Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
You'll like the size - easy to store in the garage and still have lots of space etc. The metal body and composite cap is a nice combo to keep gear dry secure etc.

What are they asking for price?
Looks very similar to a lifetime trailer they sold a few years ago nearly identical actually. I wonder if its just rebranded life time trailer? They make good stuff!

·
Registered
557 Posts
i like it!

there is a thread somewhere on the board... i believe just generally asking about them, like your post.

i believe some believe price is the shortcoming of the trailer.

if you look at their facebook pics you'll see a ton of happy owners as well as those that rented the trailer.

i like the previous version of the lifetime trailer offered by costco... the price and features were great.

since that is no longer offerd i've been eyeing the space trailer.

let use know if you go this route!

joel

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pricing is a little steep...$2500. The Lifetime Tent Trailer is the same price roundabouts and includes a tent. My angle would be to "let" the Space Trailer folks include their phone number and web address on the trailer. I also spoke to the owner about making it available to people to look at in my area. Given that they don't sell via dealers they dont have the ability to let someone kick the tires. If I let another potential owner kick the tires of mine and they sell one because of it I would say thats worth something. I also saw this nicely restores Apache camper. Even if I just use it to put my dome tent bag in one of the compartments I think it might do the job. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/rvs/3380412084.html

·
Registered
847 Posts
That is a great size and it has some very nice features and options. I don't see much to complain about - one thing I look for is the ability to carry 4x8 sheets flat on the bed, and that can do it. There are a few things I can comment on....

What's with the weird shape of the lid? Not only is it strange looking, it intrudes into storage volume inside the box. It looks a little like an upside down bathtub.

Galvanized steel is good. Stainless fasteners are very good. But why do they use aluminum rivets? That is asking for dissimilar metal corrosion. I would ask them about this - do they use a sealant over the shanks when they install them?

Can you get electric brakes?

Other than being 75 pounds heavier, it is almost identical in dimensions to my aluminum trailer, which has proven to be VERY useful over the ten years I have owned it.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 1984 Coleman Versa Trailer---picked it up for $400.00 a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a great size and it has some very nice features and options. I don't see much to complain about - one thing I look for is the ability to carry 4x8 sheets flat on the bed, and that can do it. There are a few things I can comment on....

What's with the weird shape of the lid? Not only is it strange looking, it intrudes into storage volume inside the box. It looks a little like an upside down bathtub.

Galvanized steel is good. Stainless fasteners are very good. But why do they use aluminum rivets? That is asking for dissimilar metal corrosion. I would ask them about this - do they use a sealant over the shanks when they install them?

Can you get electric brakes?

Other than being 75 pounds heavier, it is almost identical in dimensions to my aluminum trailer, which has proven to be VERY useful over the ten years I have owned it.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
John - I cannot read the brand on your aluminum Trailer. Can you provide details. It looks like one of the Austrailian brands. Nice rig

·
Registered
42 Posts
i picked up one this summer... and i've used it most every weekend (ww kayaking, flatwater kayaking, camping with boy scouts, hauling in riding mower for service, taking yard waste to dump, home project, mountain biking, support for a 3 day road bike ride, etc).
been VERY happy with it. it is a bit pricey but it's well sorted out, and i like gear that's ready to go, no hassles.

send me a note if you want specific info...

(not associated with them, but happy customer)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Custom usually = salty. Do you care to share pricing?
LOL If you have to ask, you can't afford it. The base trailer was US$3000 - I supplied the three BFG AT tires to the builder. I have since spent lots more on mods and add-ons, and I really don't want to know the total of the $$$ and my many hours of labor.

Let's just call it a whole lot.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Not to mention a trailer like John's is a whole different level of being as self sufficient as possible in very rough conditions. "Note the spare spring - I would also bet he has a spare hub with bearings ready to go incase he looses a wheel bearing". All very good things to have if you cover lots of miles with a trailer.

I had a spare hub and bearing set for my boat trailer we only packed it when we ran long trips - Small Sailboat racing can involve thousands of miles of towing. Some of my more active racing buddies rack up 8000+ miles a year on their boat trailers hauling from San Diego - to Seattle - to Dillion Colorado - Florida Keys - to Sarnia Canada all to race against fellow racers and they do this year around not just in the summer. So yes we often see snow and some have towed through floods. Not your typical summer camping vacation type trailer use.

LOL

I don't pack extra hubs and springs on my little 4x6 tent trailer rig given we only do our longer trips in the Summer months and the trailer is essentially new with very few miles on it. If in a couple of years we decide to haul the kids to Alaska and a few other far places - I'll probably do what John did get a extra spring and add a hub and bearing set for that chance we might drop a bearing or split a leaf spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the space trailer last year and pulled it with my STI. I am in the Military and move every few years. The trailer is great and haven't had any issues traveling across the US. I also use it weekly when i do my garbage runs or when I buy something i can fit in the car. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Another tough find

I am still looking for the right trailer. I would like some thing that could hold my UTV (7x12). Aluminum would be preferred to save weight. I like the cover of the space trailer but the rest would not work for me. A preformed cover is a really good idea.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am still looking for the right trailer. I would like some thing that could hold my UTV (7x12). Aluminum would be preferred to save weight. I like the cover of the space trailer but the rest would not work for me. A preformed cover is a really good idea.
Not sure what your utv weights my dads polaris ranger 6x6 weights 1500lbs thats dry with no gas, you add all the hunting equipment or accesseries it can get up to 1700 to 2klbs its close to the max weight of my outback with a sizable trailer

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought the space trailer last year and pulled it with my STI. I am in the Military and move every few years. The trailer is great and haven't had any issues traveling across the US. I also use it weekly when i do my garbage runs or when I buy something i can fit in the car. Let me know if you have any questions.
pics are always appreciated!!!

i like the space trailer and hope to have one... but i need to finish my little harbor freight trailer first - lol.

joel

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Couple of things - Aluminum trailers for your type of planned use is the wrong type of trailer.
Aluminum doesn't save you much on weight for the open 2500lb axle type trailers talking maybe 100-200lbs max. The issue with Aluminum trailers is that they crack when subjected to over loading and rough use. Thats the type of use you would be doing with the UTV type rig.

Stick with the soft metal standard trailer your not loosing much on empty weight. The JumpingJack trailer is 1200lbs with heavy top deck and tent. This is an example of a very well built and heavy built 6x8 trailer with a 3500lb axle. This works for the UTV. However!!!!!!!!!!!

If you plan on hauling long distance in hot temps your real payload for the OB is going to be no more than 1500lbs if your talking hot temps and long climbs etc. Even with added transmission cooler your still not going to have a functional towing capacity much beyond 1800lbs.

The Jumping Jack trailer the heavy deck is probably about 300lbs and the tent rig is about another 130lbs so subtract 430lbs from the 1200lbs and that gives you a good rough guess what just a basic 6x8 well built open trailer is going to run in empty format.
No idea what the UTV's tip in at but they seem to get bigger and more complex every year I don't see them being all that light.

Just for reference - I have a family member retired uncle who runs up to his Montana Cabin a few times a year from CA- he hauls one or two ATV's 500lb machines with him. When he hauls one machine he has used his little Saturn wagon - his all up tow weight is around 1200lbs with the ATV. That car has done the trim dozens of times but he babies the car and keeps a close eye on it.

For his heavy trips he uses his Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 think 2 ATV's on a 6x8 trailer - he is currently looking for a 4x4 off road pop up camper to add to the truck. This package is well within the trucks capability - his goal is best possible mileage with that rig 18-19mpg is his target. He sold a GMC 7L V8 truck that he used to tow a large RV trailer with or without the trailer it posted 8mpg and could have towed his 3bd 2ba 2000sqft home to Montana if he could figure out a way to put wheels under the house.

Your UTV idea stick to soft metal steel trailers - don't go overboard on the axle rating 3500lbs max this keeps your empty trailer weight down. Don't plan on using the subaru to haul the UTV on long trips and over the Rockies in the summer. Local trips running it over to the 4x4 track near the house etc would work with the subaru.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Couple of things - Aluminum trailers for your type of planned use is the wrong type of trailer.
Aluminum doesn't save you much on weight for the open 2500lb axle type trailers talking maybe 100-200lbs max. The issue with Aluminum trailers is that they crack when subjected to over loading and rough use. Thats the type of use you would be doing with the UTV type rig.

Stick with the soft metal standard trailer your not loosing much on empty weight. The JumpingJack trailer is 1200lbs with heavy top deck and tent. This is an example of a very well built and heavy built 6x8 trailer with a 3500lb axle. This works for the UTV. However!!!!!!!!!!!

If you plan on hauling long distance in hot temps your real payload for the OB is going to be no more than 1500lbs if your talking hot temps and long climbs etc. Even with added transmission cooler your still not going to have a functional towing capacity much beyond 1800lbs.

The Jumping Jack trailer the heavy deck is probably about 300lbs and the tent rig is about another 130lbs so subtract 430lbs from the 1200lbs and that gives you a good rough guess what just a basic 6x8 well built open trailer is going to run in empty format.
No idea what the UTV's tip in at but they seem to get bigger and more complex every year I don't see them being all that light.

Just for reference - I have a family member retired uncle who runs up to his Montana Cabin a few times a year from CA- he hauls one or two ATV's 500lb machines with him. When he hauls one machine he has used his little Saturn wagon - his all up tow weight is around 1200lbs with the ATV. That car has done the trim dozens of times but he babies the car and keeps a close eye on it.

For his heavy trips he uses his Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8 think 2 ATV's on a 6x8 trailer - he is currently looking for a 4x4 off road pop up camper to add to the truck. This package is well within the trucks capability - his goal is best possible mileage with that rig 18-19mpg is his target. He sold a GMC 7L V8 truck that he used to tow a large RV trailer with or without the trailer it posted 8mpg and could have towed his 3bd 2ba 2000sqft home to Montana if he could figure out a way to put wheels under the house.

Your UTV idea stick to soft metal steel trailers - don't go overboard on the axle rating 3500lbs max this keeps your empty trailer weight down. Don't plan on using the subaru to haul the UTV on long trips and over the Rockies in the summer. Local trips running it over to the 4x4 track near the house etc would work with the subaru.

For longer trip capability and still livable every day use size vehicle I would own one of the long bed Crew cab Tacoma's with the 5spd AT. It would easily haul your toy and all the heavy gear and water for extended stays away from the beaten path. The 6ft bed would also enable you to put a light weight 750lb pop up camper on it down the road. The good pop up camper company is based in Woodland CA - they make some amazing campers that are very light. And they have an Artic pack insulated soft side system that makes them very all weather capable for winter camping.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
9 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing