Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
they really just look worn (are they original ?), plus, if you've been having some misfires from the worn plugs, the A/F sensor (O2 sensor) may detect that as a rich condition, causing the ECU to pull fuel from the fuel trims.

Givene the state of those plugs and assuming you have no other moderate to major problems with the engine, I'd just monitor the car after the plug change for any issues. Unless you have a way to read the freezeframe data(some OBDII scanners can), it might be hard to know if some other system on the car is forcing the system lean.

and congrats on surviving that job!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hope they're not original haha they are ngkR plfr6a. That's what's written on the plug. But no other problems with the engine although there is a small amount of either smoke or steam that comes from the add oil ..spot? It's not enough for my video camera to pick up but there is some there. Ring land? it's still quite smooth and I didn't notice any misfires although I'm not sure because I wouldn't know what to listen for. I've been looking into some obdII software but have been hesitant because I'm not sure if I would be able to fully take advantage of all the parameters it would be able to log AND display with this car. If say I had a sti I would get it for sure. But I'll check one of the plugs in a weeks time and post a picture. And yes omg it took me forever. I ended up drilling a 2 1/2 inch hole on the passenger side fender behind the plastic inner fender. Just a work car so I wasn't concerned

Edited.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What plug are they? They almost look like iridium plugs, with the tiny taper to the center electrode.

All plugs look lean coming out of EFI vehicles. As long as there is no "splash" of aluminium, they are generally OK.

I took some platinum plugs out of my 4runner a couple of years ago when it developed a miss.......The center electrodes were receded about a tenth of a an inch inside the insulator, and were just starting to misfire. Yours are much better looking than those were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Rivardoutback
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing