Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Subaru started making a noise today. Whenever I accelerate from a stop or accelerate to go up a hill my car makes a sound like the muffler is bad. I don't think it is. I have noticed that the car has lurched a few times lately when it was switching gears.
Could the noise be related to the lurching? Could this be a transmission problem?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Lea

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Firstly, welcome! I take it your car has auto transmission? I think you can rule out the muffler by reving the car up a bit while stationary with the car in Park. That would be a first step at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is automatic. I don't really think it is the muffler either, but the sound reminds me of a car with a bad muffler.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
yah, gotta watch that Brian, he may have snuck in there under cover of darkness and installed a CAI on it....:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies.
I listened to it again on the way to work today. The sound is like a loud hum that happens when I press on the accelerator for gas to turn, go up a hill, go from a stop, etc.

I don't know anything about the plastic. I am taking the car by a garage today. Someone there is going to ride with me to listen for the noise.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I mentioned the plastic because that whole strange-looking assembly (with dead-end passages) is made to dampen the sound that comes through the throttle body when the butterfly valve opens.

*skeptical old-timer voice* Yeah, what you got there is yer Helmholtz resonator

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news!!!
The problem was actually due to the negligence of the garage yesterday. I had the oil changed and the air filter checked yesterday afternoon. The mechanic had not put the air filter back on securely. They told me it was sucking air and making the air.
They fixed it and no noise on the way home.

Thanks for all of your help.
lea

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
yow. hope you didn't run into any dust storms like we had here last night...grit between my teeth, woulda chewed up rings fast if entering engine unfiltered.

(get soapbox) this is good example of why i highly recommend that anyone who likes their car and plans to keep it take the course your local CC offers on "car repair for non car persons" or similar title...even if you just want to get in closer touch with it, but not so close that you get greezy. gee, that sounds very Santa Fe.... most people i've talked into this say it's among the best $40 they ever spent, even if just for stress reduction when mech problems or strange noises crop up on a trip. or Out in the Back.... just a suggestion. not that people here aren't happy to assist with any Qs.

Liz, you RULE! i don't care WHAT Rodan says about you....:D :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen to me before. What was wrong with mine though is that i messed with the air filter and put it in upside down, It makes the car much louder, but each side looks Identical.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
NorthStar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing