Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the air filter, and pulled a plug wire on the right side, unfortunately I found oil on the wire boot.

Car has 70,000 miles, 2008. I have the Gold warranty plan. I would hope this is covered. I'll find out tomorrow when I call the dealer.

Its disappointing it happened in less than 70k miles. Looks like a considerable job. On the right side do you have to remove the timing belt cover to remove the rocker cover? It seems you strip the front to point of doing a timing belt change to get access to the cover fasteners.

Has anyone tested the Gold plan for this?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't comment on the Gold Plan, but this is a pretty simple job. Passenger side: pull the intake plumbing, and on the Drivers side I was able to change these out with only pulling the washer bottle. No need to fiddle with the timing cover. Biggest challenge I had was keeping oil from the heads from dripping on everything!

If memory serves; mine started leaking around the spark plug boots probably around 80-90k. I don't think I replace the gaskets until closer to 110k or so though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, be careful when taking the valve covers off, as they will drip out oil. Also disconnect the vacuum tube from the top of each cover going to the air box. If you really want to be preemptive, get some rags or towels positioned underneath the covers to keep oil from running down your exhaust pipes. If oil makes its way inside the heat shields of the pipes, you'll be burning off a lot of smoke when you first fire the engine up again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know which PDF file shows the rocker cover removal and grommet installation? I've got the complete download, and can't find it.

thanks for the replys, I hope its not an argument with the dealer on the Gold Warranty. I would hope its covered, along with a replacement wire set.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only detail I find is in the Engine > Mechanical > General Description file, that contains the exploded views of the entire engine on pg ME(H4)-7. All you'll need to be concerned with are loosening the 5 10mm bolts on each cover (denoted by torque call out T2). Once the cover is off, you'll immediately see the spark plug tube seals, item (8).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good to hear. What mileage/age will the Gold Plan cover this type of stuff up to?

I guess it's not really worth having the valve lash checked while they're in there with only 70k, that can just as easily be done at the 105k T-belt change.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear. What mileage/age will the Gold Plan cover this type of stuff up to?

I guess it's not really worth having the valve lash checked while they're in there with only 70k, that can just as easily be done at the 105k T-belt change.
I bought the 100k/5 yr. Three months ago the rear struts were replaced under it, now this repair, so I've broken even.

Its a matter of opinion, but always buy the extended warranty to 100k. Did the same for my 09 Forester, but have not had to use it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
joe_pinehill
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing