Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
I would like to think that a dealership possesses the tools necessary to complete this job, but I may be wrong. I recall seeing the thread you mentioned about the dealer not being able to do the job, . . .
Hope it works. Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I received the BIU I purchased today. Swapped it into my car and the rear dome light switched off perfectly when set to door. Still waiting on the ICs I purchased to repair the existing BIU, but I really only wanted to see if the problem was solely on the BIU, which I determined was. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's crazy, stupid, or both. Would I be able to run 2 BIUs in the car at the same time? i.e. keep the original BIU and only use the second BIU for the interior lights harness? I tried plugging only the harness with the lights into the new BIU while keeping the other 3 in the old BIU, but it didn't seem to work.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Glad to hear the lights are working; that's the proof!

I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's crazy, stupid, or both. Would I be able to run 2 BIUs in the car at the same time? i.e. keep the original BIU and only use the second BIU for the interior lights harness?
I think not likely. The interior lighting system is also linked to other functions within the BIU; e.g., the door pillar switches that are connected to the BIU to turn on the interior lights, are also used by the security system to detect when a door is opened while the alarm is armed. They are also used for the "key-in" warning (if the driver door is opened when the key is in the ignition). There might be more interconnections that would preclude that idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
They are also used for the "key-in" warning (if the driver door is opened when the key is in the ignition). There might be more interconnections that would preclude that idea.
That makes sense, as when I attempted the split connection between the 2, the door chiming stopped, then resumed when I plugged everything back into the original BIU. Well, I guess all I can do now is wait for my ICs to come in. If that doesn't fix it, I'm willing to live with it. I called my local dealership, and they wanted $130 to see if they could even do the job (which means that I could pay $130 for them to tell me "sorry, there's nothing we can do"). Now I know why so many people laugh in the face of the dealerships, lol.

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Certainly hoping the old ICs will come off, the board can be cleaned up, the new ones installed, and it works. That would a great outcome, and, a precedent for others; there's another thread here as of yesterday -- ceiling and puddle lamps stay on ( Puddle Lights Always On ). Could be a similar problem in a related circuit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My ICs came in yesterday. Sure enough, desoldering the damaged chip and soldering on a new chip fixed the issue! I now have a rear dome light that turns off when the doors close. I will attach some before and after pictures of my janky solder job. Getting the old chip off was a bit tough, as I seem to have left some of the contact pad behind on the bad chip, but the new solder connection seems solid. Not sure if this will help anyone else in the future, but if you have an interior light that is staying on and can't figure out why, check the BIU and look for anything fishy there. Thanks Plain OM for all of your help. I likely wouldn't have figured this out without you.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Sure enough, desoldering the damaged chip and soldering on a new chip fixed the issue!
Good work. Confirmation it can be done. Saved the BIU and not having to reprogram etc. Did you post the type of IC and the source? If not, perhaps add it here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Sure. I just searched "K3377" on eBay and bought the cheapest option, which was a 10 pack for around $3. Shipping was slow, but that's because the package was shipping from China. This was a relatively easy and cost-effective repair, and I have comfort in knowing that the job was done right.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
843 Posts
Well done....

Reactions: SoobTube
41 - 49 of 49 Posts