Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MB Quarts are great sounding but way too expensive! 40-32,000 freq response. I would like to find one close to those specs in a 6.5 componet speaker with tweeter. minimal wattage. I'd like to be able to hear at age 50 someday! How bout x-overs.... finding space to mount one? also a coaxial for the rear doors similar specs.:eek:

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Don't get carried away with quoted figures for frequency response unless they quote at what +/- dB level they are talking about.

In fact just about ALL speakers can quote that figure of 40Hz-32,000Hz. It depends on how loud it is through the entire frequency response that counts. It maybe able to reproduce a sound at 40Hz but it maybe so quiet that you can't here it. If they put parameters of + or - 3dB on that frequency response then you might have a **** good speaker.

Best way to judge speakers is to go and LISTEN to them with songs that YOU know not songs that they know will make the speaker sound better than it is.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
MB Quarts are good, but you don't need that kind of expensive stuff to have a nice listening experience in your Outback. Sure, separates are good, but you don't really need them either. Just get some decent Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse... Any thing should deliver much better sound than the stockies. Brian

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the whole point of a passive or electronic X-over is to maximize power to individual componets to get the best sound and minimal distortion at hi spl's . I've tried Pioneer speakers they suck! Polk audio has much better stuff for the price. I'm abit picky when it comes to sound ( was a sound engineer for 5yrs for local bands) I had everything at my disposal . I guess I got spoiled! I just want good sound at a reasonable price.

I'ts nice to hear a splash cymbal or deep bass note.:cool:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I remember back when I thought Polk Audio was good stuff, that sucks...I have sent back so many drivers to them I lost count. Home audio, that is. Center channel drivers, M5 drivers, it is ridiculous. I have never had any problems with any other speakers but Polk. And if you like 'em that much, I have some 5 x 7 plate speakers for a car if you want 'em. Junk. Brian

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no fan of polk audio mind you. They were installed in my truck before I bought it many years ago. I was just making a comparison to Pioneer. You must have really gotten a bad batch of drivers. I'll pass on the speakers thanks anyway. :eek:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Yeah but the speakers were bought over a period of like seven years. I complained to Polk many times and they try and blame my amplifiers. Anyway, at least they did send me a new driver for every one I sent them (aroundfive total).
But I will say, no more Polk for me anymore. Brian

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I bought the MB Quarts

I shopped and listened to alot of speakers.......I had to anti up ....bottom line the MB Quarts stomped everything! So my '03 outback will get DSE216 6.5" for the front with tweeters/x-over. The rear will recieveDKD 116 6.5" coaxial. Cost was $248.00 including shipping! not to bad really. The fun part is trying to find a space for the X-over.:cool:

·
Registered
151 Posts
As with cheap tires, life is too short to put up with crappy speakers. I can't fault anyone for ponying up for decent audio components, money well spent :) I can't wait to replace the stock base stereo in my 02 OBS. I think as long as you stick with an audiophile brand (MB Quart, Infinity, Boston Acoustics) you can't go wrong.

-Peter

·
Registered
Liberty/Legacy 3.0R spec B
172 Posts
Has anyone tried putting aftermarket speakers in the new 3.0R Outback yet? I'd like to upgrade the speakers in mine as the factory jobs are a bit weak to say the least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts