Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
580 Posts
Rear seats folded down, and the passenger seat reclined as far as possible I can say maybe.

Sent from my V35-ThinQ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
75 Posts
Is there a subaru that I can fit an 8 foot kayak in? Not on top, but inside?
I knew someone who fit her kayak inside a Prius. Front passenger and back seats were folded down and the kayak just fit-bow touching the passenger side windshield and stern the back glass of the hatchback. So, if there's a will, there's a way; I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fit one inside of the Outback. I don't know the length of her kayak but is there any shorter than 8 feet?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Is there a subaru that I can fit an 8 foot kayak in? Not on top, but inside?
No Subaru has 96" interior cargo depth. The Subaru Ascent is something like 86. If you fold the front seat forward maybe there's a slight chance you could squeeze it in but it's doubtful. Maybe if you removed the passenger seat entirely.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,635 Posts
Youl'' get just over 6' of near flat deck with the rear seat folded down. That's more than enough to slide a 8' boat in and lower/tied down the hatch on the few feet it hangs out. If you add a bed extender, you could go up to 15' for short trips. I've done this for years with various hatchbacks/vans. Only once with my 2020 OB to date. The downside is that the open hatch sucks in dust .

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
116 Posts
Be careful.
My brother put a kayak inside his 2005 Outback, because he didn't want to go home & get his crossbars. With the front passenger seatback rolled all the way back/down, he put the kayak in from the back. One point of the boat was on the passenger-side dashboard almost touching the windshield. The other was inside the hatch, and he carefully closed the hatch to check if it fit. I don't know offhand how long his kayak was, but it seemed to fit.
When he opened the rear hatch a couple inches, then close and latch the hatch, that took up the remaining space, and the boat busted his windshield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts