Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i pkg #11 (Premium with no Eyesight)
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 Outback for my wife to drive. Sometimes I drive it and I like it so much I might buy another one for myself. I drove it 400 miles home from the dealership and kept thinking to myself "I really like driving this car". Am I nuts? Does Subaru have some "magic pixie dust" that they sprinkle in Outbacks to get people hooked?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
I bought a 2018 Outback for my wife to drive. Sometimes I drive it and I like it so much I might buy another one for myself. I drove it 400 miles home from the dealership and kept thinking to myself "I really like driving this car". Am I nuts? Does Subaru have some "magic pixie dust" that they sprinkle in Outbacks to get people hooked?
You're doomed!

Might as well do the financial applications now and get pre-approved!

The head unit may help you moderate things...

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts
subaru = ...just like the colonel with his wee beadie eyes.

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
458 Posts
Go test drive the 3.6 Touring >:) we currently own three Subies it's an addiction.:10:

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Depends if you are a real "car" guy or not. The pixie dust washes off after a bit when you come to realize what a boring car it is to drive. Don't get me wrong, great car but just not much fun to drive. Mine will be going up the road as soon as I decide what I want next.

My wife on the other hand is on her second Forester and is still covered in pixie dust.

Everyone is a bit different.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 4
22 Posts
I find driving the Outback very relaxing. Especially with the adaptive cruise control. I like that it is boring. For fun, I have a turbocharged Miata.

So. Wife loves the Outback for everyday driving. I like it for trips and to go up the gravel, mountain road to Mom's house, and I get my driving enjoyment from my other car.

I don't think you're nuts.

However, I would consider the 2nd Subie be another model. My Brother-in-law and sister have a 2015 Outback and a 2018 Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
Maybe you could take her along shopping for your Subaru, and she'll like what you buy. Then offer to swap, as if it was her idea all along and you're just being a nice guy.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
SVX = the finest car ever....
Unfortunately, in 6 years of production, only about 14k US buyers thought the same thing.....

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
90 Posts
I don't think you're nuts.

However, I would consider the 2nd Subie be another model. My Brother-in-law and sister have a 2015 Outback and a 2018 Crosstrek.
We have a 2015 Crosstrek and a 2018 3.6 OB Touring. Happy with that combination!

I'm tempted to exchange the Crosstrek for a 2018, but ours is TOP - Tangerine Orange Pearl, and I still love the color that's no longer available.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Am I nuts? Does Subaru have some "magic pixie dust" that they sprinkle in Outbacks to get people hooked?
It's called marketing and brand affiliation. Kind of like Nascar 15 years ago. Once those good looking country boys started playing to the camera ... everybody wanted a piece.

Then you slide behind the wheel of this butch, plastic clad wagon on stilts. You feel SUV proud and invincible. Ok, now this is tarting to sound like the WWF heyday of 20 years ago.

Pixie dust, not likely. Just following the current is what comes to mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I haven't seen a reason not to have two Outbacks, so I may go for it. My 10-year-old son pointed out to me that having two 2018 Outbacks in different colors is better than say, having two DIFFERENT models in the same color. Good logic!

·
Registered
225 Posts
here's what i'd do and i thought very hard about this since my wife 2015 limited is just so awesome

mix it up

she----outback

me--forester xt

its a pocket rocket 0-60-------6.4 secs and handles great

forester xt is a blast to drive

of course i'd wave to you all as i blast past you :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here's what i'd do and i thought very hard about this since my wife 2015 limited is just so awesome

mix it up

she----outback

me--forester xt

its a pocket rocket 0-60-------6.4 secs and handles great

forester xt is a blast to drive

of course i'd wave to you all as i blast past you :)
I'd go for the Forester XT as well, if it had better crash scores. Maybe the next gen will.
See: IIHS small overlap front - passenger side

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
458 Posts
If you do your own maintenance it's nice to have vehicles that use the same cabin, engine & oil filters which you can buy in bulk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're not nuts! My wife has a 2017 Volvo XC60 R-Design (turbo charged & super charged with 300+ hp) and she actually prefers driving my 2017 OB 3.6R Limited (as do I for that matter).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
You're not nuts! My wife has a 2017 Volvo XC60 R-Design (turbo charged & super charged with 300+ hp) and she actually prefers driving my 2017 OB 3.6R Limited (as do I for that matter).
If you haven't done so already, upgrade the OB's 16mm rear sway bar (RSB) to the 19mm or 20mm version, and your enjoyment of the OB will go up another notch. It's an easy DIY job, well documented in several threads here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts