Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a recommendation on some high quality aftermarket spark plug wire sets? Or should I just get OEM?

I DO NOT want to cut my own cables. I hate that :mad:

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
I would go with OEM wire's,i don't know of any after market place that can get the length right with out spending an arm & leg for them.They always come up short and don't last as long.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I'm in the same market right now.

From everything I've heard and read online, NGK Plugs and Wires are the way to go. My manual even recommends NGK as alternates to OEM.

None of my local auto stores carry them so I'm looking for them online.

Having a **** of a time finding a place that sells them though. If anyone knows of a place, let me know!

·
Registered
2007 outback MT
135 Posts
Im also in the market for wires. So far i have found that bosch makes some nice ones, and also magnacor makes a set. Magnacors are pretty expensive (about $90) but the bosch set sounds pretty promising at around $60. From what i understand the main feature to look for in wires is quality insulation so that magnetic fields and such do not interfere with the signal.
Just bought bosch 4+ plugs, but kind of procrastinating since i practially have to remove half the engine bay to get at the old ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided on going OEM. The reason why is they fit better than any of the aftermarkets and the OEM IS a really nice wireset. I checked the bosch out and I was not impressed. I also have had some problems with their wires in the past. Bosch has good spark plugs and good wipers but there wires are just ok.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I too have decided on going OEM after getting a good price quote.

I'll be buying from www.SubaruParts.com

However, I'm still searching for a nice set of NGK Plugs. I guess for an engine with 145,000 miles on it a set of Bosch would work fine, but for a few bucks more why not go for something even better?

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
"From what i understand the main feature to look for in wires is quality insulation so that magnetic fields and such do not interfere with the signal."

i don't think insulation does much for RF interference; this comes mostly from the design of the current carrying core and plug connector. several of the higher end plug wires use a twisted or spiral wrapped wire core for the current transmission of real wire with the RF suppression of carbon fiber cores. MSD claims that their high end set has only 40-50 ohms/ft resistance, but unless you have a ChevroFord, you gotta measure and cut. they do work well, tho, and shd outlast a couple of sets of carbon core wires. they are starting to make em for the sport compact market so they may have some for WRXs that would fit.

no expereince with Magnecors, but they seem to be popular with the SCCA types and the ones i've seen fit well. and since i've seen em used with a TEC2 setup, they must be OK on the RF interference front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts