Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to browse through the songs in my iPod via my 2013 stock touchscreen, the songs aren't in any particular order.

You'd think they would be in alphabetical order, but no.

I had read someplace (not an Outback forum), that MP3 players show songs in the order they were added to the device, and that's what it looks like is happening here.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or have had a similar problem?

Here are the details:
2013 Outback with SAP
iPod Classic

I looked around for another thread that might answer this question, but I didn't find one. I'm sorry if I didn't look hard enough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
on my 2010 they are listed by track number order. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing. I have an ipod classic as well, but have the HK NAV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This answer is a bit late as I've only just had the same problem with playing mp3 files from a usb stick.

Mp3 players, including mp3 enabled car radios apparently, don't order the files, they just see them in the order they were added to the device. The fix is easy.

There are a lot of small free utilities out there that will sort the files for you after the device is loaded. I downloaded one called mp3DirSorterE.exe and it works fine. All you have to do is plug the device into the computer and open it in explorer, run the utility, drag the directory you want sorted to the utility window, and it's done in seconds.

My problem was with almost a hundred podcast files. If I wanted to go to a particular podcast I had to slowly click through every one until I found it. Now it's easy.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I dont understand - though maybe the Limited screen/ipod interface differs? Mine is using an ipod classic and it shows songs in alphabetical order, or artists, or albums. see photos I attached.
MY BIG QUESTION..... is when the ipod is playing, HOW DO U STOP IT???
what am I missing that I cant find a pause or stop button for the ipod control, and you cant use the ipod cause its hooked up to the touch screen.
below you will see the main screen for when you are playing a song (where do I STOP the song?!?!?)
and then you will see the complete ipod song listing in alphabetical order
to address the OP's issue. Is the Limited a different touch screen ipod interface than the one you are using?

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
Just thought of this.......
I DO remember using an ipod interface on a rental car I had this year and the songs were in a weird order and after a while I figured out what it was doing - the folder and song order correlated with the folder structure of the actual drive in the ipod. If you look at an ipod with a program that can really dissect the data structure, you will find all the songs live randomly in a bunch of folders that have long weird names like this: "ddjhrke3h43js87s6td8797cs78s7s8"
Under each folder - you will find your actual song files - and they pertain to songs in NO order that makes any sense to your actual song listings in itunes.
But the ipod interface was reading those folders - just one after another - and the songs contained in them - which had nothing to do with the order structure using the metadata on each file for the actual song info - so the ipod interface is likely reading your ipod like this - though I dont know why - my head unit reads them like the ipod interface reads them.

Perhaps the head unit isnt recognizing the player correctly so its just reading it as any random usb drive of folders and files??

·
Registered
129 Posts
This has been driving me nuts, as I listen to a lot of live music & everything is out of order. You'd think they'd have figured this one out from the get go or by now~!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
FaceOnMars
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing