Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2000 Outback with 106k on it. I went to check the plugs and found some oil on the boot and seemingly in the deep spark plug "chamber." The plug looked fine, seemed to screwed in tight, and the car runs good. This was on cylinder #1.

I am curious is anyone knows what would have caused this and I hope it is nothing serious.

Thanks in advance! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Don't feel too badly, my 2005 has been doing this since it was BRAND-NEW. I mistakenly thought the oil on the bottom of the engine and bottom oil filter was from the oil filter being loose, so I would keep tightening the filter.

Now, the car has 121,000 miles on it and I just purchased the Fel-Pro (VS 50561 R) kit which has two valve cover gaskets, 10 grommets for the bolts and four round spark plug hole ports - for our 2.5i H4 engine.

I have some adult diaper material (flat, that you place on a seat for someone to sit on), that I will place neatly underneath each side before dismantling, so they will catch all the oil that is 'supposed' to come out when I remove the two covers.

Right now, I am waiting for a good time for my body to do the job, as a lot of bending over the car will really hurt my lower back which is already in pain due to the weather and other unrelated things in my spine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
Actually, its the spark plug "tube" gaskets that are leaking but you will have to change the valve cover gaskets too. They come in a kit. Lots of info on changing them. This is common problem with the 2.5 l subarus.

PS: If your car is not missing yet, it will!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,836 Posts
It's not any more common than leaky Valve cover gaskets given thats what the issue is the spark plug gasket is simply the round gasket in the valve cover going around the spark plug. IE one of the valve cover gaskets.

My experience has been that if a car has not seen proper oil change intervals the valve cover gaskets and the oil pump o-ring seal start leaking by 100K or possibly earlier pending how bad the oil change interval has been. With cars that have seen good oil change history they seem to get into the 150+K range before the valve covers start to leak.

When I had the timing belt done at 105K the dealer service tech told me that about 80% of the 2.5's will need the oil pump cleaned up and the o-ring seal replaced and the other 20% look brand new and clearly have a solid oil change history. He also mentioned that when they inspect possible trade in vehicles the oil pump seal is the first thing they take a peek at to determine just how regular the oil was changed given nearly always the leaky o-ring is a good indicator that other things will be affected with a shorter life like the valve cover gaskets and of course just having poor quality oil run in the engine etc etc.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Storkiln
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing
Top