Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Quick question. 5 monthes ago a mechanic put new head gaskets, radiator, timeing belt, etc on my 1996 Subaru legacy Outback 2.5L (155,000 miles).
Shorly after there was a slight knocking sound at start up. Mechanic said dont worry about it.
5 days ago a LOUD knock occurd while driving and lost power. Mechanic says "somthing internal came apart" likely a rod.
My question is....Could this have somthing to do with the head gasket replacement? The mechanic says he takes the engine completly out of the car when he does a gasket job. Should I hold the mechanic responsible? When I took the car in for the knock earlier he dismissed it.

If this is the case, is it worth putting a new (used) engine in the car? if so how much should I pay for that and do you know a good source?
THANKS

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
What happened to the car before the HG job - why did you have the HG job done?

This is common to see when people over heat the engine multiple times or really fry it before they address a failed HG. They have the HG redone only to see engine failure due to damage caused by running the car with a failed HG and over heating it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car did overheating before the head gasket replacement. but never for very long only about 90 secs of at a time and only JUST before going into get the HG done.
Could replacing the timeing belt have anything to do with it?
I really not trying to point fingers and be a jerk customer. Im honestly just curious. and it just seems like an unreal coincidence.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
The car did overheating before the head gasket replacement. but never for very long only about 90 secs of at a time and only JUST before going into get the HG done.
Could replacing the timeing belt have anything to do with it?
I really not trying to point fingers and be a jerk customer. Im honestly just curious. and it just seems like an unreal coincidence.
Nope even just one over heat can damage internal parts that let go soon after the cause of the over heat is fixed.

With the HG issue you want to replace the HG when the leak is detected or keep a very very very close eye on the fluids knowing that your driving range is very limited and that fluid checks are nearly needed after every time the vehicle is driven.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
For many years now you have engines with different types of metals in them. They respond to heat in different ways. One reason for many years that Head Gasket failures were common was due to Aluminum heads and cast iron blocks. Heat up the engine too hot and the aluminum and cast iron expand in different ways which helped the already stressed gasket due to heat fail.

Connecting rods have bearings in them they are made of different metals - heat them up and add lots of miles possibly a few extra long oil change intervals and the parts may not tolerate much heat at all before they fail due to wear thats already there etc.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,819 Posts
cooks the oil causing loss of proper lubrication. It loses it's viscosity and allows metal-on-metal friction. the 30 or 40 part of 10w-30, 10W40 assumes an operating temp of about 220 degrees or so. Viscosity will drop as temps go up, then you get more friction, then higher temps and somewhere, you lose the tiny film of lubrication completely, then metal tries to weld itself together. It also can lead to localized heating of some parts that are VASTLY hotter than steaming coolant might lead you to believe, like exhaust valves. Fuel can start detonating early/preignition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do you guys think about replacing the engine? is it worth it? what kinda sucess rate am I looking at? OR should I cut my losses scrap the car and look for a new (used) car?

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
Your mechanic should make good on any work he has done. I have a H6 with 170k mi and the original head gaskets. Did a compression check not too long ago and it was 10.6:1. I don't "baby" it, been a few places that caused my 9.5 in. high bumpers to get scratched and dinged but it receives regular maintenance. Your choice, but I would start there.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
About the only thing the mechanic that did the HG job could have done is run the motor without oil. This is unlikely. It is much more likely that overheating the motor before the HG repair damaged a rod bearing, and it has been on its way south ever since. Find a good used motor, if the rest of the car is in good shape. If it is not, part it out.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
who is at fault, if any one, all depends on what happened.
did it spin a rod bearing?
did the timing belt fail?

a replacement ej22, 2.2L engine is probably your best bet.
you can get good used engines for $400 - 600$.
redo the timing belt, all idlers, water pump, tensioner (depending on year), plugs, wires, fluids, and replace the oil separator plate on the rear of the block before you install it (~$250 in parts). and have the shop install it ($400 - $600). for about $1200 ($1000 - $1500) you are back on the road with a very, very reliable engine, that does not usually have head gasket issues, that will take a lot of abuse, and run over 300k miles if you keep oil in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts