Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced discomfort from the armrest on the door? My elbow is getting sore from the hard plastic rim on the front edge of the armrest padding. To get relief, I have to remember to shift my arm backwards into an unnatural position. Anyone out there experience this and have any tips, perhaps an additional pad for long trips?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
Someone...somewhere on this forum did a DYI repadding of the center arm rest. Added a couple of inches of foam and covered it very nicely...a search on this forum may find it...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Someone...somewhere on this forum did a DYI repadding of the center arm rest. Added a couple of inches of foam and covered it very nicely...a search on this forum may find it...
OP is asking about the door armrest.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OP is asking about the door armrest.
Yes, thank you. The center armrest is great, actually! (In ny WRX, I did cover my center armrest in leather and added padding)

Aoeifa, that's not a bad idea for a long trip.

Upflying, what is that and where could I get one? Putting my elbow up on top of the door would be quite uncomfortable (especially in the winter), but it could work on the arm rest.

I'm not the only one who has had this problem, though, right?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
if the Armsaver could be installed on the armrest, it would probably be good. However, the position on top of the door is not good for the shoulder as demonstrated in the video. With the shoulder abducted to 90 degrees, and the forearm dropping down, it causes some internal rotation in the shoulder joint. (Abduction is lifting the arm out to the side of the body, and internal rotation is rolling it inward). When you combine those two in the 90 degree position, you close down the joint space. This pressure on the shoulder tendons for long periods, especially combined with vibration could wreak havoc on shoulder tendons. Think rotator cuff tendonitis, bicep tendonitis and bursitis.

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
A small pillow tucked in beside you could work also. You can adjust it to move your elbow forward or back from time to time. If you go with the Armsaver, just be sure you keep your wrist positioned higher than your elbow. This would be easier for the driver than the passenger since they wouldn't have a good place to rest their hand.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
One of my biggest complaints about all cars right now, it's not limited to Subaru.
Hard plastic on top of the door. Really pi$$es me off.
I guess if I was 5'2" it wouldn't matter but the top of the door is a vital door rest for me and it kills my elbow.

:soapbox:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts