Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08OBXT STICK
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to service the brakes on my 08OBXT and would like to upgrade the components while doing so. Some components that I am interested in upgrading are SS brake lines, rotors, pads, and possibly calipers.

The suppliers, from looking over older posts, no longer seem to offer SS lines for this vehicle.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
I had buyer's remorse on my SS hoses - but they were installed very early after i bought the car so, they essentially replaced new rubber hoses that had no age or tendency to 'balloon'. I detected no difference after they were installed. perhaps they will last longer though.

the best upgrades on my wrx were stickier tires and StopTech Street performance pads, in that order. You can spend more money for pads, but the ST SP pads are an awesome value for their performance. higher MOT than Hawk. there's a huge thread at NASIOC on them, you could search that thread for other brands and see if anyone has switched/compared. Ferodo DS2500 are well respected pads but $$$

I would probably get Centric Premium rotors but, there are options there as well. Actually, OEM parts aren't bad - just pricey.

Some people say a master cylinder brace helps with the 'mushy' feeling - I have no experience with that.

there are many options for upgrading brakes, but much of the utility of doing that is lost if you don't run better tires.

nowadays, slotted and particularly drilled rotors are probably a waste of money except perhaps for a dedicated track vehicle. Modern pad compounds just don't outgas as much as in the past.

expect more brake dust with upgraded pads.

you might look around at http://www.knsbrakes.com/ and at www.boxer4racing.com for some ideas

·
Registered
08OBXT STICK
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that feedback on the SS lines; if the feeling improve not something largely noticeable I will hold off on them.
I just put on Michelin Sport Pilots and they seem very good.

It seems odd to me that the MC brace would make such as difference but I've also read positive reviews here. I may order one.

I do need to adress brake shudder while at highway speeds and worn pads.
There are many posts here reviewing brake pad and rotors. I'll probably order ST or Hawk for all four corners and replace the front rotors with solid ones.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,130 Posts
yeah, brakes and brake pads especially approach engine oil in the amount of 'contentious' discussions lol! and there are plenty of threads on that stuff.

probably should consider how old the fluid is too. flush and good bleed will help if the fluid is old. brake fluid is hygroscopic and it's boiling point becomes reduce over time. Valvoline synthetic is probably a good value but, again, you have more exotic and pricier options.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
If you want the SS lines for firming up the pedal I can save you time and money.

They will firm it up somewhat, but you can get a much better bang for the buck by installing a master cylinder brace on the firewall. I've done both mods on my XT and if I had to do it again I'd probably skip the lines.

Initial purchase cost is about the same for either, but the bracket is easier to install and doesn't require replacement & bleeding every 2-3 years as do SS lines.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i
1,148 Posts
You should be bleeding your brakes every 2-3 years anyways.

You will be amazed doing a COMPLETE brake fluid flushing will do. When I way complete, you need to flush the brakes until the dark fluid turns clear and then keep flushing until it turns dark and then clear again. The second small amount of dark fluid is the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir. Also, if you have access to a real vac bleeder (not one of the hand pumps) they will move the fluid fast enough to keep the bits of rust and garbage suspend and allow you to remove it.

Trust me, you will be amazed in pedal feel and crap you pulled out of the system.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
Bleeding every 2-3 is one thing. Replacing all the hoses and bleeding is substantially more expensive and time consuming.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
A popular upgrade for the XT is Legacy Calipers and Brackets. It's bolt up. I exluded that option because I bought 16" wheels and the larger Legacy calipers won't fit inside them. If you have stock wheels, it will work for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts