Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed some sound coming from my front speakers when I opened the passenger door and bent down to straighten the floor mat. I was just getting something from the car that has just been sitting in the garage since yesterday afternoon. The car was off, I did not have the fob with me. It sounds like the amplifier is on. I did also notice a blue light on what appears to be an amp under the passenger seat. I had the Rockford Fosgate upgrade installed in late Jan. Has anyone else noticed sound from the speakers when the car is off?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
984 Posts
I don't have that system but can tell you that you should not be getting ANY sound from ANY speaker once the system is turned off. Sounds like an impropper install to me. Bring it back.

(My guess is that the new RF amp is wired to be constantly on.?)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,037 Posts
I don't have that system but can tell you that you should not be getting ANY sound from ANY speaker once the system is turned off. Sounds like an impropper install to me. Bring it back.

(My guess is that the new RF amp is wired to be constantly on.?)
The audio system does run about 30 seconds after total shut off in my car, also, I discovered the red light where the driver monitor is, will come on occasionally while sitting in the car WAY after its totally shut off and nothing has been used - weirder still - this occurred even though I always have the driver monitor shut off (of course it DOES reset to on when restarting the car most of the time)

The car definitely does more "things" in the "off" position than any other car I have ever had, even way after shutting the car down.

Maybe upon opening the door some minor things around the auto (including the amp, which is more than just a simple amp) boot up , to quicken everything being "on" and ready when starting the car? Just guessing.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The car definitely does more "things" in the "off" position than any other car I have ever had, even way after shutting the car down.
I agree! The car seems posessed at times. There always seems to be odd things starting and stopping when the car is at rest. I can still remember coming out into the garage one night and hearing a buzzing sound coming from the rear end. I immediatly thought the fuel pump must be stuck on! After a quick net search, I found these cars run fuel system checks occasionally after a 3 hr rest.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,510 Posts
I agree! The car seems posessed at times. There always seems to be odd things starting and stopping when the car is at rest. I can still remember coming out into the garage one night and hearing a buzzing sound coming from the rear end. I immediatly thought the fuel pump must be stuck on! After a quick net search, I found these cars run fuel system checks occasionally after a 3 hr rest.
Hearing that same noise was how I happened upon this site in the first place.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I had driven up to the top of the local mountains one night late, pulled over and parked. Nothing around. I had shut the car off, and was just enjoying the quiet up there (its noisy where I live, all hours) - windows down. After about 20 minutes, the red light for the driver monitor came on, in its semi blinky looking fashion. I was really curious why that was. Car had been off for a while. I hate that thing. I am close to putting black tape over it. lol.
off topic, but speaking of black tape, I dont know if anyone remembers my complaints about the side mirror door lights being too bright and glaring too high, bugging my wife and I both when we get in and out of the car. I put these over the lights on the mirror and it worked like a charm to dim them, and Ive washed the car and these things havent budged.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That's a wonderful find - can think of a lot of uses for those. I was considering spending the 200 bucks to get the illuminated side mirrors for my Onyx so thanks for alerting us to the glare issue.

I had posted about it way early on in Nov after I got my car, having had the door/puddle lights on previous outbacks. I will say though, that many disagreed with me that they dont glare too much, but to me and my wife both, they do, at night when you are getting in and out of the car. I played with the mirror position but the mirror position I like to have while driving, means there is too much glare from this light when you are seated, getting in and out. They just point too high and I dont like ANY glaring lights in my eyes at night.
But some here def weren't bothered like I was so dont let my word be the end word.

These little dots worked great though. The light is still there a bit, just not so bright. I also put these on a lot of stuff in the house - like in our living room - the AV center, the cable modem, etc, sometimes people sleep out there in our pull out sofa and theres a lot of little LED lights on various equipment. These things mute the lights a lot, and if you want it more muted, you can just double them up.

edit: sorry guys - Im the worst at keeping on topic. I would argue I truly am the worst here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
edit: sorry guys - Im the worst at keeping on topic. I would argue I truly am the worst here. :rolleyes:
Sounds good to me! I'm the one at fault for derailing the conversation. So to get us back on track:

I have an Onyx without the Rockford Fosgate. I just went to my car with the fob in my pocket, opened the passenger door and lo and behold I swear I hear hissing coming from the front door speaker when I bend down and put my ear to it.

There's also the sound of a small whirr beneath the dash, as if a small fan is running. I entered the car and closed the passenger door. I couldn't bend down enough to hear the hiss from the door speaker. The whirr behind the dash shut off. I got out and bent down to listen to the passenger door speaker and I swear it's hissing. Aside from not having the RF optional upgrade, I did change my front speakers but they're purely passive and should not be in any way contributing to electrical noise. They do have tweeters however, and that could make any hiss more prominent than someone with the stock door speakers. I tried to listen for a hiss from the dash tweeters and could not hear it there.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I will try this tonight on my Touring when its quieter outside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

I went back to the car without the key fob half an hour later and I can't hear any hissing from the front door speakers.
I heard the noise without the fob in my pocket. I also was able to hear it when I had the doors closed. Not easy to get your ear close to the speaker with door closed. Not easy to get out of said position either:). Thanks for checking your Outbacks. This just doesn't seem normal.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I heard the noise without the fob in my pocket. I also was able to hear it when I had the doors closed. Not easy to get your ear close to the speaker with door closed. Not easy to get out of said position either:). Thanks for checking your Outbacks. This just doesn't seem normal.
The last thing I would try before calling the installer would be to leave the car doors open for an hour or so, then go back and listen without the fob This will tell you if it truely is "constant on" since your not disturbing/changing anything prior to listening.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I forgot to check mine last night. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Off topic but oddly electrical stuff seems to fit. I have 2016 Premium and just noticed that if I happen to not release window switch after window fully closes the electrical load almost causes car to die. Sign of weakening battery or a short, which worries me more?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
4 Posts
Today I noticed some sound coming from my front speakers when I opened the passenger door and bent down to straighten the floor mat. I was just getting something from the car that has just been sitting in the garage since yesterday afternoon. The car was off, I did not have the fob with me. It sounds like the amplifier is on. I did also notice a blue light on what appears to be an amp under the passenger seat. I had the Rockford Fosgate upgrade installed in late Jan. Has anyone else noticed sound from the speakers when the car is off?
We experience a similar issue with our 2018 OB Touring. It could get much louder & pop loudly. It is a known issue in some Harmon Kardon amps that develop an internal electrical short. Ours caused battery drain as well. There is a service bulletin and covered by warranty, if that is your issue. .

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
Off topic but oddly electrical stuff seems to fit. I have 2016 Premium and just noticed that if I happen to not release window switch after window fully closes the electrical load almost causes car to die. Sign of weakening battery or a short, which worries me more?
If the car is running, probably the alternator. But more importantly, that's a great way to burn out the window motor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts