Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post a new thread now that our random starting issue has been resolved. Well, fingers crossed.. Time will tell.

Here's my original post explaining the issue
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-outback-wont-start-dealer-not-much-help.html

After pushing the start button, the dials would light up but engine did nothing. Totally random.

Its happened again on 3 different instances and I posted a video

I got the rep from Subaru of American back on the phone that was handling my existing case. She reached out to another dealership in the area and the service manager agreed to do whatever was necessary to find the root cause.

They had the OB for almost 2 weeks and they were not able to duplicate the issue so they submitted an incident/case with Subaru's national tech line. Another technician was dispatched on site to look into the problem. This guy was certified in the keyless starting system which was new technology for the 2013 models.

He removed and bench tested the push button module and tested the ohm resistance over a few days. A majority of the time it should show the correct numbers but at times it would spike and the resistance would be off the charts.

A new module arrived and they ran it through the same testing sequence. This one showed steady resistance on every test.

Hats off to Gerald Subaru of Aurora, IL and to Subaru of America for their excellent customer service. The service manager was very professional and did an outstanding job staying in touch with me along the way.

This was definitely a nasty issue to have to deal with, especially with our harsh Chicago winters.
Our faith has been restored in Subaru and our new Outback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2013 Outback with SAP - having same issue!

I am reaching out to you because we are having the same problem with our 2013 Outback that you described in your 2/2013 post. We are trying to gain traction with Subaru of America and our local dealership (Capitaland Subaru in Glenville, NY) in order to resolve the issue.
I contacted the service manager at Gerald Subaru in North Aurora, IL yesterday, after seeing them mentioned in your post. They remembered you, and he was very helpful by looking up the issue in their system. He said he would gladly share the case number with our local dealer so they can research it in the national database. However, our local dealer can't do anything without something being initiated by Subaru of America.
Since your last post, how has your car been running? I read that you had the button assembly replaced in February. Has there been any recurrence of the issue since then? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated!:1zhelp:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem!

Just signed up so I can post here. My husband found this post when I asked him to Google the problem I've been having. The car hasn't done this to him yet, and I think he didn't quite understand what was happening and was suspecting user error.

Thank you for posting about this -- I am calling the dealer this morning after 3-4 times with the car refusing to start in the last week. After a few minutes it has always started, but it's very frustrating when it's 105+ degrees outside and I'm waiting in my hot car to get it to start.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
I have had the issue a few times on my '13 SAP. In my case, it was because the steering wheel lock had pressure on it. As soon as I manually removed the pressure from the steering wheel lock by slightly rotating the steering wheel away from the pressure and pressed the button, it started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts