Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all ... having issues with my 2001 sub outback. When I shift into first gear and I'm taking my foot off the clutch and accelerating I hear a low scraping/grinding noise. The noise stops after second gear. Ok so the noise does not occur if I keep the rpms low when shifting from first to second gear. So basically if I'm at stop sign I'm literally crawling until I shift to 3rd gear...at times I have to put my hazard lights on because the vehicles behind me are coming up so fast and I'm just not starting out fast enough...please help thank you

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
miles on this?

is it a big legacy outback, or a little impreza outback sport?

any clutch work done to it before?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
and I'm just not starting out fast enough...please help thank you
sounds like it needs a clutch job.

ideally you tell us if the noise is central, left right, cabin, engine, trunk...give us the best clear description you can.

scraping can be lots of things - more than likely it's related to your current, apparent, need for a clutch. heat shields can also vibrate at somewhat specific times and is very common.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just to clarify, the car won't accelerate in 1st or 2nd gear? Or you just driving slow to avoid the noise?

If it won't accelerate, do the RPM's go up anyway?

Could also be a broken CV axle...but symptoms don't quite match up.

There's a way to test the clutch by putting the front bumper against a (very) solid wall (think concrete), putting it in 5th, let out the clutch and see what happens....but PLEASE research that as it's been a (long) while since I read it.

GL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts