Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'00 base Outback Wagon with AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the spark plugs (NGK V-Power) last month and are gapped at .040...recommended are .0039 to .043. The old ones were Champions and gapped at .050 to .052. Just curious what effect these out of spec plugs had on gas mileage, performance and such? BTW, I believe these old plugs are OEM when I bought the car used at 13,275 miles and change them at 35,770.

TIA

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
You meant .039 to .043, of course, not .0039! :)

Thought Subaru only used NGK... not that I'd be the one to know.

If those Champions were in there for the whole 35770 miles they could have been set to .04 and the gap just eroded normally to .05.

In fact, it might be possible that they were changed just before sold to you and still might increase in gap by about .01" in the 22495 miles since then.

Which causes me to ask if anyone is regapping their spark plugs on a regular basis and, if so, how many miles between doing so?

I've only seen talk of replacing them, I used to regap them for my previous cars/trucks after a couple years then replace two years later. Figuring the same for the Subaru. I sure hope the H4 is easy as it looks when it comes to getting those things out! Had to deal with the truck's steering column. Read here that it can take a little effort but I'm used to the tight squeezes.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Depending on the model, Subaru's had come with Champions. Mine did ('02 OBS) And the gap problem, your plugs wore that way with every mile. The computer will make up for small gap differences from the recommended gap, but after that it's a performance loss. I changed my Champions to NGK at around four thousand miles on the clock.

Ngk's are hard to beat. Brian

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I'm still searching for a set of NGK plugs online, they are surprisingly hard to come by. Any recommendations on what type would be good? It's all very confusing to me. Guitar string gauges I understand. Spark Plug gaps I do not!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Greeny, call a local auto parts store, give 'em info on engine, they can cross reference al plug types, makes, models. There are like four or five NGK plug types I think, but even the normal electrode is a great plug. Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I guess I want the NGK V-Power plugs. The Iridiums seem overkill for my car with 147k miles...and I'd like something a little better than "standard," so the V-Power look like my plugs.

But I still can't find them online anywhere, I'd rather buy them online cause if I go to a local store who knows how they might jack up the prices...

Anyone with any help as to where I can find some NGK V-Powers online let me know. I've googled it and the only sites that come up seem like rag-tag places that I don't really trust.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Got 'em.

Bought them from www.clubplug.net
Package came from Canada, the plug boxes are in English and French, I love Canada.

So now I've got 4 new NGK V-Power plugs, gapped to ~.040, 4 new OEM plug wires, grease, and anti-seize. Will probably do my first-ever plug change sometime next week. Fun. I can't wait, my current plugs might very well be over 100k miles old!

(Also bought an oil filter, gonna do my first-ever oil change sometime soon too!)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Greeny, do not overtorque the plugs. I forget if the Subaru ones come with a metal gasket/washer on the end. If they have the gasket already on the threads, take it easy. If they don't come with a washer you can put an extra 1/4 to 1/2 turn on them I believe. Have a good time. Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts