Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience in changing sparkplugs in the 2.5. I was looking at my 02 OBS and it looks like they arepretty hard to get to. Any advice?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just replaced all of mine and it is actually a pretty simple task. For the left side of the engine bay you have to remove the air intake and resinator boxes. Most of this you can pull out without tools, but i think there are 2 bolts to be removed. The right side is a bit tougher. You have to loosen the winsheild washer resivoir. However i was able to replace the plugs without removing the hoses from the resivoir, just make sure the it is at most half full. As far as the spark plugs go a long extension helps alot here. All in all this took about 20 min.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changed my plugs and had a question. I was kind of concerned about the corrosion on the end of the plugs. Is this normal for Subaru's. Thanks

Attachments

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Corrosion exactly where? I see some on the nut portion of the plugs and that is nothing to worry about. Is there whitish/reddish on the tips of the electrodes? I can't tell by the pics, but everything looks allright to me. Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
sparkplug change

I am trying to learn the best method, and another site said to approach the task from underneath the car, and avoid removing reservoir, etc. The dealer wants $200 (with plugs costing--get this--$21 apiece). LOL!!!:eek:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
tonicfive, what engine do you have and what year? It's not in your profile and you did not tell us. And you can do it easily with removing the plastic intake tubing on one side and unscrewing the washer fluid tank and setting it against the shock tower. No problemo. If it's a four cylinder. Brian

·
Registered
90 Posts
lukeg199 said:
I just replaced all of mine and it is actually a pretty simple task. For the left side of the engine bay you have to remove the air intake and resinator boxes. Most of this you can pull out without tools, but i think there are 2 bolts to be removed. The right side is a bit tougher. You have to loosen the winsheild washer resivoir. However i was able to replace the plugs without removing the hoses from the resivoir, just make sure the it is at most half full. As far as the spark plugs go a long extension helps alot here. All in all this took about 20 min.
Good luck!
20 minutes and no tools? What are YOU smoking!! Did mine today, it took 2-1/2 hours. A royal PITA, although it was worth it.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Can do mine in less than 20 minutes. Depends if you have your plastic intake plumbing on your passenger side, what tools you have, and how long you don't want to spend hanging over a hot engine. Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
bheinz57
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing