Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited 2.5 with Moonroof in Ice Silver, side molding, puddle lights, PZEV.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you need to get a key that will get you in the car door (can not be used to start the car and the alarm will go off). This works well and can be modified to fit in a wallet. Go to a reputable key shop and show them your transponder key, a match would be a Toyota key blank. They can cut a key for you. Cost was $25. Now all I have to do is keep the spare real key in car to turn off the alarm and use in car.

For those who have ever locked a key in their car.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
If you need to get a key that will get you in the car door (can not be used to start the car and the alarm will go off). This works well and can be modified to fit in a wallet. Go to a reputable key shop and show them your transponder key, a match would be a Toyota key blank. They can cut a key for you. Cost was $25. Now all I have to do is keep the spare real key in car to turn off the alarm and use in car.

For those who have ever locked a key in their car.
Corect me, if I am wrong but I am not sure how you can "lock a key" inside the car on 2013 OB - I think that scenario can never happen the way the remote is designed.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
My wife has done it.
locked the doors just before she got out, phone rang, set keys on passenger seat, got out, shut door, keys on seat.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
How do you "lock the door" before you get out? By accident? I thought if you leave remove FOB inside the car and you get out (with those left inside) you cannot "lock" the car... but I may be wrong... that is truly a bizarre scenario - with no offense to your wife...LOL

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
How do you "lock the door" before you get out? By accident? I thought if you leave remove FOB inside the car and you get out (with those left inside) you cannot "lock" the car... but I may be wrong... that is truly a bizarre scenario - with no offense to your wife...LOL
Common problem with lots of discussion about it on the forum. Here is what can happen . Key is in the ignition. You pull the door latch to open the door and at the same time accidentally hit the manual lock button (by the latch, not the lower buttons on the arm rest). You now close the door and it is locked and the key is still in the ignition. No beeps, no flashes. Remote unlock doesn't work, and shouldn't, because the key is in the ignition. The only way to open it is with your other key.
If you do the same scenario but just leave the key somewhere in the car (not in the ignition) the same applies except in that case your remote unlock will unlock the door.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
hmmm - with 13 OB push button inginiton, how can you have "key" in the ignition...I must have missed something earlier....it probably applies to 2012 OBs then... sorry about that....never mind then....ignore my ramblings.....

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
hmmm - with 13 OB push button inginiton, how can you have "key" in the ignition...I must have missed something earlier....it probably applies to 2012 OBs then... sorry about that....never mind then....ignore my ramblings.....
OP does not have push button start.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I knew I was missing something .. pardon my ignorance, what does "OP" stand for?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I knew I was missing something .. pardon my ignorance, what does "OP" stand for?
<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>What is OP?

</td> <td rowspan="6" align="right">
</td> </tr> <tr><td> OP is "Original Poster"
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Thanks....now I get it... getting old and senile here...LOL

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
griz bear,
great idea! what Toyota blank will fit? Locksmith told me to go to ebay and get a 2012 Sube "service key," but they don't seem to exist, only Sube keys with unprogrammed chip and those cost around $50.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
The ‘problem’ with the OB is the lock lever/latch is dumb/mechanical, as much as unlocking the door with the key (the master at that, mind you) will trigger the alarm.<O:p</O:p
I’ll bet you can still (should you try hard enough) lock yourself out, even with PB ignition.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Anything is possible,, I remember taking a drive 2 hours away to pickup plow for my pickup on the way home after starting out on the interstate I saw the pickup's cap needed to be secured better. I pulled over got out,then my son got out as well and hit the power lock button while closing the door, there we stood freezing outside light snow coming down pickup running, both our cell phones (and coats) in the nice warm truck with our thumbs up our a$$es trying to flag down other drivers to call for HELP. A key hidden on the outside of your vehicle now sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
I also found it annoying that when you manually lock the OB with the spare non-remote key it arms the alarm system, and then you can't open it again without setting off the alarm.

Luckily it's really easy to toggle the alarm system on/off, but the way the manual describes the process makes it seem daunting.

I like to use the spare key when I go running at parks since it's smaller and easier to carry. Now I just turn the alarm system off before I leave, lock the car, and turn the alarm back on when I get back.

·
Registered
2014 6spd
177 Posts
Somehow I managed to lock keys in my OB, with the engine running. Not sure how the heck it happened, but it was a few weeks ago in the middle of a snowstorm at a Ski resort right after my last run. I stayed warm in the bar while i waited an hour for help to arrive. I need to find a way to hide the valet key somewhere under the vehicle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts