Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
check this vid out i thought this song sounded excellent when i played it in the outback today. This does have the upgraded sound System with the sub under the seat and the extra tweeters

2001 Subaru Outback sound system test - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
That's funny, I was just listening to Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre. That sounds pretty clear. TBH, I am impressed with how the stock system sounds in these cars, and I just have the basic system. My wife's bugeye came with the upgraded system with the tweeters in the door.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i was considering to do Still dre or The One And Only but The One And Only that one came out a lot more clear.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Still Dre would have been a great song for this test. I am gonna have to go rock this out.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I like my 2000 sound system as well. I'm glad the previous owner got the upgrade with the tweeters near the mirrors (which I think I saw on yours) and the subwoofer. When I crank that mo-fo up I have trouble seeing out my rear view mirror because it is jumping and vibrating so much. LOL

I notice you are using the cassette adapter for your phone connection. I use the same thing for my aftermarket XM and iPhone jamz.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats how that one is too it was hard to record it since i had the galaxy plugged in and the ipod dident have the song on it so i had to use the ipad to record its hard to use that since its so big

·
Registered
03 Baja Yellow 5MT 235k miles & 09 Outback 2.5i Quartz Silver 5MT 105k miles
88 Posts
I got the upgraded factory speakers with a basic 45watt x4 sony headunit and some tweeters from radio shack and it sounds pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice Nice my Legacy has the Herman Kardon Sub line split to go to two more subs in the the trunk for a total of 3 subs

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,225 Posts
lolol.
Im sorry - but that video -
Its a "sound test" using a CAR stereo, being recorded with some sort of video camera, and then presented to us through a youtube video (and to top it off - played on my tiny laptop speakers). hahahaha

To a sound engineer like me - that's hilarious!!

All three of those things in the chain are pretty much a way to potentially NOT expect great sound.

THAT said - I get it.
But any number of variables in that chain can be making it sound better or worse than the actual car sounds. lol

Anyway - it IS still true though that that version of the outback had some good sound. My 03, as Ive said here many times - with the 9 speaker "limited" trim premium stereo system sounded AMAZING for a car. The CD player sucked and I changed it out for an after market - but that car sounded VERY good. Better than any of my other 4 cars - and still WAY better than my current 2013 Limited SAP package "premium" sound system.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Please dont take offense Papaginos, my comments are nothing against you.
I get what you are trying to show.

You know I worked with Dr Dre and Snoop back in the late 90s in recording studios. Considering what all those guys drove (monster sized SUVs with ridiculous sound systems)- it would have been fun to show him the sound of his songs in my Outback (but I didnt have it then of course)

cheers

by the way that car looks great!!

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont take offense since i do think the recording sucked since the ipad is way to hard to take vids with since its size and it acted like it was zoomed in the entire time thats why i hard a hard time getting my phone to show up in the shot im thinking redoing that latter since i know i can do better with it.
also thanks for saying it looks great that sub has been in the family and been taking "good" care of when it was in mass when my uncle owned it.. is were lots of its dings cam from but when my grandparents owned it was constantly in showroom condition since they were proud to own it and the interior hasn't aged a bit as you could see.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
i dont take offense since i do think the recording sucked since the ipad is way to hard to take vids with since its size and it acted like it was zoomed in the entire time thats why i hard a hard time getting my phone to show up in the shot im thinking redoing that latter since i know i can do better with it.
also thanks for saying it looks great that sub has been in the family and been taking "good" care of when it was in mass when my uncle owned it.. is were lots of its dings cam from but when my grandparents owned it was constantly in showroom condition since they were proud to own it and the interior hasn't aged a bit as you could see.
i re-read my post and it sounded harsh - didnt mean it to. Its just funny - cause we are always thinking of sound quality and what is the weakest link in any chain - in yours - that would be the youtube audio compression by far. ;)

The car does look great - I thought my 03 looked great for its mileage (240,000) when I traded it in and yours looks a lot way better and its older!

I still wonder if I should have kept mine. It was pretty dead but I really loved that car. Traded it in for 1000 - major engine trouble - and had JUST had the engine replaced - and 240,000 miles. Still torn about trading it for that.

I like the new one - but I was very attached to that "version" of the OB (same as yours). Yours is great. How many miles?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mines kinda on its last leg we might get rid of it if you read my other post "mysterious yellow fluid" you can see what i mean the car has a replaced engine that has 10,000 less then what the odometer says and sadly after all that work and many other things after that it still is having problems. I think the new Engine is having a hard time adjusting to parts with more miles then it. We thought ours would last for ever my other uncle had and 1998 Forster pushing 300,000 till a MacTruck wrecked it.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
mines kinda on its last leg we might get rid of it if you read my other post "mysterious yellow fluid" you can see what i mean the car has a replaced engine that has 10,000 less then what the odometer says and sadly after all that work and many other things after that it still is having problems. I think the new Engine is having a hard time adjusting to parts with more miles then it. We thought ours would last for ever my other uncle had and 1998 Forster pushing 300,000 till a MacTruck wrecked it.

Well AFTER replacing my engine - and then having nothing but more problems - all sort of people said that engine replacements are typically not really worth the money - unless you can do it yourself for cheap.

I replaced mine as it died last summer - then 5 weeks later - THAT engine had a major problem - and then the 2ND one did as well.
Needless to say - I spent too much money only to trade the car in 5 months later. ;)

Whatever happens - the car probably sounds great! haha

·
Registered
2009 Legacy SE
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got mine done by a friend who worked at a school were the kids do the work on the car so all i did was pay for the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts