Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my solution to the speakers rattling the doors in my 2008. I read that this stuff was very similar to Dynamat, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've only done the front doors so far. I'm definitely going to try to do this on the hatch since I think the weight of this stuff might eliminate the tiny bit of rattling back there. Probably will do the back doors too.

What you need for the doors:
  • One roll QuickRoof (handles both doors)
  • Flat and Phillips Screwdrivers
  • Utility Knife
  • A Sharpie (helpful for drawing the notches you need to cut out)
  • Heat Gun or Hairdryer (on a warm enough day you're probably fine without)
  • Patience!

1) Take the door panel off. There are instructions from the FSM somewhere on the forum, but basically you just need to pry out the cover behind the release lever and take out the screw behind it, then pry out the cover of the handgrip and remove the two screws hidden behind it (vertical piece that you would grab to close the door--pry it out from the top). After that it's just clips. Then unplug the courtesy light, window controls, etc. and set the door aside. I left the cables attached. There's enough room to work (plus I was afraid if I detached them I'd never get them back on again!).

2) Cut out all of the plastic in the door. The goop that held it on is actually a little helpful to allow the QuickRoof material to adhere around the edges.

3) Take out the speaker. You'll want to apply the Quickroof behind where it would mount. I curved it around the opening to the hole for it since you obviously can't cover the hole if you plan on putting the speaker back in.

3) Apply Quickroof. I tried to cut the largest sections possible, then I would cut out notches where necessary to work around the stuff attached to the door. A hairdryer helped me here since the extra heat made the stuff flexible enough to work around the contours of the door. I did two layers in most places. You'll have to leave a slot for the cables for the door latch to get through, but I think I covered all other major holes. Keep in mind you'll need to leave the holes for the clips open! I covered them and remembered where they were, then used a drill to open them back up.

This is part way through the driver's door. When finished (didn't think to take a picture then) all holes were covered and I had another layer over the seams so basically the entire door had two layers.

Overall, I'm pleased. I don't notice a huge difference in road noise, but there are no rattles whatsoever from the speaker now and it helped bass response considerably. The doors also feel more substantial and shut with an even nicer "thud" than before. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, like a "recently shot pheasant hitting the ground."

Attachments

·
Registered
'08 OBXT MT5
121 Posts
soundproofing an '08

I did a similar effort with my '08 OBXT. There were no rattles, but the road noise was annoying on some stretches of coarse chip-seal at highway speeds. I used one of the Dynamat-wannabe materials (can't remember the name, maybe FatMat) on both front and rear doors. Results were similar to yours: doors close with a more-solid "thud", perhaps a bit less road noise, though not a dramatic improvement, and somewhat better bass from the speakers. I treated both the outer door skins and the inners. If I could have figured an easy way to get at the rear quarter panels and fender liners I'd have done them as well, as I think residual noise is coming from the rear wheels into the "trunk" area of the wagon (hypothesis supported by the fact that road noise is slightly reduced when the back is full of soft luggage).

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only rattles (well, I guess they're more like buzzes or vibrations) I got in the doors were from the speakers. Very annoying! I might add a tiny bit more to the driver's door since it still has a slight rattle on rare occasions and I think I did end up using a bit less there than on the passenger's door.

I'm thinking about replacing the stock speakers, but my fear is that whatever I replace them with will be less efficient and the stock headunit won't power them very well. The front doors had (I think) 35 watt speakers in them. Not sure on the brand, but I'd guess they're Panasonics.

I also did this to the rear hatch and it eliminated the rattles that I got in cold weather. I think I'll definitely buy another roll and take care of the back doors, but I'm not sure how much I'll bother with beyond that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts