Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the plugs in my '11 Outback 2.5L and I see conflicting plugs numbers. I have 80,000+ miles and with this downtime we're going through, this seems like it would be a good time to replace them.

I'm looking to use NGKs iridiums and I sometimes see SIFR6A11 or BKR6EIX-11 (which also shows another number '3764').

Subaru's part number shows #22301AA731 which I believe translates to SIFR6A11, however, I see the BKR6EIX-11 mentioned more often in posts, so which ones to use....does it matter? By the way, NGK's site references Subaru part number #22301AA730.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
895 Posts
SIFR6A11 is the OE part and literally what the OE plugs will say when you pull them. Looking at NGK's website looks like the other also would work, but it wouldn't be the OE plug so might have different characteristics. Using NGK's parts search looks like there are four other plugs outside the OE one that could be used: NGK Spark Plugs on NGK.com

Looks like the one you're referencing (BKR6EIX-11) seems to be a "performance part" for whatever that means in a 2.5l naturally aspirated engine in a large wagon.... lol.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,209 Posts
From memory the SIFR6xxx plugs are platinum and the BKR6xxx-11 plugs are iridium.

Both plugs are the same heat range (6) and without actually looking up the data I would think they are just alternate plugs with different electrode types.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
955 Posts
either one will work and to be honest I would just get the cheaper of the two. Both will easily go 100K miles

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
192 Posts
I have a 2011 OB and Legacy 2.5. I use whatever plugs the Parts Counter guy at the dealership gives me :) I'm sorry for not being very helpful. You're definitely good with NGK no matter what. Have fun catching-up on your Honey-Do List.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll end up going with the BRK6EIX-11s as they're about 60% of the cost of the SIFR6A11s. Both are actually iridiums, neither are platinum. So I'll go the 'performance route' for the station wagon!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
895 Posts
I'll end up going with the BRK6EIX-11s as they're about 60% of the cost of the SIFR6A11s. Both are actually iridiums, neither are platinum. So I'll go the 'performance route' for the station wagon!
Make sure you drive responsibly with the performance increase you'll undoubtedly find with this change :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note - makes sense with the price difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts