Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
664 Posts
Thought about it. CV axles and wheel bearings are already a high failure part on the 05 xt. Probably would create quicker failures. But, I'd be interested in pics.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Are you talking about body lift spacers or wheel spacers? My reply was to wheel spacers, you're probably talking about lift spacers...

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Definitely a bad idea IMO. Like was mentioned, the xt/lgt has wheel bearing issues as is. Spacers will only exacerbate the issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there a better replacement than OEM for the bearings? I want to do at 1" or 2" in body lift plus springs. I feel that a reasonable wheel spacer would really compliment this setup handling wise...any suggestions?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wheel spacers won't help with handling...They are an aesthetic modification. Put wider wheels with more aggressive rubber on them. No matter what you do, you'll be compromising the life of the wheel bearing. They'll only last longer if the raceway is equally burdened by a load that is distributed on all degrees (360) in total. The legacy wagon has suspension geometry that more sympathetic to wheel bearings. So lifting the Outback will only exacerbate the problem.
That being said, put spacers on your car. Screw the ten-thousand or so miles less that the wheel bearing will last. If you like the looks, that's all that matters. Talk to a your local subaru master tech next time your in for service and find out if the Tribeca's bearing are the same.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Is there a better replacement than OEM for the bearings? I want to do at 1" or 2" in body lift plus springs. I feel that a reasonable wheel spacer would really compliment this setup handling wise...any suggestions?
There is nothing that will compliment that change handling wise. Raising it will only make bad handling worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts