Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I'll do my 1st 60k ml service and will need to replace spark plugs.
would you point me to any video or DIY guide with pics for Spark Plugs replacement for 2013 2.5? please.

any tips are very welcome
I ordered this tool tite-reach
anything else on top of new spark plugs and anti seize?

thanks.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
903 Posts
If your OEM spark plugs are NGK or Denso iridium plugs, you are wasting your money replacing them before 120,000 to 150,000 miles. If you maintain your vehicle properly, good-quality iridium plugs will often do 200,000 miles before they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all for replies
for Lexus I replaced spark plugs OE at 90k - V6 - was PITA 4+ hours for me
but, in OB service it states at 60k
are OE in OB with IR on ground wire as well? or just Platinum or not at all - any ideas?
do many skip 60k for Spark Plugs replacement and did it at 90k or 120k or when?

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT, 2014 Outback Premium
41 Posts
I had a Subaru Independent shop do mine at 60k. Was about $150. I provided the NGK Iridium plugs.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
thanks all for replies
for Lexus I replaced spark plugs OE at 90k - V6 - was PITA 4+ hours for me
but, in OB service it states at 60k
are OE in OB with IR on ground wire as well? or just Platinum or not at all - any ideas?
do many skip 60k for Spark Plugs replacement and did it at 90k or 120k or when?

thanks
Excellent call on the Tite-Reach tool. It will be an absolute sanity saver on the driver side. Not quite as important on the passenger side, but it could still help.

Have you got an assortment of wobble extensions? I can't remember which length is ideal, so having an assortment is helpful.

I would recommend staying with the 60k mile interval, as recommended by Subaru. There are a lot of comments from experienced Subaru mechanics on this discussion board that explain that Subaru engines tend to be a little harder on plugs, thus the 60k service instead of a typical 100k or 120k interval for iridium plugs.

When I did my 60k mile service, the best price I could find on the NGK SILZKAR7B11 (93482) plugs was Rock Auto. But now, I see that they can be had on Amazon Prime for $10 ea. That's much better than anywhere else I've seen.

https://www.amazon.com/NGK-SILZKAR7B11-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B009MVNSGQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523330732&sr=1-1&keywords=NGK+SILZKAR7B11

By the way, NGK strongly recommends against using anti-seize on these plugs. They have a special trivenant coating on the threads, and NGK claims that using anti-seize on these plugs can lead to over torquing. As long as you change plugs on a 60k interval, you won't need anti-seize. But if you try going 120k miles, you may want to use the anti-seize, but reduce torque by about 20%. Personally, I find it wise to follow the NGK recommendation. When you pull the old plugs, you will notice that Subaru did not apply anti-seize to the OEM plugs.

NGK Spark Plugs.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered 14mm spark plug socket as well, I thought I have it, but what I used is 5/8, those plugs are smaller
yes, I ordered plugs from amazon
now I need to gap it to 0.044, while not touch IR and platinum to not damage it

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I ordered 14mm spark plug socket as well, I thought I have it, but what I used is 5/8, those plugs are smaller
yes, I ordered plugs from amazon
now I need to gap it to 0.044, while not touch IR and platinum to not damage it
Sounds like you are close to ready. As far as gap, my plugs were already spot on. I know it is always recommended to check them, but you shouldn't need to adjust them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think Youtube has a video (for a 2012 0r 2014), You will need to remove the battery and mount, also the Air intake. Have time to this repair and don't rush

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, last Saturday I replaced spark plugs ;-)
was it easy? No
was it too hard? No
as it was already mentioned it's all about tools you have or you don't
what I didn't have? 2.5" extension or 0.5"
I have 3" and 2", so I had to use and swap both as needed
the 0.5" would be the best to use with 14mm socket and tite-reach
maybe I didn't use tite-reach correctly? I don't know, but it ether can't get in or too shot to connect to 14mm socket
that 3/8" adapter was just too long to allow it get in place
however, it somehow worked out on drover side, where nothing else worked

it took me about 2 hours, including MAF and throttle be cleaned

sure air filter and oil and filter were replaced as well

but, I don't see any MPG or etc improvements ... do you?

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
903 Posts
You are unlikely to see any MPG improvements by replacing spark plugs that were probably still in near-perfect shape (if they were indeed NGK or Denso iridium plugs).

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are unlikely to see any MPG improvements by replacing spark plugs that were probably still in near-perfect shape (if they were indeed NGK or Denso iridium plugs).
yes, the plugs were the same NGK
no, I can't see any degradation or wear, sure those don't look like shiny new - so I packed those

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No, you should not see any fuel economy or performance improvement when you change plugs to the recommended service interval, and they are still in good condition. If you had neglected the maintenance schedule and waited until the plugs were severely worn before replacement, then you would have noticed a significant improvement.

That is what preventative maintenance versus reactionary repair is all about. The intent is to keep your car always performing like it should so there will be no loss in performance or unnecessary wear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've replaced our plugs a number of times, and it's improved mpg and detonation quality. You should see a couple point increases in mpg, especially if the plugs were shot. Our Outback gets a lot of city type driving which is pretty hard on the car.
Regards

·
Registered
'12 OBP 2.5 CVT
25 Posts
Just changed the plugs today on our 2012 2.5 at 70k. Passenger side not too bad, driver side tougher, and the rear is tight.
Love my GearWrench 80546 magnetic swivel spark plug socket! Helpful to have a couple wobble extensions in different sizes. I have a stubby 3/8 socket wrench I used for the rear.

Wound up removing 3 bolts to lift the fuse box, to get the rear coil out and in. Didn’t remove battery. Used the NGK iridium plugs.
First time wrenching under the hood of the Soob, a little unfamiliar to me, and this is our third.

Hopefully I’ll be back here in another 60-70k!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts