Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i wagon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2005 Outback 2.5i (non turbo) and wanted to change the spark plug wires.

My plug wires have a right angle connector at the coil end and the coil is on the passenger side of the engine.

Apparently 2005 plug wires aren't normally like this? The local Subaru dealer had 2007 Outback wires, which are like mine.

Why would my 2005 need 2007 plug wires?

BTW I'm in Ohio.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Outback Ltd.
205 Posts
Maybe the PO made a mistake and put 07 wires in or maybe that's all he had access to. Since you're going to change the wires anyway, put 05's back in.

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
Is there enough room on both sides of the coil to connect straight spark plug wires to the high voltage towers on the coil assembly?

The straight wires were used when the coil was mounted on top of the intake manifold (previous models), and there was lots of room on both sides to go "straight in". But I suspect that with the coil mounted vertically on the back of the manifold, making the connection will require a tight bend in the wires, which is not a good idea, consequently the use of 90 degree fittings when the coil is in behind.

There might have been some 2005s that were "crossovers" and had the coil up on top, leading to parts lists with straight fitting spark plug wires.

See: http://opposedforces.com/parts/lega..._electronic/spark_plug_and_high_tension_cord/

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i wagon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2005 wires won't work because there isn't enough room at the coil for the straight connectors. Also, none of the 2005 wires are long enough to reach from the coil (on the passenger side of the engine) to the driver side cylinders.

·
Registered
18,428 Posts
Probably 90 degrees. From 2005, the coil is mounted on the back of the right side intake manifold, which, as noted, doesn't allow space for the straight fittings, and requires different lengths. Prior to this the coil was on top center of the manifold.

See attached drawing from the 2005 FSM, Ignition section. There's two clearly two versions of coil location and wires.

If your coil is on the back of the manifold, the right angle type wires are the correct ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i wagon
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the information. What is the 'U5 model' that I see references to?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts