on their dealership’s customer services.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,793 Posts
That is sad but things happen. Surely, record sales all the time are causing issues here and there. But if I had the same experience, I would do just as you.

Out of curiosity, what vehicles will you be looking at, assuming sand capability still matters?

You are spot on about the lack of support at some dealerships. If I had not lucked into a great service department, I might have run away years ago. Some are dreadful (not the techs, the service departments).

You are also spot on that Subaru AC is a joke except on the Tribeca. The OB AC is pathetic behind the first seats. I am in AZ.

Thanks for your sensible review. Wish you better luck with your next car!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
OB is such a mixed bag: lots of minor issues and a few not so minor. I'm grateful for the good resale value - this is the first new car I've bought in many years that I'm looking to replace as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Long story short, 9 month ownership, 11 times dealer visit, replaced cvt, seat rails, steering controls, etc. Subaru dealership in souther California has a average BBB rating of D. C is the best, lots of Fs and couple Ds. Nobody at my dealership cares about doing things right at the first place and once problem occurred, they kick you around.
I would like to list some points sharing my honest experience. ........
Sorry to hear about all your issues. After I read your post I had to check and make sure I had actually bought a Subaru because my experience with my 3 OB's over the past seven years has/have been vastly different than yours.

My only question is why you suffered your dealer without trying different one?

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Someone would say I'm nitpicking, but its just my honest experience. It totally depend on where you come form, range rover, or chevy spark, you get the idea. I would like to say it’s still a very nice and capable vehicle that worthy every penny. Just wish mine was more reliable and less drama, and Subaru should really work on their dealership’s customer services.
You are correct, it all depends where you are coming from.

I came from a GMC Acadia. I read new owner's amazement at the room inside an OB. Compared to the Acadia I consider it down sizing.

The OB is a good value at it's price point but as you have found out, some corners need to be cut to maintain that price point.

So what did you replace it with? I'm about to replace my '15. Pretty sure it will be with a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
Either you are nitpicking, or you bought a lemon as my 2016 Ltd has none of the problems you are talking about, other than mediocre gas mileage (2.5 in my case). Good luck with your next car!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
That is sad but things happen. Surely, record sales all the time are causing issues here and there. But if I had the same experience, I would do just as you.

Out of curiosity, what vehicles will you be looking at, assuming sand capability still matters?

You are spot on about the lack of support at some dealerships. If I had not lucked into a great service department, I might have run away years ago. Some are dreadful (not the techs, the service departments).

You are also spot on that Subaru AC is a joke except on the Tribeca. The OB AC is pathetic behind the first seats. I am in AZ.

Thanks for your sensible review. Wish you better luck with your next car!

ever see any of these local zona "swamp coolers" on modern vehicle,....yours could be the first,...the envy of all others. .

based on image searches someone was putting them on zona cars in the 1950s:

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
ever see any of these local zona "swamp coolers" on modern vehicle,....yours could be the first,...the envy of all others. .
Very timely, my brother and I were talking to a fellow car guy about these at a car cruise Saturday evening. He was looking to add AC to his 51 Chevy and thought the Vintage Air system a bit too pricey.

Been a long time since I've seen one of those on a car.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts
Very timely, my brother and I were talking to a fellow car guy about these at a car cruise Saturday evening. He was looking to add AC to his 51 Chevy and thought the Vintage Air system a bit too pricey.

Been a long time since I've seen one of those on a car.
from talking to people that lived in zona,...those things add cool water to the air,... and its a old idea at that. (edit: I think it started as a "cheap" form of A/C as the dampness would just burn off in the regular overly dry condition)

...or in some houses it was hard to get air conditioners to perform properly in the already dry air.

maybe with some houses having a swamp box and a air conditioner working together,....or just bigger / better/ smarter air conditioners.

but I think outside those areas it would just act like a cold water humidifier, making things damp and clammy.

pics like this call it a "evaporative cooler"

maybe you or @MiddleAgeSubie could make one of these or invest $100 in a store bought cold water humidifier, and drive around with it running in the hatch of a beloved subaru and report back. on their operations in Zona and your part of the universe.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,793 Posts
Definitely a lemon there. After 40k miles, I still have no loose/squeaky stuff and the CVT is smooth as silk. Strange to find someone from SoCal complaining about the heated seats, but I can assure you that (when working properly) there's plenty of heat for the front seats to get you through a winter in the northeast.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
They should have given you a new car under lemon laws
Why? The OP did not report any mechanical failures that were not repaired.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
I'm reading this post to know what I might be in for. So far though my car has been faultless. But then auto locking doors always bothered me. Maybe my hearing isn't good enough to hear the seat rails, no, it's just a matter of being unlucky with the particular car you got. The fact that the service was so poor is the stinker.
There are problem child cars from every manufacture.
Good luck with the next one!

Reactions: 1454

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moonroof Pkg+Power Rear Gate+Starlink in Venetian Red Pearl
35 Posts
Your compkaints are half nitpicky and half lemony. The big complaints are not common and it sounds like the dealer made things a million times worse. You should have been barking directly up SOA's tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
Do people actually know what the lemon laws are? It for the same repair several times. Most of the list is gripes none more than once. Op if you not happy with the car get rid of it. Most of what your gripping about is stuff that there is nothing you can do about.

Edit you did get rid of, so question is why did you come here to vent when the deed is done? move on.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Do people actually know what the lemon laws are? It for the same repair several times. Most of the list is gripes none more than once. Op if you not happy with the car get rid of it. Most of what your gripping about is stuff that there is nothing you can do about.

Edit you did get rid of, so question is why did you come here to vent when the deed is done? move on.
I think a good number here have no clue as to the purpose of lemon laws.

Reactions: Cincron

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
I would like to list some points sharing my honest experience.

1. The 3.6 flat 6 is smooth and quiet, sometimes you think the engine is off when idle.
2. Eye sight system is really good and effective, also very cheap.
3. Rear passanger leg room is awesome, heated rear seat and reclines.
4. Snow and sand dune off road capability is awesome. (with adequate tires)
5. Fuel economy is not the best but it’s a full time awd and station wagon.
6. CVT total failure at 15K miles.
7. Driver seat squeaking crazy, replaced seat rails.
Agreed, this can be a pain, especially if they refuse to fix it the first time (as with my first car)

8. Replaced steering mounted volume control.
9. Interior trim noise/squeaking around passenger B pillar area.
10. Navigation screen freezing you have to turn car off and on to reboot system.
Had this occasionally too, I just wish the OEM's would just give a screen with good mirroring capabilities and decent speakers.

11. Blind spot monitoring went out but magically came back after scheduling services.
12. CVT is nowhere near smooth, torque convertor lock up jerks the vehicle at around 17 mils every single time. Also shifting is very harsh and uncomfortable during hard acceleration. Lots of time when you made a complete stop and the moment your foot lightly touches the gas pedal, (ie stop sign, red light) the vehicle lunched forward, literally LUNCH forward.
13. No auto lock and unlock.
Nit picky, never bothered by this.
14. No rain sensing wipers (no big deal but odd they don't have it since it got so much sensor and cameras)
Agreed.
15. Seat trim cover cut into your leg when wearing short.
16. Turn signal auto cancelation does not work until you turn your wheel at least 90 degrees.
that's what the tap blinker is for.

17. Cannot adjust dash backlight brightness(will turn into full brightness as soon as you turn lights off) when headlamp is at off position.
Can you elaborate? Do you just mean in daylight? At night, you can adjust the dash lights with the switch in the auto position. Which is where I leave it exclusively.

18. Seat position memory does not memory mirror position.
This was a pretty major oversight, IMO.

19. Windshield mounted rear view mirror loose and shakes with vehicle vibration.
20. Battery is weak, need replacement/upgrade asap.
21. AC is weak, here in southern California summer is not efficient to cool down a black colored vehicle when stopped in traffic or in parking lot. Once you get up to speed and more air flow is passing the condenser it gets colder.
It does seem like they put some effort into fixing this for the 2018's. It didn't seem as loud in the one I drove, and it seemed to be more efficent.

22. Heated seats is very very weak. The only time it gets hot is ironically when the dealer fuc k boy mechanic messed up the wiring during the seat rail replacement, it stayed powered on.
I can't emphasize enough how much I dislike the local dealer network in my area. This is something they should be putting more emphasis on.
23. Sound quality is sh1t. Defiantly feel like they spend all the money on that HK logo and branding fees, and left with no money to buy the speakers. Lightyears away from the one in Mercedes and land rovers.
not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Your money, spend it how you feel necessary. I have a hard enough time wrestling with the fact I paid 35k for a depreciating asset, and I did look at more expensive vehicles before deciding it wasn't worth it to spend more. I guess it just depends on whether a little sound quality is worth loosing another 10k, or more, over 5-10 years.
24. For $40k out the door price with pre-paid maintenance plan, it’s CHEAP!!!
See the comment above.
I think you let the trans issue jade your judgement a little too much. It does suck that it happened to you, but it is a mass produced product and defects do happen. I hope you are happier with the next purchase more.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
I think you let the trans issue jade your judgement a little too much. It does suck that it happened to you, but it is a mass produced product and defects do happen. I hope you are happier with the next purchase more.
Majority OB buyers buy these cars for daily transportation, so I think mechanical fault need to be sorted, I'm willing to overlook lack of smaller gadgets and small faults if the car is dead solid reliable mechanically, which is why Toyota became Toyota.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,793 Posts
Do people actually know what the lemon laws are? It for the same repair several times. Most of the list is gripes none more than once...
LOL, just one post mentioned law. I never said "lemon law", I just said "lemon", as in a generally defective/excessively problematic thing. I suspect that adjective was around long before the lemon laws came to be. Given the shear number of odd problems, taken at face value (perhaps exaggerated, but we have no way to know for sure), I think it's fair to say this vehicle is quite the outlier.

You don't exactly sound familiar with the laws, either. For vehicles in NJ (and IA, perhaps others), it's not necessarily the same repair several times, it can simply be in excess of 20 cumulative days out of service for one or more defects.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Majority OB buyers buy these cars for daily transportation, so I think mechanical fault need to be sorted, I'm willing to overlook lack of smaller gadgets and small faults if the car is dead solid reliable mechanically, which is why Toyota became Toyota.
I'm not denying that. I'm just stating that all makes have new car major mechanical failures at some point. This isn't isolated to Subaru. It all depends on whether those failures are counted in the 1 per 1,000 or 1 per 10,000.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.